Robolinux Mate Raptor 8.1

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Robolinux Mate Raptor is a long-term support release that will keep you flying fine until 2020. It is loaded with 12 privacy and security apps.

Robolinux Mate Raptor 8.1, released this summer, requires less memory (210 MB less) than Robolinux's Cinnamon edition. Another innovation is the custom scripts you can add to the Caja file manager to speed up productivity.

What sets this Linux distro apart from all the others is its built-in ability to run Windows XP, 7 and 10 in preinstalled virtual machines. This allows the user to install and run the Windows operating system seamlessly alongside Robolinux. This is an optional add-on that must be purchased from the project's online store.

Buying add-on services may not be valuable to individual users, but for small shops and growing small businesses, this feature can save money on IT consultants.

Robolinux remains free, but the add-on features are a monetizing mechanism to fund the open source project.

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Mate-Makes-Robolinux-Raptor-Soar-82600.html

The home site,

http://www.robolinux.org/

Robolinux is the only Linux OS that provides "One click Windows VM Installers" and "Stealth VM Software Tools". So now you don't need to worry about viruses or malware attacking Windows or your data because Robolinux allows you to run a clean new version of Windows and restore your shared Windows data folder from a synced but protected VM Data partition anytime you want to in just two clicks!

A Windows virus cannot access a virtual machine backup file inside a Linux partition. Nor can a Windows virus access the Robolinux VM Data Sync directory that is not shared with the Windows VM.

When you install the Robolinux Windows VM Installers your data which is shared with the Linux Host is not stored inside the Windows virtual machine, so if you do get a Windows virus or malware from a USB stick or somewhere else, you can immediately restore your backed up Windows VM which is an untouched version of Windows, complete with all of its updates and installed software and thus annihilate the virus or malware in just one to five minutes.

Important Advice: In order to avoid keylogger infections which are hard to detect while you are running Windows, always use the Robolinux versions of Google Chrome or Firefox to do your online banking or web surfing. You can run them simultaneously on top of Windows seemlessly.

A Windows keylogger, virus or malware cannot attack a native Linux application.

The "Robolinux Stealth VM Software" make it impossible for a virus or malware to infect your shared Windows data files because Robolinux syncs your shared VM Data automatically in a protected VM Data clone partition that no Windows virus can access ever!

Windows Viruses and Malware do NOT attack Linux file systems.

Robolinux could be the answer for anyone looking to get away from a Windows environment. Based upon Debian Long Term Support source code once installed you will have a stable and easy to update operating system. Include the optional virtual machine component that allows you to run any or as many Windows operating systems as your memory can support and you have a easy way to leave all those bothersome Windows worries behind.

There is a step by step install guide for each of the variants. Personally I would go for the Mate version as it looks great and is pretty nippy. The install documents have a printable set of instructions which should enable anyone to install the operating system with ease.

So if you are fed up with forced updates and blue screens yet need to keep some expensive propriety software running then Robolinux may just be what you are looking for.

:cool:

Reaction score
Thanks Abarbarian for the heads up on Robolinux I have had a quick look at the video's and seems the thing for me. I will have a little digging around to insure that I will be able to use it as the last time I tried a distro it became a bit of a disaster. I will report back but as a first glance seems great especilly as you can run W10 in a virtual box.:thumb::thumb::user::user:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Bootneck02 I downloaded the Robolinux Mate Raptor 8.1 and will try to find time to do a install this week. I'll let you know how it goes. :cool:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Might give that a go meself, I just wiped a coupla HDD's of Zorin and Win 10 so have two spare to mess about with.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Might give that a go meself, I just wiped a coupla HDD's of Zorin and Win 10 so have two spare to mess about with.

This is where I downloaded mine from. An I boobed, it is 8.2 not 8.1.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/robolinux/

This is an interesting read about some of the programs you get,

http://robolinux.org/downloads/v8.2-details.html

You can install all the programs on any linux os but it is nice to have them already installed. The Tor ones do not interest me and the Stealth Vault has weak encryption but good enough for dissuading most ordinary folk. Some of the other ones I am reading up on as they are unfamiliar to me.

Also I am not sure but the live version you can download for free can not be installed. You have to anty up the two bucks to play fo real. Not a problem for me as I can afford that to support the developers.:cool:

Reaction score
Thanks for your input both of you I am seriously thinking of downloading it on a spare drive. I also like that you can run Windows 10 In a vertial box I think they call it.:thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Take some time and have a read here first,

http://www.robolinux.org/m-install/

Any Q's ask first before trying to install as we do not want you stressed out at the moment.

The " Robolinux Stealth VM Software " is an addition that makes setting up and using any version of Windows in a Virtual Machine an easy task, ot os a to pay for addition.
You can do that yourself for free but it dies have a bit of setting up to do so I recon the 10 dollars is a worthy purchase.

I am still not sure if the download burnt to a dvd/usb is a live version or a live version you can install from. I think you have to make a 2 dollar donation to unlock the installer feature. I'll have a play and report back.

Take some time and have a real good read at the main site as it os always better to have a couple of looks before you leap.

228823.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Have burnt the DVD, 64 Bit Mate version. Doing some stuff atm on that machine but have readied a 750Gb HDD for the install.

I may get round to trying it this evening, we shall see.

Reaction score
Thanks Abarbarian I think I would go for the paid version so I could run W10 as a virtual machine as you say $10 is not much to pay. And even If I am not keen on it once I have downloaded I will still have W10 as a vert

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I think I need a new BD-R drive, this first generation one (LG brand) is playing up something rotten, taking forever to transfer data from burnt BD-R disks :mad:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Right you guys I downloaded from this

http://sourceforge.net/projects/robolinux/
burnt a dvd and it failed to boot.

Went here

http://www.robolinux.org/downloads/

clicked on the Mate version link which took me here

http://www.robolinux.org/ROSSF-membership/mate/

Where I clicked the green arrow below the membership options. his took me to PayPal. Paid the £1.59 and was redirected to here

http://robolinux.org/ROSSF-membership/mate/17948773179dl/

where I am downloading. This might be of interest from the same page,

Download & Install Instructions (PLEASE READ!)

Please note: If you have any download issue please send an email to Tech Support (No charge). We do not provide telephone support for ROSSF Membership downloads. Thank you.

Step #1:
Download the full Robolinux Operating System iso below by selecting a server that is closest to you.

Step #2:
Simply burn the iso and boot into it. DO NOT RUN THE FREE LIVE DISK FROM Sourceforge!

Step #3:
Click on the Install option which is below the first option "Run Robolinux Live"

Then Robolinux can be installed on to your hard disk.

ATTENTION! The free Live download iso from Sourcforge cannot be used to install any Robolinux operating systems. It is a Live Trial only.

I hope that I have not wasted me £1.59 as the live version I tried did not boot. We will see. :cool:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Hope I ain't got you guys excited for nothing :blush: it will take three houres here to download so I may be able to give more news tomorrow.:cool:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I didn't pay anything for the ISO download.

Have yet to try the DVD though.

I do have to say it goes right against the grain paying for ANYTHING Linux, this is not the spirit it was founded on, no matter how damn good the Distro is.

Asking for voluntary contributions - acceptable and I'll give.

Insisting on payment - go ++++ yourself.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I did a trial of the £1.59 donate to version of Robolinux Raptor Mate v8.2.

You get two choices when you run the dvd. Live or Install.

The Live version worked, that is everything worked otb.

The Install worked , that is everything worked otb. No farting around no fiddling no terminal stuff. It was a simple clear and easy install. The instructions on each section were clear and at most you had to click twice and the click on the continue button to proceed.
What worked,
Internet connection
Sound
FF even had a spell checker configured
You Tube
Time zone and clock
Mouse buttons
Keyboard
Wallpaper changer
Screensaver
Bluetooth
etc etc in fact I have not found anything that does not work so far.
I even had a notification that there were two updates waiting to be installed. These updated with one click.

That is as far as I have gone. Did not try wireless and did not try my printer. Doubt if I will try the wireless but will report back about the printer.

Personally this was the slickest and easiest linux install I have ever done. Well done the developers and I think that my £1.59 was well spent.
If the VM stuff works as well then I recon that will be well worth the few bob they are asking for their easy peasy installer.

:cool:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
g1A3GO2.png

As you can see a full install with Libre Office, GIMP,VLC etc etc only takes up5.2 GB.:dance:How much space does a similar Windows set up take :eek:

Printer set up was a real pain I had to make at least seven or eight clicks. Click bottom left >System>Administration>Print Settings and then a few clicks to set the printer up. The printer drivers were found and installed and I printed a test document from Libre Writer. It took a whole minute or so and me forefinger on me right hand was fair worn out I can tell you :rolleyes:

Would I recommend this os to anyone unfamiliar with linux who wanted to change from a Windows environment. Yes absolutely without a moments hesitation.:thumb:
Mind you it is not as good as my Arch set up :p

Reaction score
I have just had a quick read of your las post Abarberian and the distro looks good and reasonable, but I am extremely tired and off to bed so will have a look again tomorow, but it would seem OK for a pleb like me to play around with.
Good night all

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I have just had a quick read of your las post Abarberian and the distro looks good and reasonable, but I am extremely tired and off to bed so will have a look again tomorow, but it would seem OK for a pleb like me to play around with.
Good night all

Your too hard on yourself. You have already made several penguin variants work sort of. Nearly every one needs a few runs at installing before they get a winner. Hundereds give up at the first hurdle. :cool:

Give yourself time to get recover. Take some chill pills man. :nod:

Ask a Question