Southern Electric man ruins psd99's COMPUTER

Reaction score
I was up at just past the crack of dawn.

We've been expecting the electric man to look at our meter. To cut a long story short he had to take the power out of our house for a while. My pc was on and got turned off ungracefully.

Now I am having a problem. First of all I get no post. But whenever I take the ATX power supply out of the board and reinsert it I do get a POST. But when I get this post all it will say is the usual bios stuff
but it will HANG it will only say XP3200 and CPU ID

Then it will hang and at the bottom it says

Press F9 for express recovery

Press Del for Options/dual bios (something like this)

Okay so I thought good idea let me try hit F9

NOTHING HAPPENS

my keyboard won't work.

Next thing I tried was to reset cmos the motherboard don't have those jumpers... where's that damn manual? I must have seen it so many times and in my hour of need it's missing. I have just taken out the battery in the hope that it will reset cmos.

I don't know what else do to? Any ideas?
I hope to god that my data is still in tact all 2 TB of it.

Please help.

Reaction score
Oh man this is getting to me now.

I took the battery out and still nothing happens
the bios is hanging this is really upsetting me!

Reaction score
First of all I get no post. But whenever I take the ATX power supply out of the board and reinsert it I do get a POST

Having read this I would be Inclined to suspect the PSU has had a voltage surge
have you another PSU to try?

Reaction score
i get a amber light on the motherboard i dont know if this is normal.

the board?

its a gigabyte pro2 7400

ive just removed all ide devices still same problem
no sucess yet

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Most likely cause is the PSU's shot.

Second most likely cause is your motherboard is kaput.

And if the board's faulty, other components may have suffered too.

First stop is substitute PSU and then take it from there.

A school I do work for suffered a power cut.

When the power returned the surge knocked out three industrial contacta relay units and six computers.

Lots of work for me, lol, but expensive for the school.

And the electricty company refused all requests to offer any financial compensation and apparently they are quite within their rights.

This is where UPS's earn their money I guess ;)

Reaction score
I've tried a lot of combinations next thing to try is the PSU. I'll rip it out of another machine, but wonder how the PSU has gone bad if I can still power up properly. But still worth a shot.

If that dont work your right it is the motherboard. This really does hurt.

Can you think of anything else I can try?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
There are several voltage rails to a PSU, some parts of your motherboard may work where others may not if the PSU is damaged.

And even if a voltage is present, the PSU may not be able to deliver enough current if damaged.

Measuring the voltages on your main motherboard connector would help, just short the green and the black to start the PSU then measure each coloured wire WRT a black (0V),

But only do that if you understand what I've said and you know what you're doing.

Reaction score
well I got another psu here but sadly it doesn't have that extra 12v supply that plugs into the board.

So what I did do is stick in my "not so sure if faulty PSU" into another working system and it worked fine. Powered up and started to read the memory and IDE devices
I did try to reset CMOS bascially on this board there isn't the normal pins, it's more like soldered pins on to the board itself. I stuck my screwdriver on them at the same time, right thing to do? But no such luck when I first did this it started to read my memory, but then I messed it up I should have gone into express recovery. Instead I decided to power off and reconnect my devices.

My CPU now gets identified as Athlon 1100 but it's really a XP 3200.

I got a friend with a socket A motherboard hopefully he will bring it over tomorrow. It's such a shame this Gigabyte board has been very special and it'll be sad to see it go.

Damn I am so upset right now, I can't sleep at night with my server not running. :( I am one of those hardware/pc insane persons for sure.

Reaction score
If your set up is fubar and you want replacement let me know.
Is your board ATX or matx?

I have an Abit NF7-s rev 2 and a mobile xp2500 (good for 2.5 ghz if juiced up)

Reaction score
vaio said:
If your set up is fubar and you want replacement let me know.
Is your board ATX or matx?

I have an Abit NF7-s rev 2 and a mobile xp2500 (good for 2.5 ghz if juiced up)

Hi,

It is a ATX, that sounds good thanks.

I would only need the motherboard though.

Will keep you updated pal.

Reaction score
GOT IT SORTED.

I took out all components.

I typed in "bios hangs" in google, then I didn't know this but to clear cmos you have to shorten the pins for 30 seconds not 10. So I shortened them for 1 minute. I also found the power pins on the board a little bent. I did try straighten them.

I got BIOS to read the memory and IDE devices before I got "CMOS error Press F1 to continue."

I could not press any key except the del key. I kept getting into BIOS but no further it was almost as if the PC was hanging again. So I tried PS2 keyboard same thing. I'm thinking FFS why is this not working. Then I realised that the ****ty F MODE was turned on.

After turning this off I got past bios and I am now in the machine typing to you all.

I have made a few errors. I got angry yesterday and whilst trying to take out the floppy drive I have managed to snap the Gigabyte pro rocket CPU cooler's fan mate.

So my system right now sounds like a BOEING 747 it's so annoying...

Also I seem to have made a mistake on the IDE LED on the case. It's not lighing up... I'm not going to touch this now..

So I put to you

Does anyone have what I am looking for?

It's a fan controller for a GIGABYTE.

Reaction score
Does someone have something like this sitting at home then?

Please let me know this is really bugging me.

Thank you.

Reaction score
It is a very small three pin plug in case you were wondering. It connects into the top of my CPU fan.

Think it might be unique to gigabyte.

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
You might be able to control the fan speed with SpeedFan . Why can't you fix the thing by soldering it ????

:)

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
You might be able to control the fan speed with SpeedFan . Why can't you fix the thing by soldering it ????

:)

speed fan?

I got a zalman controller on my other pc but haven't tried it yet.

Yes soldering has entered my mind. My friends got an iron I got some solder.

It's three wires red white, white and blue white
I don't know how this controller works but somehow we could solder each wire on to the controller.
The worry is getting them the wrong way around and damaging the cpu fan, that's a big risk.

Any electricians at hand to explain the wire placements?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

If it snaped of surely you can seewhere the wires go ???

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

If it snaped of surely you can seewhere the wires go ???

happywave.gif

well I have to open up the controller it's got 4 metal bits I need to bend to open up. May require force/tools.

I know that I have snapped the PCB board when I turn the controller I see this silver circle inside it looks like it's broken. I wonder how it's going to affect this.

I've found a zalman fan mate don't know how I am meant to connect this up, it's got a big male three pin connector on it. Might have to open up case and investigate.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Snip the plugs of , bare the wires , twist together , cover with some black tape . Job done , fan quiet and under control .

:D

Ask a Question