Faulty internal hard drive

Reaction score
Hi

I have an additional internal 1 GB hard drive in my desktop, this is used just to store files.

I believe the operating system etc is on an SSD and the 1 gb hard drive is just a standard sata drive.

Yesterday my hard drive had a fault and was not showing any more in explorer, I disconnected it and re connected it and upon booting up the system fixed something and it was fine. At this point I made sure I had a back up of all files. Today the drive has disappeared again so I suspect it is faulty.

Yesterday it was making a clicking noise although today it is just not showing but making no clicking noise.

Can I just buy a new one and put it in its place and everything will be fine with the new drive, or will I have to do anything else.

What are peoples opinions on good quality and reliable drives that i could replace it with?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Yesterday it was making a clicking noise ...
... commonly called, the "click of death", replace ASAP

The new drive will/should not have any problems. All brand-named, and many other, drives fail. Replace with one that has 2-3-5 year warrantee. :)

Reaction score
... commonly called, the "click of death", replace ASAP

The new drive will/should not have any problems. All brand-named, and many other, drives fail. Replace with one that has 2-3-5 year warrantee. :)

I have noticed that in reviews customers mention smr and pmr drives and that pmr is best. When searching Amazon I can’t find any reference to either type?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You don't need to 'worry' over either of them, actually, you missed one, CMR.

Just get any general branded HD with at least 3years warrantee ... better still, get another SSD. ;)

Reaction score
If you can afford it, maybe go for a SSD rather than a spinning drive. Avoid that click in the future and it’ll be faster. :)

Reaction score
I still use a disc rather than SSD for regularly backed up data. Two reasons relative size and cost plus the fact that when SSDs fail there is no clicking warning ! I guess I'm sticking my neck out but Western Digital disks have always been my choice. Just read some reviews before deciding on a brand.

Reaction score
I still use a disc rather than SSD for regularly backed up data. Two reasons relative size and cost plus the fact that when SSDs fail there is no clicking warning ! I guess I'm sticking my neck out but Western Digital disks have always been my choice. Just read some reviews before deciding on a brand.
I hate WD as I’ve had so many fail. I always go with Samsung for SSD and Seagate for spinning. Each to their own though.

Ask a Question