Kids Safety Software

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm looking for recommendations on how to secure a Windows 10 PC for a 7 year old, so "naughty" sites are blocked etc. She's not very familiar with computers yet, nor will be left alone with one unless she's using some app/game. However, it would be nice to have a baseline level of protection for once she starts using the internet etc.

I've downloaded Kaspersky Safe Kids, which has a free trial and then reverts to a "free" mode which seems to cover all of the things we need for now. The paid version includes things like activity timers, social media controls etc... but those are years away from being needed.

This software sounds like it'll do the job, but I'd be interested to hear from anyone else with kids and what they did to keep the PC safe for them?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Hi Ian,
I use Microsoft Family Safety for my 8 and 11 year olds. Gives you vision of sites they are looking at and asks for permissions on my phone.

Its decent baseline protection

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
So good to see you online @Adywebb :D. Hope all is well!

I had considered Microsoft Family Safety, but it asked about creating a child MS account with their own e-mail address - so I just skipped over it. Maybe I should give it a second look, as I imagine it'll integrate really well. I'll create a new account using this tonight to give it a whirl :). Thanks for the advice!

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I’m not bad thank you Ian
I setup up my girls with outlook email addresses but they have no access to them and only I know the password. I get a weekly activity report sent to my email so I can see what they’ve been up to, how much time they’ve been on it and what sites etc.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Hey Ady! Nice to see ya again. :thumb:

I know Open DNS allow you to set certain filters, so you can block on a DNS level.

Can't say I've had to try and block my 3 year olds activity yet. But I'm sure it won't be long. :lol:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I’m not bad thank you Ian
I setup up my girls with outlook email addresses but they have no access to them and only I know the password. I get a weekly activity report sent to my email so I can see what they’ve been up to, how much time they’ve been on it and what sites etc.
That sounds pretty much ideal tbh. I'll get them an e-mail registered and then hand over the password in a few years once she's old enough :).

Reaction score
Your isp should have a safe browsing option already baked in. Most of them have it now, worth checking so that way all your devices will be protected.

Ask a Question