sp2 windows update bug?

T

Tom

francis gérard said:
that's right... hit-n-run with an uninformed opinion and not bother to
qualify your commentary with actual facts, even anecdotally

i don't suppose you even bothered to follow this discussion thread either,
or read any of the references i provided for your enlightenment

Here's an example of an update recommended for my video card, and note the size, and the dates (the dates are very skewed, and one can be fool one into installing it). When I tried this update back in March, it took all the functions of my card drivers down to a very basic setup; hell, I only had 3 choice for a refresh rate, and no controls, other than a basic original windows setup. Here is what it states from WU:

"ATI Technologies, Inc - Video - 128MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
Date last published: 7/28/2004
Download size: 3.2 MB
ATI Technologies Inc. display software update released on December 12 2003.
System Requirements
Recommended CPU: Not specified.
Recommended memory: Not specified.
Recommended hard disk space: Not specified."

Pretty vague huh? Note that it says updated July 28, 2004, but the actual file was released Dec 12, 2003, and the size is only 3.2 megs (an indicator to me that it is not a total driver setup) and is no better than the builtin Windows driver; the newest driver for my card is 26megs! There have been 4 releases between Dec 2003 and now for my card, and all are WHQL certified. (Which I would still use even if they weren't WHQL, since ATI makes my card, not MS)

You can post all the links you like, but you'll find you are the only one that will tell others to use WU for their hradware driver needs, when it shouldn't be the (recommended) source.

Ask a Question