Robolinux Mate Raptor 8.1

Reaction score
Your too hard on yourself. You have already made several penguin variants work sort of. Nearly every one needs a few runs at installing before they get a winner. Hundereds give up at the first hurdle. :cool:

Give yourself time to get recover. Take some chill pills man. :nod:

Thanks Abarbarian and to all the help and imput that you and Mr Flops have given me over the last few days:bow::bow::bow:. I will have a go at Robolinux and downloading it in the next few days when I am feeling better.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Reaction score
Your too hard on yourself. You have already made several penguin variants work sort of. Nearly every one needs a few runs at installing before they get a winner. Hundereds give up at the first hurdle. :cool:

Give yourself time to get recover. Take some chill pills man. :nod:

Thank you for your encoragement and the time you have taken out of your day to investigate Robolinux I will have a go at downloading and installing it in the next few days:cheers::bow::thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... don't forget,you will have to 'pay' the 'membership' fee to install it proper.

I can install every other Linux distro for FREE ... just saying. :)

Reaction score
Hi Mr Mucks I have made a donation to the ROSSF as I think it is a worthy cause financing programmers to provide decent software also a lot less than the expencive software that you have to buy for Windows.

Reaction score
Well I have downloaded and burnt the DVD and am going to install tomorow once I had read the instructions and understand them, and report back when I have accomplished all the tasks. One Question how does one install WCG on a linux system?

muckshifter

Reaction score
One Question how does one install WCG on a linux system?

How do I install the Linux application on Ubuntu or other Debian-based distributions?

NOTE:
There are two common ways to have BOINC automatically start on a Linux system. The first will start BOINC when you log in to your Linux system. This involves placing code into your shell resource file (such as .bashrc). The second will start BOINC when the system is started. You can read more about this at the following sites;

http://www.spy-hill.net/~myers/help/boinc/unix.html#start and http://boinc.berkeley.edu/autostart_dennett.txt

good luck with that. :)
spacer.gif

Reaction score
:thumb:I have downloaded and burnt 4 discs of robolinux from Sourceforce from different mirrors tried to installed two of the the first one did not boot, second one did boot but would only work from the burnt disc and would not install on to the C drive. I have two more to go so fingers crossed it will turn out OK eventually. But if do manage to install the dam operating system I have a question, and that is:- the vertial OS Windows 10 will that stillhold all my saved data ? or will it all have been lost in the transfer:confused:.
Sorry about not keeping all informed of how this project is progressing but the last few days not feeling too well, but better now.:lol:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
:thumb:I have downloaded and burnt 4 discs of robolinux from Sourceforce from different mirrors tried to installed two of the the first one did not boot, second one did boot but would only work from the burnt disc and would not install on to the C drive. I have two more to go so fingers crossed it will turn out OK eventually. But if do manage to install the dam operating system I have a question, and that is:- the vertial OS Windows 10 will that stillhold all my saved data ? or will it all have been lost in the transfer:confused:.
Sorry about not keeping all informed of how this project is progressing but the last few days not feeling too well, but better now.:lol:

Ah ha the sourceforge download does not work. Read my post 12 and it gives some information. If you do decide to go forward then this link will work,

http://www.robolinux.org/ROSSF-membership/mate/

Take things nice and steady and do not get stressed out by installs etc, steady away as they say. :nod:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Hi bootneck02 I just re read your second to last post regarding W 10.

If you have W 10 already on a drive and you have a spare drive install Robo to the spare drive.

If you use the default choices when installing Robo then it will use all the drive and that will delete anything already there.
You can chose which partition to install Robo to but that depends on if you have any extra partitions already set up.

You may be a tad confused about the Robo VM stuff so I'll try and explain.

You install Robo.
Then you either install and set up free VM software, or you ante up and get the one click Robo VM solution.
Once the VM stuff is set up you install any operating system to it just as you would so a normal install to a hard drive. In your case that would be Windows 10.
Then you will have Robo running and when you click on the VM icon on your desktop you will have your Windows 10 running from within Robo.
You can then open and close W 10 and add programs and do stuff just as you would a normal W 10. You will have to read the instructions about the VM stuff as I have not run it so am unfamiliar with details of how it works.

Hope that helps clear things up.

:cool:

Reaction score
:thumb:Thanks for the help Abarbarian, I am likely to sort out putting Robo on my PC in a few days time when my concentration is better as at the moment it is not too good after my problem with my health and feel knackered all the time:confused:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
and feel knackered all the time:confused:

Like I said several times . Chill out man and take it easy. Your no spring chicken and it takes longer to recover. Walk a little slower and not so far and have a sit halfway around or even more often. :nod:

Reaction score
Well I have downloaded Robolinux 64 bit and to be quite honest hated it, yes it has many aps but two many and they were so many they were overwhelming. The only thing I did like was the speed, but I was brought up so to speak on Microsoft and have got used to it. Oh well back onto MS 10 but the surprise was what was MS knew about me and what I had downloaded, email addresses, internet connections etc. FRIGHTENING !!!!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Well I have downloaded Robolinux 64 bit and to be quite honest hated it, yes it has many aps but two many and they were so many they were overwhelming. The only thing I did like was the speed, but I was brought up so to speak on Microsoft and have got used to it. Oh well back onto MS 10 but the surprise was what was MS knew about me and what I had downloaded, email addresses, internet connections etc. FRIGHTENING !!!!

Well done on getting an install to work. It is rather a neat os and pretty nippy too. Shame about the too many choices. You could just ignore all the ones you do not need or make desktop icons for the ones you do need. The rest would stay out of the way and not be bothersome.
Maybe you can have another look when you are fully recovered or when you get sick of MS again :lol:

Keep taking things steady away and enjoy. :cool:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I posted earlier I'd downloaded the 64 Bit Mate version and had burnt it to DVD. I just booted from the DVD and it turns out the version I have is Live only, if I want to obtain an install version they want money from me.

They spout a lot of old tosh about '9 out of 10 Linux users want more polished software and for that they need money' how did they arrive at that 9 out of 10 figure I wonder? I suspect pure fantasy. Truth be told any software user that runs apps in any OS wants more polished software, s'only natural, so that line is just a come on to justify a sale.

Not even Ubuntu (Canonical), who are trying to re-write all the Linux basics and steal it for their own, don't withhold their OS until they get cash. Robolinux asking for money for a Linux system for domestic use flies against all the principles Linux was founded on and as far as I'm concerned they can go **** themselves - like, get right out of my face.

They admit to almost 1 million users and 1 million x $2.37 is a lot of money to collect annually (admittedly after first payment donations are voluntary).

I was straight online with it, lots of good software pre-installed, all media compatible and very fast - but I couldn't get my Asus soundcard to work with the Live version. So, goodbye you conniving little tricksters, you can all take a long run off a short pier and stuff your not-free operating system right up your jacksie :mad:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
So, having copped the flavour for a new distro install I browsed the list at DistroWatch for ideas and eventually decided on Debian. The Vanilla version. But it seems their servers are down or summat cos I couldn't connect to download an ISO.

After a while, thought I'd try openSuse 13.2, currently downloading.

I was tempted to try Slackware or Arch but I really don't want to spend lots of time getting alternately frustrated and satisfied, I just want a distro that works out the box, I have better things to spend my time on than glued to a console box, like building audio equipment fer instance.

38% of Suse d/l. 9.5 minutes to go.

Incidentally, in Distrowatch's list of most popular distros Mint is top and Robolinux is at number 34.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Have installed openSuse 13.2, not as straightforward as the more user-friendly distros but nothing too challenging. Too late now to have a mess about, will have an explore tomorrows.

I was thinking, Robolinux charging money for a distro, this is probably a first for a domestic distro. Could be they're testing the waters by charging and the carrot on the stick is offering a distro pre-loaded with oodles of apps and making it a good user-friendly operating system.

So supposing they get 1 million plus people paying them money, that's a powerful incentive for greed. Next step is they prove people are willing to pay money so they will fill their 'customer base' with bulls**t and gradually raise their prices until one day they'll charge the same as Microsoft charge for Windows.

Don't believe me? Robolinux are planting the seeds to create an army of paying sheep who will, one day, overturn the noble idea that Linus Torvalds set out.

As I said before, asking for a voluntary contribution - quite ok. Demanding money for access to Linux - very, very wrong.

muckshifter

Reaction score
I re-installed Win 10 Pro on me laptop. I got fedup of the Linux funnies ... again. :)

I have 11 free Linux DVDs ... for sale. ;)

Ask a Question