Specifying a wirelessly networked laptop

Reaction score
Hi all,

First time in the forum. Need some advice about buying a laptop & deciding on the best way of achieving what I need to do. A relative of mine has asked me - no idea why - for advice on what hardware to buy to achieve the following:-

Their requirement is to replace their existing pc with a laptop wirelessly networked. The main intended use of the laptop would be for internet browsing, sending / receving email, watching DVD's, recording on to hard drive whilst watching tv [preferablely ability to record another channel to the one you are watching] on to either the hard drive or a DVD. Ease of use. Watching TV. Easy to download pictures etc from a digital camera [camera not yet bought]. I have looked around and to me the best all round solution would be a wireless ADSL router modem with print server capability, as there is a requirement to print some of the images taken by the camera. I am fairly familiar with a DRAYTek vigour 2600we ADSL router modem and am thinking of advising the following:-

Router:- Draytek Vigor 2600G 54Mbps ADSL Wireless Router w/Printer Server [as it will be me setting up the network]

Laptop:- Acer Aspire 9500 Centrino model [cant find any reveiws on the net about this product - not even sure it will achieve what I am tasked with achieving.]

Printer: -not yet decided

The requirement is to update their computer, portable tv, dvd recorder, etc, have a lot more besides without the dangers of overspecifying, into one device. No cables etc.

Any advice that someone could offer would be greatly appreciated as it is their money and I wouldn't want to spend it recklessly as it is a relative.

Ta

Ask a Question