setting up wireless internet

Can anyone help with the following from my niece; she cannot acccess the
Internet at the moment and is wondering what the heck to do. I suggested to
her that since I didn't know the answer I'd ask the Newsgroup to see if they
had any bright ideas. So, on her behalf, please, and if this is ethically
permitted, can anyone suggest any ideas: [I know for certain that the
'hardware' she's installed is the 'NETGEAR - DG834G' 54MBPS WIRELESS ADSL2+
MODEM ROUTER' and all was going well up until this evening].
Her words to me, exactly in her text, have been - "When you 'click' on
window / icon: " 'Wireless Network Connection',
It says NETGEAR,
Security-enabled wireless network (WPA);
to connect, click 'connect' button,
then asks you to enter your 'Network Key'___________________________.
But I have no record of a network-key anywhere and there seems to be no
means of getting set-up help (or anything) from 'Netgear' - I can't find a
tel# or email-helpline........
God bless,"
If anyone can point us in the right direction it would be much appreciated.
Many thanks in anticipation.

Malke

PAMALOON said:
[...]

I don't know why it wouldn't be "ethically permitted"; we're here for
everybody, you and your niece included. :)

The wireless adapter in your niece's computer is asking for the
encryption key that she assigned on the router. To see, change, set the
encryption she will need to access the router's configuration. This
need to be done from a computer wired directly to the router. Then open
a browser and type the router's IP address in the addressbar, ex.
http://192.168.0.1 [enter] and then enter the username and password
that was assigned when she set up the router. Refer to the router
manual for details. If she doesn't have the router manual any more, she
should go to the mftr.'s website where they will have one.

Here are links to help you:

Wireless - Basic Configuration -

Malke

A quickie for Malke please: Many many thanks for your reply so quickly.
I've already whizzed its contents... the salient parts... off to my niece so
it's now down to her for a wee while. Very grateful. I'll let you know here
what happens!
Pamaloon
--
PAMALOON

Malke said:
PAMALOON said:
[...]

Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

PAMALOON said:
A quickie for Malke please: Many many thanks for your reply so
quickly. I've already whizzed its contents... the salient parts... off
to my niece so
it's now down to her for a wee while. Very grateful. I'll let you
know here what happens!
Pamaloon

You're very welcome. Please do let me know what happens and certainly
post back with more questions if you have them. BTW, I like your name a
lot. :)

Cheers,

Malke