Windows XP Registry Editing

Reaction score
Hi there everyone.

I thought it would be a fun little project to port a build of LiveXP to an actual hard disk, just to mess around with. So far, things haven't been going so well. I guess you could call this my mega questions thread, if the mods are ok with that.

Anyways, I hope you Windows registry professionals out there could answer this question for me:

When I boot up what I have on the hard drive, it first says /minint/system32/config/SYSTEM is not there or corrupt. I know definitely it's there, but I'm not sure about the corrupt part. When I actually use LiveXP on the cd and browse to the SYSTEM registry hive on the hard disk, it usually either says it can't read it or nothing comes up, so that's kind of concerning. Then when I use my XP Pro SP2 cd (which was also used to build this) and use the Recovery console, it tells me the registry does not have an active controlset key. Sound easy enough to fix through registry editing, so does anyone have any pointers on what I should do to fix it?

Remember, reinstalling is not an option here ;)

Thanks in advanced.

~TGP1994

Last edited:
Reaction score
Everyone seems to go quiet at this :p

I have made some progress though. I get an lsass.exe error when starting up saying that it could not find a Name, but what I'm pretty sure it means is it can not find a registry key named "Name". I'm hoping someone here has the solution for how to fix that.

Reaction score
Well, since it seems like no one is going to help, I guess this thread can be locked :S

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The reason nobody is going to help, my friend, is that it's a likely possibility nobody here has the level of knowledge to help you.

In all the years XP has existed I haven't yet once been able to repair a corrupted mbr or system, in my experience Microsoft's repair facility is pretty much useless.

tgp1994 said:
Remember, reinstalling is not an option here ;)

No comment :)

We won't lock the thread, somebody may come along to post a suggestion or two and although it may be too late to be of any help to you, it could very well be of interest to others.

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems and I do hope you find a solution.

If you do manage to find a solution, we'd apreciate it if you'd post it here, for others to see.

Have you posted this problem on several forums?

If so, any answers/suggestions?

Good luck.

Reaction score
Ok, thank you both. Ya, I have posted on several other places, although mis-communications on one led to it getting nowhere. I've actually deleted what I've had done now, although I'm using Bart's method, the install script 2.0.2 that comes with it. It seems to have a glitch where it says C:\ntldr is missing, although I know it's there. Thanks for the help so far :)

Ask a Question