Outlook Stops Downloading emails

Reaction score
Can anyone help with this.

My Microsoft Outlook in Office Professional 2016, used as an email client with Coogle, keeps failing to download emails.

This is now happening almost weekly. & has happened 29 times in 2021.

I close Outlook & it will not reopen. Then have to ‘Repair Office in ‘Settings - Apps & Features’. To do so I have to close all office programs & re-open them after the repair. A big-time waster.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Terry,

Do you get an error with your e-mail syncing at all, for example is it giving you an authentication error... or is the problem only when Outlook closes but doesn't re-open?

I've had a problem on rare occasions where Outlook 2019 will not open, and it appears to be because it's already running in the background. I can close it via Task Manager and re-open it successfully, or reboot and it'll work again. It's only happened to me a couple of times in many years though.

Reaction score
Hi Ian

Yes, I get an error with my e-mail syncing in as much that the mails don’t download even when I click ‘Send Receive All folders or press F9’. I keep Google Mail live in my taskbar & can see that when there are several mails sat in Google, they don’t appear or download to Outlook. I don’t get any authentication error.

When Outlook won’t open, it is always after I have shut it down when it won’t download, then after ‘Repair Office in ‘Settings - Apps & Features’ it opens normally by clicking the taskbar icon & then all the mails sat in Google, download.

Yes, mine also, after a reboot & in my case after ‘Repair Office in ‘Settings - Apps & Features’ it opens normally.

Next time it happens, I will try shutting it down with the Task Manager unless you have any more thoughts.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
In the bottom right corner of Outlook there should be a status display, what does yours show? Here's mine for example:

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Hi Ian.

In the bottom right corner of Outlook there should be a status display, what does yours show? Here's mine for example:

No, I have no status display, perhaps because I connect through Google & not Microsoft Exchange.

Mail’s stopped downloading AGAIN yesterday.

This time I clicked the X at the top right corner. In the past, when I have done this I get a message saying that Outlook is sending & receiving all folders, or something like that. I have always ‘Cancelled All’ because it takes a long time, after which Outlook would not re-open.

This time, I let it run & re-opend Outlook it opened OK & immediately downloaded all mails.

I don’t know if this is the fix, but will do the same next time.

Thanks for your help, Terry

Reaction score
Just a follow-up, I decided that I could not go on with the constant problems with Outlook 2016.
As I was uncomfortable with the prospect of Office 365 (web based) I purchased Office Home & Business 2021.
This was 15/10/21 & since then I have had only 1 indecent of Outlook failing to down load instead of several times a week with Office 2016. Its not cheap at £250 but has cured my Outlook issue plus everthing in Office works better & faster.

Ask a Question