Setting Default Email Client

saturnin02

WIN XP HE
Hi,. I use a program that has a menu item as such: Tool|Read Mail
This is (obviously) designed to open up your default email client (in my
case Outlook 2002).
Unfortunately for me, for some unknown reason, when I try to use this
option, it wants me to install MSN Explorer--just as if I had chosen hotmail
as my default email or MSN Explorer.
In my IE 6 settings under Programs, Outlook is the default email client.
I have also notice some registry keys that could be causing this incorrect
behavior but I am not sure.
Is there a setting that I can modify to "release" this MSN Explorer thing?
Perhaps, the program I use is looking at some WIN XP setting and thinks that
MSN Explorer is connected to my default email client....
Suggestions?
Tx,

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP

saturnin02 said:
[...]

To set Outlook as the default mail client,- Go to Start, Run - Type in the
following with quotation marks and press OK
"C:\program files\microsoft office\office\outlook.exe" /checkclient
For more information on Outlook see:
http://www.slipstick.com/config/defaultmailer.htm

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Mark L. Ferguson

Look in start menu, all programs, at the top, there should be a 'set program
access and defaults'

Ramesh [MVP]

Select a different client from Internet Options, Programs tab. Click OK and close the dialog. Repeat the procedure, and reset your preferred email client (OL) again. If that does not help, download DefaultMail and click "Clear per-user settings.........." button:

Set the default email client on a per-user basis:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/defaultmail.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message Not what I need but thanks--it is already defined there.

PA said:
<snip>

saturnin02

OK, I will try. Tx.
Ramesh said:
Select a different client from Internet Options, Programs tab. Click OK
and close the dialog. Repeat the procedure, and reset your preferred
email client (OL) again. If that does not help, download DefaultMail and
click "Clear per-user settings.........." button:

Set the default email client on a per-user basis:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/defaultmail.htm

<snip>

Ramesh [MVP]

Good Luck, and keep us posted!