SATA and IDE, good idea or not?

Reaction score
Hi, I'm thinking about running my new system with a new SATA HDD and also running my (very) old IDE drive alongside it later on. I was going to do this because I still have all my music/video files on the IDE drive (could not be bothered backing it up), is it worth the hassle/risk to do this and will it work or should I just set up the IDE drive seperately to back up all my files?

I have heard that people have had trouble running IDE and SATA on the same system (the system insisting upon booting from the IDE, data corruption etc) so I am a bit cautious about it. I want to run the OS on the SATA drive and just have the IDE as a visable back up drive and be able to transfer all my old data (on an Asus A8N SLI Premium mobo), anyone have a 100% fool proof way of setting this up?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Computers are really thick ... they have to be told what to do ... enter the BIOS and use "boot to SATA" ... ;)

:thumb:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
if its set up correct in the BIOS then you should have no problems

Reaction score
Thanks for your help, I got it working but then Windows started doing some crazy stuff. Couple of boot failures after installing programs on the SATA drive, seems like there is still a conflict even though I have put the SATA as the first drive on the priority list, looks like it is trying to boot from the IDE drive's XP installation and causing havoc!

I have decided to part with the IDE drive, will disconnect it, install XP again and maybe give it one more shot. Otherwise I will have to set it up on my old system and back all my data up that way.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
First off, you need to do a fresh install of XP to the SATA drive with the old IDE drive disconnected. Did you do that?

Once you've installed all basics, like all MS updates and AV/Spyware stuff, power down and connect old IDE drive.

Then, assuming all is good, copy all the data you want to save over to your new drive temporarily.

Then format old IDE drive (right click drive icon - format drive).

Then transfer all your saved data back from SATA drive to nice clean IDE storage disk.

Ask a Question