SP2 and Norton Antivirus

Ginger

I have installed SP2 manually after it was available. It never did
automatically start downloading. Anyway, I have encountered one thing that
is very odd. I have Norton Antivirus which seems to be working fine and has
even downloaded new updates but every time I boot up I get a popup balloon
on the taskbar warning me that my virus scan program 'may' be out of date
and to follow their recommendations (which when I click the ballon I get the
Security center which doesn't really have anything more than generic
information). What is this about? Is all SP2 supposed to do is remind me
every time I boot up to check my virus protection or am I missing something?
So far, this seems like an awfully expensive, unintelligent popup reminder
that I really don't have a need for.

NoNoBadDog!

You need to run LiveUpdate *AFTER* installation of SP2. The Norton WMI
update will be installed.

Bobby

Ginger

I tried to manually get updates and Live Update told me that everything was
fine. Then Microsoft gave me the same message about my virus protection
status being unknown. It does appear that Windows is aware that I have
Norton Antivirus (Symantec).

"NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
You need to run LiveUpdate *AFTER* installation of SP2. The Norton WMI
update will be installed.

Bobby

ken

ignore it as norton uses programing so 'virus' can not see
it working, or screw with it. turn off messages

Paul E

Do you happen to have Norton 2003? It looks to me that this version which
Symantec supports with regular updates may not however be supported through
this Symantec-to-Security Centre cross-reference. I see similar issues with
Norton 2003 systems and no such problems for Norton 2004 systems... but
there may of course be some other factor.

Howard Harris

Do you happen to have Norton 2003? It looks to me that this version which
Symantec supports with regular updates may not however be supported through
this Symantec-to-Security Centre cross-reference. I see similar issues with
Norton 2003 systems and no such problems for Norton 2004 systems... but
there may of course be some other factor.

You are correct. Symantec have issued a patch via live update - for 2004
programmes only - so that they can work properly with the Security Center.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...213?OpenDocument&tpre=&csm=no&src=con_web_nam

Ginger

I do have Norton 2003. I guess that's the deal. I'm not going to buy 2004
just for this as long as 2003 still works. I will disable those messages. I
think a lot of people still have 2003 and even 2002 with Windows XP so I
don't know why they would not support it. Anyway, thanks for the info.

Do you happen to have Norton 2003? It looks to me that this version which
Symantec supports with regular updates may not however be supported through
this Symantec-to-Security Centre cross-reference. I see similar issues with
Norton 2003 systems and no such problems for Norton 2004 systems... but
there may of course be some other factor.

Tom Pepper Willett

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/sp2/faq.html

Tom
| I do have Norton 2003. I guess that's the deal. I'm not going to buy
2004
| just for this as long as 2003 still works. I will disable those messages.
| think a lot of people still have 2003 and even 2002 with Windows XP so I
| don't know why they would not support it. Anyway, thanks for the info.
|

| | Do you happen to have Norton 2003? It looks to me that this version which
| Symantec supports with regular updates may not however be supported
through
| this Symantec-to-Security Centre cross-reference. I see similar issues
with
| Norton 2003 systems and no such problems for Norton 2004 systems... but
| there may of course be some other factor.
|
| | >I tried to manually get updates and Live Update told me that everything
was
| > fine. Then Microsoft gave me the same message about my virus protection
| > status being unknown. It does appear that Windows is aware that I have
| > Norton Antivirus (Symantec).

| > update will be installed.
| >
| > Bobby

| >> automatically start downloading. Anyway, I have encountered one thing
| >> that
| >> is very odd. I have Norton Antivirus which seems to be working fine
and
| >> has
| >> even downloaded new updates but every time I boot up I get a popup
| >> balloon
| >> on the taskbar warning me that my virus scan program 'may' be out of
date
| >> and to follow their recommendations (which when I click the ballon I
get
| >> the
| >> Security center which doesn't really have anything more than generic
| >> information). What is this about? Is all SP2 supposed to do is remind
| >> me
| >> every time I boot up to check my virus protection or am I missing
| >> something?
| >> So far, this seems like an awfully expensive, unintelligent popup
| >> reminder
| >> that I really don't have a need for.

Sunny

A snippet from the Norton pages :
"The Windows Security Center passively monitors and reports the operating
status of your antivirus and firewall products. However, Windows Security
Center may not be able to determine the working status of Symantec products
due to the tamper protection technology embedded in Symantec products."

Anonymous

Ginger said:
I have installed SP2 manually after it was available. It never did
automatically start downloading. Anyway, I have encountered one thing that
is very odd. I have Norton Antivirus which seems to be working fine and has
even downloaded new updates but every time I boot up I get a popup balloon
on the taskbar warning me that my virus scan program 'may' be out of date
and to follow their recommendations (which when I click the ballon I get the
Security center which doesn't really have anything more than generic
information). What is this about? Is all SP2 supposed to do is remind me
every time I boot up to check my virus protection or am I missing something?
So far, this seems like an awfully expensive, unintelligent popup reminder
that I really don't have a need for.

Have you run NAV's LiveUpdate recently?

Anonymous

NoNoBadDog! said:
You need to run LiveUpdate *AFTER* installation of SP2. The Norton WMI
update will be installed.

Bobby

I don't have SP-2, and LiveUpdate already installed the WMI update on my
computer.

Don Taylor

Ginger said:
I have installed SP2 manually after it was available. It never did
automatically start downloading. Anyway, I have encountered one thing that
is very odd. I have Norton Antivirus which seems to be working fine and has
even downloaded new updates but every time I boot up I get a popup balloon
on the taskbar warning me that my virus scan program 'may' be out of date
and to follow their recommendations (which when I click the ballon I get the
Security center which doesn't really have anything more than generic
information). What is this about? Is all SP2 supposed to do is remind me
every time I boot up to check my virus protection or am I missing something?
So far, this seems like an awfully expensive, unintelligent popup reminder
that I really don't have a need for.

If you open up the "Security Center" and click on the section about
viruses there is a little box you can check to say that you already
have your own virus checking program and you will check it yourself.
It does say that if you do this then they aren't going to check it
for you and blah blah blah.
I believe after that the little popup will stop whining at you.

Don Taylor

NoNoBadDog! said:
You need to run LiveUpdate *AFTER* installation of SP2. The Norton WMI
update will be installed.

I did that and it still whined at me, until I clicked the little boxes
in the MS security center to say I had my own firewall and antivirus
and would check them myself. After that I think it stopped whining.

CS

Ginger:

The WMI patch for NAV 2004 works just fine for NAV 2003. Download it
and run it. Then you'll be able to turn on the SCP warnings to
monitor the status. Thanks to Mr. Francis Gerard for the information
about the WMI patch.

Ginger

How do you download the WMI patch if you don't have NAV 2004? From
everything I found on the Norton site there is only informaton about using
live update to get it. Nothing about manually downloading it. Do you have
a link?

Ginger:

The WMI patch for NAV 2004 works just fine for NAV 2003. Download it
and run it. Then you'll be able to turn on the SCP warnings to
monitor the status. Thanks to Mr. Francis Gerard for the information
about the WMI patch.

CS

Hi Ginger:

Here's the link:

http://www.neowin.net/staff/RadishTM/Norton_WMI_Update.rar

Note: You will need a program to be able to uncompress the downloaded
file. It's not in the normal zip format, but rather uses RAR
compression. Look for the shareware version of WinRAR which will be
able to uncompress the files.

Also, Symantec support has stated they will release the WMI update for
NAV 2003 shortly. You may want to wait for that instead.

Ginger

Thanks so much for the link. I downloaded it and it works now.

Hi Ginger:

Here's the link:

http://www.neowin.net/staff/RadishTM/Norton_WMI_Update.rar

Note: You will need a program to be able to uncompress the downloaded
file. It's not in the normal zip format, but rather uses RAR
compression. Look for the shareware version of WinRAR which will be
able to uncompress the files.

Also, Symantec support has stated they will release the WMI update for
NAV 2003 shortly. You may want to wait for that instead.

CS

OK, great. Glad it worked out well. Regards.