Robolinux Mate Raptor 8.1

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I posted earlier I'd downloaded the 64 Bit Mate version and had burnt it to DVD. I just booted from the DVD and it turns out the version I have is Live only, if I want to obtain an install version they want money from me.

They spout a lot of old tosh about '9 out of 10 Linux users want more polished software and for that they need money' how did they arrive at that 9 out of 10 figure I wonder? I suspect pure fantasy. Truth be told any software user that runs apps in any OS wants more polished software, s'only natural, so that line is just a come on to justify a sale.

Not even Ubuntu (Canonical), who are trying to re-write all the Linux basics and steal it for their own, don't withhold their OS until they get cash. Robolinux asking for money for a Linux system for domestic use flies against all the principles Linux was founded on and as far as I'm concerned they can go **** themselves - like, get right out of my face.

They admit to almost 1 million users and 1 million x $2.37 is a lot of money to collect annually (admittedly after first payment donations are voluntary).

I was straight online with it, lots of good software pre-installed, all media compatible and very fast - but I couldn't get my Asus soundcard to work with the Live version. So, goodbye you conniving little tricksters, you can all take a long run off a short pier and stuff your not-free operating system right up your jacksie :mad:

I think there is another distro called Elive that charges for the full install and it is quite a bit more. I do not really see anything wrong with the developer wanting to raise some loot for his efforts. You do get a live version to play with.
Anyways good luck with the Suse. The Makulu varieties might be worth a look if you fancy a change. I have only tried the Mate version which is running on my backup pc.:nod:

"like building audio equipment fer instance" life should always be about scratching the itch.

Best of luck with the W 10 you guys.
:cool:

Reaction score
Well had a quick look at Elive and looks interesting BUT am at the moment attempting W10 and that is another storey. As it is a W10 thing I will write in the W10 Thread:confused:.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Elive is a commercial distribution; while the live CD is available as a free download, those wishing to install it to a hard disk are asked to pay US$15 for an installation module.

What's with this ... pay for Linux crap? :eek: Don't they know Windows is even FREE these days? :lol:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Yeah I am not recomending Elive, just mentioning it. :cool:

An yup Windows 10 is free for a load of folks. I am still sat on the sidelines. :nod:

Reaction score
If you like Windows Media player stay on W8 as the new alternative is free for a month then you have to pay, also it don't seem to bring in all your CD's I have only got about 25 CD's transferred out of 40 odd Gigs worth of recordings, seems a common problem. As for Mr Mucks remarks the Download of W10 may be free for a 12 months but looks like you may have to pay extra for what comes in free previous editions of Windows free and in the future may have to pay for. So I will have a look at Elive and at Mint.

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Well I can offer no more advice than I already have.

Personally I would not run Elive, as it is a commercially driven distro and I think that they charge too much. I did try it a couple of years ago and it seems quite neat but could not do a full evaluation as I would not pay for the full install.

Robo Linux is the simplest install of any distro I have ever tried and from the small amount of testing I have done it seems to be very good indeed.

Mint is being run by a member here, for three years and it seems to be sound and stable.

Makulu Mate is my backup pc os and it was easy to install and runs nicely.

It always helps if there is someone around who can help out with any glitches a os throws up or if any customizing is required.

As to why you keep on transferring data or music etc around all the time, this baffles me. Myself I keep all data on separate drives or partitions. This helps to stop malicious data corruption and makes installing or re-installing operating systems a breeze.

Best of luck with your quest for a os. I will be too busy to help out much as I am diving into UEFI territory and dual or triple booting to start with and once I have a rig set up I have tons of stuff waiting in the sidelines to do.

:cool:

An best of luck with the recovery. :nod:

Reaction score
RIGHT, I have made a decision :eek: I have decided to dual boot, I do not trust Microsoft and so I am going to dual boot with Linux Mint 64bit and Mint will be my main operating system, but if I mess Up I will still have MS to fall back on and be able to ask for help from this site.

Reaction score
I have decided that if I dual boot I will end up just using Windows so have taken a leap of faith and downloaded Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 64bit so wish me luck everyone:user::lol:

Reaction score
Well here is the first days report so far with Mint, the download and installation was a breeze my main concern was how do I get WCG installed and needn’t have worried there was a link so all up and running. I am over the moon. Well what as a novice Linux user do I find having tried to use other Linux distro's . Firstly Zorin absolutely packed with aps so much so too much so and confusing for an old git like me it tries to be all things to all men and I think it fails because it becomes confusing. I am very happy with Mint and it is easy to use and does what it said on the label and so far I like it as it is easy to use and gets away from the invasive grip of Microsoft and the expensive aps one needs to use their OS need to have to run the OS safely. Any down sides NO none that I can think of at the moment. Easy to load onto PC, easy to use. At the moment a very happy bunny.:lol::lol::lol::thumb::thumb::thumb::user::user::user:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Grand to hear that you are a happy flying penguin. Hope you have loads of fun. :dance:

Reaction score
Well done on getting an install to work. It is rather a neat os and pretty nippy too. Shame about the too many choices. You could just ignore all the ones you do not need or make desktop icons for the ones youH do need. The rest would stay out of the way and not be bothersome.
Maybe you can have another look when you are fully recovered or when you get sick of MS again :lol:

Keep taking things steady away and enjoy. :cool:
Well done on getting an install to work. It is rather a neat os and pretty nippy too. Shame about the too many choices. You could just ignore all the ones you do not need or make desktop icons for the ones you do need. The rest would stay out of the way and not be bothersome.
Maybe you can have another look when you are fully recovered or when you get sick of MS again :lol:

Keep taking things steady away and enjoy. :cool:
Hello there! Scot here! (Newbie, sorta...)
Anyhow, I have been having a grand time with Robolinux.
That is until today. I powered up the system and the picture
of my grand niece as well as the pictures for the icons had gone poof!
I have been looking for a fix for this but, so far no joy.
I saw a few folks commenting on Robolinux.
Any of you more seasoned souls up for trying to help me?
Namaste'
Scot

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Hello there! Scot here! (Newbie, sorta...)
Anyhow, I have been having a grand time with Robolinux.
That is until today. I powered up the system and the picture
of my grand niece as well as the pictures for the icons had gone poof!
I have been looking for a fix for this but, so far no joy.
I saw a few folks commenting on Robolinux.
Any of you more seasoned souls up for trying to help me?
Namaste'
Scot

Not running Rob at the moment.

Have you done any updates lately ?
Was the niece pic used as a wallpaper ?
Was it kept in the default folder for wallpapers ?
Updates can reset things back to default settings sometimes. So if you have made changes and not used default folders then that could be the cause of the missing pics.
Have you made a full backup/clone of your running os ? If so reinstall from the backup if you can not find a solution.

We really need more specific information to offer any help.

Here is a top tip. Anyone using any operating system, Apple, Windows or Linux would be well advised to learn how to make a full system backup of their running system as soon as they can and keep on making up to date backups.
All pc's and os's go west at some time so a backup will save on time and stress. :D

Reaction score
Hi Scot, good advice from Abarbarian about backups, I have got admit I looked a Robolinux before I settled on Linux Mint Cinnamon which I have now been running for 3 years and so far touch wood has not let me down. Anyway welcome to PC Review enjoy your stay and join in.

Reaction score
To answer your questions, yes I had done some updating.
In fact, (now that I think of it) I briefly recall seeing something during the updates
that spoke of obtaining from a non authorized or unauthenticated source.
I went right by that. As for back ups, I had a bunch of stuff on the system that
I had burned a copy of and deleted. As for my grand niece's photo, I had that
in a system folder and on the desktop. Thus far, there are things I like about Robolinux.
But, there are things that mystify me. I am not sure what I will do just yet.
I can still use the machine but, I am beginning to wonder IF I got some sort of virus.
(Linux is supposedly pretty virus proof.) I will go ahead and get the rest of what
I want saved and maybe reinstall the O/S. Right now I am looking at other Linux O/S.
I do not know if any Linux flavor has a rollback option or not. One thing I REALLY want is a
version that is really good about using webcams and saving the footage.
(We have had some odd things go missing and reappear.) Like what you ask?
2 pairs of boxer briefs, (Yes boxer briefs) and extension cord. (That came back a day after I spoke with someone about the missing items.) I found it odd we chatted and the next day we were out and low and behold there was the extension cord right where I left it.
(And yes, I had checked in that spot prior to chatting with that certain soul.
The cord was MIA.)
Hmmmmm...
Any how, thank you for giving me a shout.
Namaste'
Scot

Last edited:

Ask a Question