Windows XP Recovery Console

Reaction score
Hi, this might me in the wrong area of this forum, I apologize if that is so.

I am running Windows XP Pro with SP3. I am running an older machine (Dell Precision Work Station 360, with 4 GB of RAM).

I deleted Comodo Anti Virus (the latest free addition) software, and checked the registry if it left any traces behind after I rebooted the computer. It left numerous traces. I proceeded to do a search and deleted each line in the registry that had a reference to Comodo Anti Virus (I know I probably created this problem for myself:cry:).

I restarted my computer and and I could not get it started. I was being prompted for a administrator password. I am the only user and never assigned any administrator password. I then went to Recovery Console from my Windows XP installation disk, I tried to fix my installation from the setup. My thinking was, that it would overwrite all OS files.It did, or so I thought. After doing this I was again prompted for administrator password (see above). I never had an administrator password.

I should have also stated that before the system prompted me for an adminsitrator password, I recived error messages like:

The system registry does not appear to have an active ControlSet key

Isass.exe - system error: An invalid parameter was passed to a service or function

In both cases, I was not able to get past these error messages, and I had to manually turn my computer off.

I ran Recovery Console again and I cold not get past any of the option since I am always being asked for an administrator password.

Do any of you fine people out there have any ideas on how to fix my system? I was considering upgrading to Windows 7 Pro, but I have been told that my system would not support this operating system. The same is more true with Windows 8.

Help!!!!:D

Last edited:
Reaction score
It would take longer to fix Windows than it would to backup your data and re-install a fresh copy of XP, only takes 30mins for XP to finish an install. Being an XP machine its less likely you're going to have terrabytes of files to backup.

If you're thinking how do I backup data without re-installing/reformatting then use a Bootable Linux CD, such as Ubuntu, you only need to access a file manger. Copy the contents of the internal Hard Disk to a USB pen or external HDD.

If you want to safely remove registry data from your PC in the future, use a tool such as CCleaner: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Ask a Question