Setting up xp and w2k network

Colonel Blip

Hello, All!

Topology: desktop1 on w2k; desktop2 dual boot, w2k and xp pro; both
connected to a router which in turn is connected to the internet.

Under w2k on both machines I have no problem setting up shared
drives/folders between the two and accessing the drives/folders from each of
the machines. However, booting to the XP system I can not access the shared
folders on the two machine, even though both of them are negotiating the
router and accessing the internet just fine.

How might I proceed to bring the XP booted machine into a networked
condition?

Thanks.

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

Robert L [MS-MVP]

can you ping each other by ip? if yes, can you ping by name? this step by step troubleshooting may help.http://www.howtonetworking.com/Troubleshooting/notaccessibale0.htm

Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services. Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
How to Setup Windows, Network, Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
I recommend Brinkster for web hosting!

Hello, All!

Topology: desktop1 on w2k; desktop2 dual boot, w2k and xp pro; both
connected to a router which in turn is connected to the internet.

Under w2k on both machines I have no problem setting up shared
drives/folders between the two and accessing the drives/folders from each of
the machines. However, booting to the XP system I can not access the shared
folders on the two machine, even though both of them are negotiating the
router and accessing the internet just fine.

How might I proceed to bring the XP booted machine into a networked
condition?

Thanks.

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

Colonel Blip

This gets even more confusing. Checked out the suggested link. As I mentioned, the w2k system allows me to network, so I thought I would check setting from my w2k primary desktop, PC1, trying to network to a shared drive on the other PC2. I checked using the troubleshooting info and found the following:

ping pc2 and "unknown host"
ping pc2 ip and get response

net view and both \\pc1 and \\pc2 returned

net view \\pc2's ip and get system error 53

Opened properties on the Network Places network connection and checked TCP/IP properties/advanced and dhcp enabled. In DNS tab checks for "Append primary...", "Append parent..." and "Register this connection..." enabled. WINS tag Enable LMHOSTS lookup and Enable netbios over tcp/ip both checked.
MADE NO CHANGES TO ANY OF THESE.

ping pc2 and NOW I get a response.

Recall this series is for the working w2k system setup!!

I'm going to go on and repeat this after I boot but this is so strange it must mean something. <g>

--
Colonel Blip
(e-mail address removed)

[...]

Left one item out. I can do a net view on PC2 and get an expected response. Doing the same on its IP gives system error 53 AFTER the ping on the ip and PC2 both worked as well as before the ping PC2 was responding.
--
[...]

Chuck

[...]

An Error 53 is Host or Name not found. Could be either name resolution problem
or browser problem.

Do you have a WINS server? Do you have LMHOSTS setup? If not, then you will do
better not enabling LMHOSTS lookup. You do need NetBIOS Over TCP/IP though.

Please provide ipconfig information for each computer.
Start - Run - "cmd". Type "ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt" into the command
window - Open c:\ipconfig.txt in Notepad, make sure that Format - Word Wrap is
NOT checked!, copy and paste entire contents into your next post. Identify
operating system (by name, version, and SP level) with each ipconfig listing.

Check for a browser conflict between the computers. I"m not talking about
Internet Explorer here. The browser is the program that allows any computer to
see any other computer on the LAN.

Make sure the browser service is running on only one of the computers. Control
Panel - Administrative Tools - Services. Verify that the Computer Browser, and
the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper, services both show with Status = Started. Stop then
Disable the browser service on the other.

After checking / disabling / enabling as above, power both computers off to
reset the browser settings on each. Then power both back on.

The Microsoft Browstat program will show us what browsers (I'm not talking about
Internet Explorer here) you have in your domain / workgroup, at any time.
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=188305

You can download Browstat from either:
<http://www.dynawell.com/reskit/microsoft/win2000/browstat.zip>
<http://rescomp.stanford.edu/staff/manual/rcc/tools/browstat.zip>

Browstat is very small (40K), and needs no install. Just unzip the downloaded
file, copy browstat.exe to any folder in the Path, and run it from a command
window, by "browstat status". Make sure all computers list the same master
browser.
For more information about the browser subsystem (very intricate), see:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=188001
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=188305
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=231312
<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winntas/deploy/prodspecs/ntbrowse.mspx>

--
Cheers,
Chuck

i am going through the same issue and i also have noticed this amoung lots of
other users espacilly after the SP2 upgrade. I hope MS will jump into this to
resolve it. this is soo sicking.
Javed

Colonel Blip

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I got my dual boot machine talking to my
wife's w2k machine. I wish I could say I know exactly how I did it, but I
did. I think I pinged it to death. <g>

Having such success caused me to want to add to my aggravation, so today her
new Dell arrived with XP Home on it. Back to the drawing board. After
several back and forths and convincing the Dell installed McAfee firewall
that my dual boot machine was ok, I can connect to it.

I have now discovered another problem. When I set up the sharing for a drive
on her w2k machine I could use, e.g. D$ and that would take care of the
share for all sub-folders on D drive. I can not do that as of now. It will
only allow access to view the root and none of the sub-folders can be
opened. Something is different - any advice?

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

CB> Hello, All!

CB> Topology: desktop1 on w2k; desktop2 dual boot, w2k and xp pro; both
CB> connected to a router which in turn is connected to the internet.

CB> Under w2k on both machines I have no problem setting up shared
CB> drives/folders between the two and accessing the drives/folders from
CB> each of the machines. However, booting to the XP system I can not
CB> access the shared folders on the two machine, even though both of them
CB> are negotiating the router and accessing the internet just fine.

CB> How might I proceed to bring the XP booted machine into a networked
CB> condition?

CB> Thanks.

CB> Colonel Blip.
CB> E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

Chuck

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I got my dual boot machine talking to my
wife's w2k machine. I wish I could say I know exactly how I did it, but I
did. I think I pinged it to death. <g>

Having such success caused me to want to add to my aggravation, so today her
new Dell arrived with XP Home on it. Back to the drawing board. After
several back and forths and convincing the Dell installed McAfee firewall
that my dual boot machine was ok, I can connect to it.

I have now discovered another problem. When I set up the sharing for a drive
on her w2k machine I could use, e.g. D$ and that would take care of the
share for all sub-folders on D drive. I can not do that as of now. It will
only allow access to view the root and none of the sub-folders can be
opened. Something is different - any advice?

Colonel,

With XP Home and Simple File Sharing, you can only have Guest network access.
The D$ share, aka D-Drive administrative share, is accessible only to
administrators.

--
Cheers,
Chuck
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck sonic net.

Rich

The D$ is called an administrative share. An administrative share is
created by default for every logical drive that exists. So if you have a C:
and D: drive, you should have C$ and D$ automatically. The permissions for
the share are set automatically (and I think that only administrators have
access).

To create a new shared folder, here are two methods:

Method-1
1. Use the Computer Management snap-in. Right click on My Computer, then
left click on Manage.
2. At a Run or Command prompt, type "compmgmt.msc".
Now that it's running, expand the Shared Folders icon. Select Shares and
you'll see all existing shared folders. To create a new shared folder,
right-click on shares and select New File Share to launch a wizard that
walks you through the process.

Method-2
Using either My Computer or Explorer, browse to the folder you want to
share. Right-click on the folder and select Sharing and Security. This
presents a dialog box where you can setup the shared folder. Select the
Share this folder radio button, which will then enable the relevant fields.
Complete the fields and you should be set.

Of course, you'll also have to apply security that meets your needs.

Hope this helps,
Rich

Colonel Blip

Hello, Chuck!
You wrote on 10 Feb 2005 19:58:04 -0600:

C> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 19:02:19 -0600, "Colonel Blip"

C> Colonel,

C> With XP Home and Simple File Sharing, you can only have Guest network
C> access. The D$ share, aka D-Drive administrative share, is accessible
C> only to administrators.

Is there a way to get 'non' - Simple File Sharing?

I am an administrator.

Thanks.

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

Malke

Colonel said:
Hello, Chuck!
You wrote on 10 Feb 2005 19:58:04 -0600:

C> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 19:02:19 -0600, "Colonel Blip"

C> Colonel,

C> With XP Home and Simple File Sharing, you can only have Guest
network C> access. The D$ share, aka D-Drive administrative share, is
accessible C> only to administrators.

Is there a way to get 'non' - Simple File Sharing?

I am an administrator.

Thanks.

Not with XP Home. You can disable it only in XP Pro.

Malke

Chuck

Hello, Chuck!
You wrote on 10 Feb 2005 19:58:04 -0600:

C> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 19:02:19 -0600, "Colonel Blip"

C> Colonel,

C> With XP Home and Simple File Sharing, you can only have Guest network
C> access. The D$ share, aka D-Drive administrative share, is accessible
C> only to administrators.

Is there a way to get 'non' - Simple File Sharing?

I am an administrator.

Thanks.

Colonel,

With XP Home, disabling Simple File Sharing is not an easy task.

This procedure is unsupported, but some here have reported success.

With XP Home, you can temporarily disable Simple File Sharing
by starting up in "Safe Mode with Networking".

A Description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315222

Please let us know if this works for you at all, we're still evaluating this
possible solution, and what you learn may help others in your situation.