SATA Help

Leo

Reaction score
Ok well I am building my own computer for m frist tiem and I ahve everything down but the HD.. I want to get a SATA HD for it and when I looekd at the motherboards there seems to be like 5 diffrent interfaces for Sata and I don't know which motherboard or HD to get for it, or what is the best prices for them. The motherboard i want to get is here and the HD is here I have no idea if they will work together or if they are a good price. So if someone could help me that would be great, thanks.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Leo: Shouldn't be any problems there.

It looks as though you have two standard SATA ports, you'd connect your drive to one of those, and 4 RAID SATA ports.

They should work well together. It's likely you can use single SATA drives on the RAID ports as well, so, what with the two IDE ports, plenty of room for expansion.

And welcome to PC Review btw :)

Leo

Reaction score
Thanks for the help and the welcome. It's jsut in my comp class im takign we didnt really cover this so I don't really know what ports work with SATA or whatever.. Oh and also so with that HD I can use it on any of the SATA interfaces then..? thats what I dont get whats the diffrence in the ports. they have Serial ATA 150, Serial ATA, SATA, whats diffrent about them? Thanks again :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Leo said:
they have Serial ATA 150, Serial ATA, SATA, whats diffrent about them?
In the ones you've mentioned there - nothing. They're all the same, it's just different ways of expressing a SATA port.

The main difference is that some SATA ports are connected to an onboard RAID controller chip, so you can use two or more SATA drives to set up a RAID array.

The board you've linked to has two standard SATA ports and 4 connected to a RAID controller.

Leo

Reaction score
Alright thanks man.. Anyway thoguht does they seem good? I mean this is my first computer I am making so I have mo idea if it will run good.. I'm getting an AMD Athlon 64 2800+, that motehrboard and HD, this case i like it lol, and this memory, I might get two of the memory beecause I have one in my comp now but I might want to keep this comp running still and i want my new one to have 1 GB memory.. =/ I'm kinda on a low budget so I cant get to much.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Case looks good, although it only has a generic 350W PSU, it may be OK but you're taking a bit of a chance on it. But for that price, it's worth a shot.

I'm not familiar with that memory. If your budget stretches to it, try and go for a good brand of memory, such as Corsair; Crucial; Kingston; Mushkin or OCZ.

Leo

Reaction score
Yeah I'm buying another power supply from COMP USA down the street.. And thanks with the memory I think I can get a better more known brand it was just the cheapest one there ^.^ lol.. and I decided to go with this memory. So with all that you think that will be an OK computer? It will be used for a gamming computer but not like a lot of games and not that many high graphic games so would that be good for that? lol sorry I'm just new to some of this =/

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hey Leo, no worries.

The Corsair Value Select is really very good. I have a gig of that (2 x 512) in my video editing machine, it's good stuff.

The system you've outlined should be fine for any game, depending on the video card you're going to use. Have you chosen a graphics card yet?

Leo

Reaction score
Yeah I have a ATI All In Wounder 9600 on this comp so I might take it off and put it on the new one.. or i have about 200 dollars and I could buy a new one and keep this on here form my sis.. I don't know yet.. What would be a good graphic card for it? I dont really want an all in wounder again I didnt really use it that much as I thoghut i would..

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well, sorry to sound like I stuck in a groove here, but the best video card value for money right now has to be the ATI 9800 Pro. Not sure what it costs in dollars but it's about £140.00 in UK.

AIW cards are good, but if all you want extra is a VIVO function and TV tuner, it's actually cheaper to add a PCI tuner card by Hauppage or similar.

Leo

Reaction score
Yeah, thats what I thought.. It is about 240 here so I will need a little more to buy it.. The main reason I want to buy a new one is I think I broke my old one =/.. Is there something I can do to tell if it is broken or anything?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Leo said:
Yeah, thats what I thought.. It is about 240 here so I will need a little more to buy it.. The main reason I want to buy a new one is I think I broke my old one =/.. Is there something I can do to tell if it is broken or anything?
omigawd

What do you mean - broke it?

When you say your old one, do you mean the 9600 AIW?

Does it work still?

Why do you think you've broke it?

Usually, if a vid card is knackered, it just don't work.

Or it will constantly keep giving weird displays.

Need more details to comment, really.

Leo

Reaction score
=/ sorry forget about the broken part I just remembered that I use the video that is on it for my monitor so if it was broken the monitor wouldnt show anything right? anyway yeah I guess I will just take this graphic card off it untill I can buy the 9800 pro.. Would that be the best one for me? or is there one that would be better for gaming?

-offtopic but you should get AIM or soemthing lol-

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
OK, I'm guessing you're talking about the 9600 AIW is the card that's 'broke'.

But it still works on display, right?

Wazzup? The TV display don't work or something? Maybe you got a weak TV signal or you have a software problem, I dunno, just guessing cos I ain't got enough details to form an informed analysis.

And yes, the 9800 Pro, for the money, best card around atm.

If your budget doesn't stretch to that and the games you're going to play aren't that graphic heavy, consider the 9600XT. An excellent card. It ain't gonna run Far Cry at even medium res but will handle most games superbly.

I think the 9600XT may just fit your budget.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
PS: I'm not on AIM, but I am on ICQ, but I can't remember the last time I even opened ICQ up, must be at least a month ago.

There's probably a big queue of peeps waiting for a reply :D

Or none cos they all given up on me.

Leo

Reaction score
I'll look into the 9600TX.. Oh and with the graphic card it was just that games and stuff lagged right after I had put the card in but then my freind said that it could be the CPU so I might try a new heatsink and fan for it because it was only when it seemed to be using a lot of the CPU..

Ask a Question