Windows Vista Remote Assistance Setting

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I was just having a look around and checking out some of the settings on here. I see that Remote Assistance is enabled, but on the XP machines, I have always disabled this setting, my thinking being, that if ever assistance was needed, I could re-enable it at the appropriate time. Not sure if I'm right, but I felt that it might pose a security risk to leave it enabled(?)

So, in Vista, would it be advisable to disable this setting please? Or does it not constitute any security risk by leaving it enabled. (I am running KIS6 by the way.) :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
With your track record and given that your using Vista it may be best to leave that setting enabled . :p
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
happywave.gif

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
With your track record and given that your using Vista it may be best to leave that setting enabled . :p
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
happywave.gif

Track record...........! :eek: Cheeky so-and-so - better duck, 'cos there's a low-flying leek headed in your direction!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Doh! ...You tricked me into parting with that leek, didn't you ... a very cunning plan, that was :p :lol:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Are you sure you wouldn't like me to send over some apple pie for dessert :rolleyes: :lol:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ooooooooooooh I say thats most kind of you . Freshly baked apple pie an if you could manage a drizzle of fresh cream or a scoop of ice cream that would be wonderful . Yummy :D
laughingsmiley.gif

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
I was just having a look around and checking out some of the settings on here. I see that Remote Assistance is enabled, but on the XP machines, I have always disabled this setting, my thinking being, that if ever assistance was needed, I could re-enable it at the appropriate time. Not sure if I'm right, but I felt that it might pose a security risk to leave it enabled(?)

So, in Vista, would it be advisable to disable this setting please? Or does it not constitute any security risk by leaving it enabled. (I am running KIS6 by the way.) :D
Up to you really ... Remote Assistance in Vista is different from XP ... as usual, MS has completely revamped the Remote Assistance feature in Vista.

You must give someone permission to share control ... it is not a security threat.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/398b5eda-aa7f-4078-94c5-1519b697bfa01033.mspx

I have left mine enabled ... ;)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Oh thank you Mucks, that is helpful... it did occur to me that with security being uppermost on the Vista agenda, that it might be ok, nice to make certain though :) The article was helpful too, thank you for that link:nod: :thumb:

Ask a Question