transferring data from IDE to SATA drive

Reaction score
have a Dell Dimension 2300 that has an IDE. I want to transfer the data to a Dell Dimension 4700 which has a SATA The problem is when I boot my PC with the IDE, I can hear the drive spin then makes a squealing sound and shuts itself down. Pretty sure the HD is shot. Does the PC with the IDE drive have to be booted up to do the transfer or just the PC with the SATA drive? Also I have no idea who to go about doing this transfer. Thanks!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If, as you suspect, the IDE (PATA) hard drive is shot, you're unlikely to be able to retrieve data from it.

If the data you require is on a hard drive other than the one used to boot then the data will be retrievable but you'll probably have to take the disk out the machine.

If the 'IDE' machine only has the one hard disk, depending on how technical you are you may be able to retrieve data from it. Do you feel confident about either removing the IDE disk or burning a LInux live distro disk to boot the IDE machine?

Reaction score
If, as you suspect, the IDE (PATA) hard drive is shot, you're unlikely to be able to retrieve data from it.

If the data you require is on a hard drive other than the one used to boot then the data will be retrievable but you'll probably have to take the disk out the machine.

If the 'IDE' machine only has the one hard disk, depending on how technical you are you may be able to retrieve data from it. Do you feel confident about either removing the IDE disk or burning a LInux live distro disk to boot the IDE machine?

I thought that would be the case (removing the disk) Yes I can remove the IDE disk, a friend of mine mentioned something about linux live. Do you know where I can find that to burn it to a disk? And it will boot the IDE? Thanks!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
is easy to add the IDE drive to your SATA system as I doubt very much that the motherboard will be dunb enough not to have an IDE connector :)

here is a damn good video on how to add a second HD ...
... you actually do not need to physically "install" the HD, but have what is technically termed "hanging the hard drive" out of the case

Use the same cable that is in the original system and use the video as a guide ... if in doubt, give us a shout.

If the HD is detected & all goes well, you will be able to access the drive, however, you will also need to take ownership of any files/folders you need to retrieve :)

Linux may also work :wave:

Ask a Question