Spooling Stops and then Starts again

Joe Banks

Good evening,

We are having a big problem with printing from a Win2000 server to a Canon
ImageRunner 110. Our application is spooling about 3000 jobs that are
about two pages a piece.

If you look at the printer on the server the 3000 jobs are sitting there
waiting to print. Usually what happens is between 4-10 jobs are requested
by/sent to the printer, they print and then there is a delay of about 5
minutes before the next jobs are requested by/sent to the printer. As you
can tell, this is causing our print times to take an extremely long time.
The printer is capable of printing 110 pages/minute and it is taking all
day and night to print 15,000 pages.

Does anyone have an idea what could cause this?

In normal operations, does the spooler continually try to send the job to
the printer or does the print ask for the job?

Can anyone think of a way to determine what device (printer/spooler) is
causing the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
Subject: Spooling Stops and then Starts again
From: Joe Banks <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 20:00:49 -0800

Good evening,

--

Joe,

What port are we using to print to the printer? I ask because the problem sounds like a known issue when trying to print
using the LPR port. This issue happens because by default LPR only uses TCP ports 721 - 731 and then it has to wait for
the ports to be reset before it can use them again.

If the print server device supports it, what happens if we use the Standard TCP/IP port to print to the printer? I ask because
the Standard TCP/IP port does not have this limit.

If you are using the LPR port you may want to look at the following article, which tells how to change the default behavior of
LPR so it will use TCP ports 1024 and up.

179156 - Updated TCP/IP Printing Options for Windows NT 4.0 SP3 and Later
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];179156

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.