Registering a game, play without cd?

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
is it really worth registering a game? i know in HL2 its required. Cause when i was playing UT04 online it said it was vertifying my user key (same as registering?) when it was done i could play the game with out the CD :)
does anyone know if this happens on all games? cause it would be nice if it did.

Reaction score
If i want to play a game without a CD i just crack it with a patch from gamecopyworld.com - saves the original CD's getting scratched up and its convenient!

I never register...

Reaction score
My brother does all that craking stuff so no need for the cd ... he has done it with all my games including CS:S ... he hasn't got round to craking ... FM 2005 , BHD , BIA and Swat4 :)

Oh well lol

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
i just crack it with a patch from gamecopyworld.com.

what exactly do you mean :s

if you copy it, so you dont need a disc, does it use alot of memory on your comp? and slow it down :s

Reaction score
Games dont RUN off the cd (normally), the computer just wants to know you own the CD... copyright protection. If you patch it, it will get rid of this - and you dont need the CD.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Techy is right there I'm afraid guys, so no more talk about cracks please :) However, Alf's original question didn't involve cracking so just keep it on track ;) I don't know if cracking is illegal or not, so until anyone can prove otherwise its a grey area.

I too was quite pleased to see CS:S and HL:2 don't need the CD to play, as you are "forced" to register it so there is no point in CD protection. It saves so much time not needing to swap CD's over.

Saving CDs and using an Image Drive program is perfectly legal and can save you inserting the CD each time, I use that for any game that requires it as it simplifies things so much!

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Saving CDs and using an Image Drive program is perfectly legal and can save you inserting the CD each time, I use that for any game that requires it as it simplifies things so much!
how do i do this!? i would be grateful if you tell :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Call Of Duty doesn't need CD in drive for online play yet it does for Single Player. This is quite a common thing.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Alf said:
how do i do this!? i would be grateful if you tell :D

Try a search for "daemon" on the forum, or google for "daemon tools" - its a greap app :) A good idea for an article once I've got time :D

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Just read the thread along with the site, but i dont understand it :(
what does it do exactly?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Alf said:
Just read the thread along with the site, but i dont understand it :(
what does it do exactly?

It basically emulates a CD/DVD drive on your PC, it means you can rip a CD/DVD you have to ISO format with your CD Burning application and this will then let you have a virtual CD rom which you can store on your PC.

Big companies do this to store 100's of applications installation/runtime CDs on a server. Its worth doing if you have lots of disk space to spare.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Disk space is at a premium right now. ill have to pass.

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
It basically emulates a CD/DVD drive on your PC, it means you can rip a CD/DVD you have to ISO format with your CD Burning application and this will then let you have a virtual CD rom which you can store on your PC.

Big companies do this to store 100's of applications installation/runtime CDs on a server. Its worth doing if you have lots of disk space to spare.

So for example. I own sims 2, but I really hate inserting the DVD every time I want to play. Also I don't play every day so sometimes by the time I find the dvd I dn't even feel like playing any more. So will backing up my own disk on my hard drive allow me to bi pass inserting the disk?? ;) :D

Reaction score
Sims 2 Emulation

Raje said:
So for example. I own sims 2, but I really hate inserting the DVD every time I want to play. Also I don't play every day so sometimes by the time I find the dvd I dn't even feel like playing any more. So will backing up my own disk on my hard drive allow me to bi pass inserting the disk?? ;) :D

Yes it is quite possible, all you have to do is use a CD Emulation program (Alcohol 120% or Nero recommended) but there are many freeware programs available on the net if you look hard enough.

P.S. You may only copy and emulate CD's YOU OWN, otherwise it would be illegal to do so!!!

Reaction score
system32_freak, your answering a thread that has been dormant for 6 months, why?

Reaction score
Alf said:
is it really worth registering a game? i know in HL2 its required. Cause when i was playing UT04 online it said it was vertifying my user key (same as registering?) when it was done i could play the game with out the CD :)
does anyone know if this happens on all games? cause it would be nice if it did.

Just a copyright thing really.

Hate installing a 3GB game and it still need the cd.

Most games do not need a cd just to check if you own the game.

But i don,t see this breaking the law if the game is your and not a cd-r version.

Ask a Question