Boot from SATA drive

Reaction score
Can anyone help, i have an Gigabyte VM-900M motherboard, with one 80gig ide drive with XP Profesional on and a new SATA drive on which i installed Vista, i want my PC to boot to The SATA drive and not The IDE drive, as it does even with Vista installed. don't want to Format the IDE drive as i need to transfer the data on it to the new SATA drive. PLEASE HELP URGENTLY!!!!

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Go into the BIOS and change the boot order so your SATA drive is first.

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Go into the BIOS and change the boot order so your SATA drive is first.
I tried that, the only boot order options i have is : floppy; ls120; hard disk; cdrom; zip; usb and lan...

Reaction score
Jakes said:
I tried that, the only boot order options i have is : floppy; ls120; hard disk; cdrom; zip; usb and lan...

Try this disconnect the IDE [XP] drive [No power] boot the pc, once into Vista it should recognise the SATA drive then it will be in the BIOS. Now shut down reconnect the IDE drive boot-up and hit F8 before it enters set-up now choose the boot option SATA. Once in the vista click windows update if it requires updating it will show what’s available install the updates and that should do it.
Q. have you SP1 for Vista installed?

Reaction score
Im noty sure about all however the many Gigabyte boards I have had give you a boot menu option on the BIOS post screen

F12 from there it allows you to choose a boot device

Reaction score
All's well

Hey peeps, got home last night, plugged in my IDE drive,:thumb: rebooted and voila, vista booted from the SATA drive so, all's well.:) transfered all my data from the IDE to SATA drive and wiped the IDE drive. I'm BACK online...... Thanx for the help!
bowdown.gif

Regards.

Guyver (Jakes)
laughingsmiley.gif

Ask a Question