security software

Reaction score
Hi all first timer. I run Norton Security 20111 Performance Pack. This runs very slow. Being a 77 yr old computer moron, advice please on what to use in it's place, freebie one is not high on my list, quite happy to pay for good software.:confused::confused:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If AV software charges you money for their product it does not gurantee that product will be a good one. Your experience with Nortons illustrates that. Nortons, in my humble opinion, is tosh.

All three listed above will do a better job than Nortons, won't cost you a penny and run a helluva lot faster.

If you absolutely insist on throwing your money away, er, sorry, paying for a product, then last time I checked Kaspersky & Nod 22 led the field. And as well as Nortons, avoid McCaffee.

And welcome to the forum :)

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
I have Norton Corporate Security running in my office and it does not stop everything. I couple that with Microsoft Security Essentials (free) and I have a fairly high success rate with catching infections. One will catch what the other won't. Sometimes both are triggered.

I have issues from time to time with slow performance. This is due to the Norton software scanning the system. If you keep the machine off for periods of time (such as a day or two), this can cause the system to feel the need to scan, resulting in a slower performance for a period of time until the AV catches up. MSSE functions pretty much the same way. When both are running their general scans, you may as well get some coffee. My workstation stays on 24/7/365, with a few off times. It is after these off times that I notice some issues with performance due to AV software.

Not every software stops everything. Just my ten cents.

Reaction score
Just one other thing. Should I download one of your suggestions, do I download the new programme prior to unloading Norton. ! or unload Norton first. shallotman

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Just one other thing. Should I download one of your suggestions, do I download the new programme prior to unloading Norton. ! or unload Norton first. shallotman

Its upto you which of the 3 you download, my preference is Avast. Yes download your choice first, then uninstall Norton, then install your choice.

Ask a Question