have it all "nice and pretty" - meaning I have created a
$OEM$ folder and have a lot of the hotfixes and qchain.exe
located in that folder and use cmdlines.txt to minimize
the time that I have to spend at v4.windowsupdate.com
after the initial installation....

It is also clear to me that if I want to have WIN2000 SP4
clients then my RIS Server has to be at the SP4 level. I
create that image first and can then do any SP3 or SP2 (
why in the world would I want SP2??? ) images...

However, I have a question. I generally copy the contents
of the I386 folder from my WIN2000 Pro CD to a folder -
that I created called I386 - on my RIS Server. I then
create a folder called SP3 and copy the extracted SP3 I386
folder to that. I then slipstream ( using the -s: switch )
the SP3 files to my image. BTW - can I truly call this
an "image"?

Maybe I have misunderstood a few posts in here but IIRC
some people have been stating that this is an incorrect
method! It has worked flawlessly for me to this point -
but if I am doing something sytematically incorrect I
would like to correct that part of my procedure.

Thanks everyone,

Cary

BTW - I am going to look for the posts that lead me to
believe that I could be doing something incorrectly...

Scott McArthur [MSFT]

Cary,

The steps you listed are the proper method for adding a SP4 image to your
RIS server. Additional information on this is located at

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/sp4/spdeploy.htm
#scenario_2_using_ris_to_install_windows_2000_integrated_with_the_service_pa
ck_ubra

Scott McArthur[MS]
Microsoft Windows Server Setup Support
| From: "Erik Nettekoven" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Slipstreaming SP3 / SP4 for RIS....
| Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:53:31 +0200
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment
|
| And you are not having any problems deploying images with SP4 ?
|
| I have done it according the KB of microsoft:

http://search.microsoft.com/gomsuri.asp?n=1&c=rp_Results&siteid=us&target=ht
tp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b258868