Robolinux Mate Raptor 8.1

Reaction score
Hi Scot, good advice from Abarbarian about backups, I have got admit I looked a Robolinux before I settled on Linux Mint Cinnamon which I have now been running for 3 years and so far touch wood has not let me down. Anyway welcome to PC Review enjoy your stay and join in.

Heya Bootneck,
Yes I agree with Abarbarian. The back up deal is the way to go. Glad I had done what I had.
I also have been looking at Peppermint Linux as the camera system support seems to meet my needs.
I will keep y'all posted.
Thanks for having me aboard.
Thanks for your support!
Namaste'
Scot

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
To answer your questions, yes I had done some updating.
In fact, (now that I think of it) I briefly recall seeing something during the updates
that spoke of obtaining from a non authorized or unauthenticated source.
I went right by that. As for back ups, I had a bunch of stuff on the system that
I had burned a copy of and deleted. As for my grand niece's photo, I had that
in a system folder and on the desktop. Thus far, there are things I like about Robolinux.
But, there are things that mystify me. I am not sure what I will do just yet.
I can still use the machine but, I am beginning to wonder IF I got some sort of virus.
(Linux is supposedly pretty virus proof.) I will go ahead and get the rest of what
I want saved and maybe reinstall the O/S. Right now I am looking at other Linux O/S.
I do not know if any Linux flavor has a rollback option or not. One thing I REALLY want is a
version that is really good about using webcams and saving the footage.
(We have had some odd things go missing and reappear.) Like what you ask?
2 pairs of boxer briefs, (Yes boxer briefs) and extension cord. (That came back a day after I spoke with someone about the missing items.) I found it odd we chatted and the next day we were out and low and behold there was the extension cord right where I left it.
(And yes, I had checked in that spot prior to chatting with that certain soul.
The cord was MIA.)
Hmmmmm...
Any how, thank you for giving me a shout.
Namaste'
Scot

It is very unlikely that you have been a victim of a virus as actual successful virus attacks in the real world are virtually non existent for linux systems.

I am running MX-16 and it includes , luckyBackup which uses rsync to backup and sync data, and MXSnapshot which can make a snapshot of the running system.
So yes some distros include backup and roll back programs.

http://www.tecmint.com/linux-system-backup-tools/

http://www.opbyte.it/grsync/

I have no idea what sort of webcam stuff you are doing but Cheese might be able to do what you need.

http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20080713163707469/Cheese.html

If you hunt around at the RoboLinux site they may have some information on any gremlins in the latest updates. It is always worth looking on a distros home/forum pages for information first as it can save a load of time.

One thing to remember about linux is that you can install almost any linux program on any linux distro. You may have to jump a few hoops if it is an obscure program. However almost all the popular programs are usually available for all the popular distros.

:cool:

As to the missing boxers. The world is a strange place full of strange folk. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Abarbarian,
Thank you for your reply. I was debating on whether to change from robolinux to something else
when I hit a rather odd snag. It seems that none of the CDs/DVDs would NOT be recognized. While I
not yet a Linux expert, (Give me 10 to 20 years.) I am not a complete newb. I then tried to use both Gparted and DBAN to clear it out. My results, zip, zilch, nada. I had a strange hunch that I should take
a back step to XP. Lo and behold it worked. How ever, this is coming to you through a live version of a
Puppy Linux out there. So now, I have a few riddles. 1-What the heck was the deal with robolinux
not wanting to let go of my machine? 2-Would any of the CDs/DVDs I burned after the system went sideways be safe to use? (I.E. virus free.) 3-Will Margaret ever find true happiness? (Sorry, scratch that
last comment. I was having childhood flashbacks where my Momma always hard soap operas on.)
Any how, my other question is not related to robolinux but is related to Linux, I have had Legacy OS in
the process of reformatting my 500 GB hard drive since about 8 hours ago and it is "Still formatting".
I kinda feel like I should restart the whole process. Any thoughts? Oh the camera concern. I just want
something that will take decent videos in case the boxer bandit opts to return. I guess that is everything.
I think I am going back to sleep. Up til about 6 am, woke up at 10:25to check my Legacy system install and
honestly, just a bit sad about that. Oh well, that's life. In closing yes, I agree, the world is a stange
place full of strange people. Namaste' Scot

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
It is very unlikely that you have been a victim of a virus as actual successful virus attacks in the real world are virtually non existent for linux systems.

You should be able to format a hdd from a live os usually with gparted. That is the program I use for formating and partitioning.
As to the mystery's, all I can say is, makes life interesting.

Reaction score
You should be able to format a hdd from a live os usually with gparted. That is the program I use for formating and partitioning.
As to the mystery's, all I can say is, makes life interesting.

Abarbarian,
As it turns out, I was not able to get any of the O/S to catch.
So I would up using an old Windows CD on a hunch and lo
and behold, it worked. I am still running Linux, just a a live option.
I am unsure of how many versions I tried to get the system to bite
but, it seems that once I used the old CD, something got straightened out.
I was really bummed when I tried to install Peppermint and it gave me a error message.
On the note of Gparted, I think I need to watch some YouTube tutorials as I was NOT
getting it to do what I set out to do which was partition the HD and install the system.
After all, it is a learning experience.
Thank you for your help.
Namaste'
Scot

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I will try this Robolinux Mate Raptor 8.1 sometime this month of May.

Robolinux is now at 8.7 so it may be worth while downloading the latest .iso if you have the time and bandwidth. As you had some problems before it would be worthwhile doing a MD5 or SHA1 check on your download.
Looks like they have made the project totally FREE for the os which is neat. You have to pay for the Windows VM stuff which I have no problem with as they put a load of work into the project. Mint users might find the VM offering of interest as they have a version specially adapted for that os.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. :D

https://sourceforge.net/projects/robolinux/files/

Announcing "The Upgraded Robolinux 8.7.1 Raptors that run Windows Virus Free!" Robolinux is pleased to announce its new upgraded Robolinux 8.7.1 Cinnamon, Mate 3D, Xfce 3D & LXDE 32 & 64 bit Raptor versions. All 16 Robolinux 7 & 8 Live versions come with a FREE OS Installer and can be downloaded for free on SourceForge.
All Robolinux Raptor 8.7.1 versions including our newly released Mate 3D and Xfce 3D are based on 100% rock solid current Debian 8 stable source code running the newest Debian 3.16 Linux kernel plus over 350 important upstream security and Application updates, the newest Tor Browser, Firefox 50.0 and Thunderbird 45.6.0

Since Robolinux invented "Revolutionary Stealth VM" inside our Debian Operating System we decided to create specific versions that work on all Linux Operating Systems so now anyone can run Windows XP or 7 inside Linux Mint, all Ubuntu versions & derivaives and all RPM based operating systems virus Free! In a few clicks the Windows XP, 7 or 10 virtual machine is instantly built & fully configured and ready to go. Then you simply load your Windows disk and programs. Robolinux has incredibly easy how to screens & videos to make sure anyone can do it. Now you can run Windows XP & 7 Virus Free inside all Linux Operating Systems with The Robolinux Stealth VM Sofware.

This is a decent review of Robolinux from 2015.

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/82600.html?rss=1

Raptor is a long-term support release that will keep you flying fine until 2020. It is loaded with 12 privacy and security apps.

Robolinux Mate Raptor 8.1, released this summer, requires less memory (210 MB less) than Robolinux's Cinnamon edition. Another innovation is the custom scripts you can add to the Caja file manager to speed up productivity.

What sets this Linux distro apart from all the others is its built-in ability to run Windows XP, 7 and 10 in preinstalled virtual machines. This allows the user to install and run the Windows operating system seamlessly alongside Robolinux. This is an optional add-on that must be purchased from the project's online store.

Buying add-on services may not be valuable to individual users, but for small shops and growing small businesses, this feature can save money on IT consultants.

Robolinux remains free, but the add-on features are a monetizing mechanism to fund the open source project.

Ask a Question