From: Jeffrey Randow (MVP)
([email protected])
Subject: Re: Remote Desktop Web Connection

What type of IP address do you get over the VPN?
***None. Ran IPCONFIG /ALL

You can tell the RAS server to assign IP addresses itself in lieu of
using a DHCP Server...
***That is a PLUS!

(e-mail address removed)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

*****************
REPLY TO RESPONSE
*****************
I was trying to determine whether my Remote Desktop Connection was a
VPN connection on this server.
I have concluded it is not for the following reasons.

1. I am not assigned an IP by the server (no DHCP in sight and RAS is
configured to assign an IP via DHCP, not possible under the current
config)
2. I can continue to surf/chat etc. on my laptop while connected
3. Terminal Services/RDP can be used WITH or WITHOUT a VPN connection.

The techs charged us for VPN.
It is enabled on the server, but from the remote clients there is no
VPN connection being established.

Thanks,
Frank

Jeffrey Randow (MVP)

The other options would be to configure the RAS server to assign an
address (see http://onecomputerguy.com/w2k/w2k_vpn/w2k_vpn.htm for
instruction on how to do this) or to manually set an IP Address in
your local VPN client connection (under network properties)

**** PLEASE INSTALL THE MS04-007 SECURITY PATCH - ASN.1 Vulnerability
Could Allow Code Execution (828028) ***
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS04-007.asp