Recovery Console for SP 2

mgm

Since I've updated my os to Win XP sp2 from the original Win XP pro, I
cannot install a recovery console from my initial XP CD ROM.
This is what happens: from start/run --- I type in:
E:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

then this dialogue box of error msg. appears saying:

"Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is
newer than the version on the CD.

Warning: If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is
currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be
recovered."

How does Win XP Pro SP2 install a Recovery Console?

cquirke (MVP Win9x)

Since I've updated my os to Win XP sp2 from the original Win XP pro, I
cannot install a recovery console from my initial XP CD ROM.
This is what happens: from start/run --- I type in:
E:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons
then this dialogue box of error msg. appears saying:
"Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is
newer than the version on the CD.
How does Win XP Pro SP2 install a Recovery Console?

The problem is that when you install SP2, this invalidates your
installation CD for the purposes of RC, and "repair" install.

You need to create a new OS installation CD that has SP2 slipstreamed
into it. SP2 should prompt you do do this when you install it, and
provide a nice UI to do this then or later, but it doesn't.

So you end up with "the large print giveth..." (features and goodness
of SP2) "...and the small print taketh away" (broken maintenance).

-------------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Reality is that which, when you stop believing
in it, does not go away (PKD)

Rock

mgm said:
Since I've updated my os to Win XP sp2 from the original Win XP pro, I
cannot install a recovery console from my initial XP CD ROM.
This is what happens: from start/run --- I type in:
E:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

then this dialogue box of error msg. appears saying:

"Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is
newer than the version on the CD.

Warning: If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is
currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be
recovered."

How does Win XP Pro SP2 install a Recovery Console?

Two options. One is to have the recovery console installed before
upgrading to SP2. The other is to create a slipstreamed CD with SP2,
then upgrade with that and install the recovery console.

Michael Stevens

mgm said:
Since I've updated my os to Win XP sp2 from the original Win XP pro, I
cannot install a recovery console from my initial XP CD ROM.
This is what happens: from start/run --- I type in:
E:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

then this dialogue box of error msg. appears saying:

"Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your
computer is newer than the version on the CD.

Warning: If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is
currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be
recovered."

How does Win XP Pro SP2 install a Recovery Console?

Click on the link below, or copy and paste the link into the address box
if using the web based newsgroup.
Recovery console info. #21
http://michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#21
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
(e-mail address removed)
http://michaelstevenstech.com

mgm

Looks like I'm screwed... I might do more damange "bastardizing" a recovery
console onto a SP2 box.
Thank goodness I believe in backing up. At least I'll have my data save in
a crisis. Of course, I'll loose all the time needed to reinstall an OS and
applications. SHEEESH..WHY NO WARNING FROM MICROSOFT ABOUT THIS ????

cquirke (MVP Win9x)

If your partitions are setup correctly, meaning separated from data, etc.,
you can have XP running within 30 minutes.

Then again, getting it running the way you want can take the rest of
the day... or at least, a few hours :-(

Having to rebuild is always a disaster, and should never be seen as a
generic first fix for anything. If you need to rebuild, then your
maintenance has failed and the patient has died on the table.

-------------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Reality is that which, when you stop believing
in it, does not go away (PKD)

Alex Nichol

mgm said:
Since I've updated my os to Win XP sp2 from the original Win XP pro, I
cannot install a recovery console from my initial XP CD ROM.
This is what happens: from start/run --- I type in:
E:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

then this dialogue box of error msg. appears saying:

"Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is
newer than the version on the CD.

You have to have the full 266 MB Sp2 (eg the free CD) and then make a
new CD from your original XP one, with SP2 'slipstreamed' in. See eg
Slipstreaming SP2:
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7262

mgm

Thanks for all the input. I stand corrected if Microsoft warned of this
issue. I did review Microsoft's "What to do/know before" articles and
associated KB info. I must have missed this particular issue.
However, it appears that to be fully informed of the many possibilities for
issues surrounding this Service Pack, just may have taken more time than a
complete rebuild of a system.
I work in an IT dept. and we were instructed to not deploy SP2 until the
many issues were resolved; until patches for this huge patch were released.
I wish I had heeded that advice for my home systems.

Kelly

Hi Chris,
Then again, getting it running the way you want can take the rest of
the day... or at least, a few hours :-(

Not if you have an image. :blush:) And even if not, I could not even imagine
what would take that long to customize and remember, I am the Queen of
customization. said:
Having to rebuild is always a disaster, and should never be seen as a
generic first fix for anything. If you need to rebuild, then your
maintenance has failed and the patient has died on the table.

You are absolutely correct and within my five years working the groups here,
I can't remember a time I suggested in doing so. If asked how, I will
answer, but wouldn't suggest it. As for the patient dying on the table, I
would argue that it probably had more to do with lack of patience and
knowledge....
--
All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

David Candy

Some senior MS programmers believe that one should clean install if one is exposed to any security threat (though overkill for most home users) as one can't guarantee that the threat has been removed - the threat may be the one telling you it's been cleaned.

Kelly

Thanks for your reply, David. But if you meant senior as to what that
implies here, I am decades away, if not and if so said is true, how sad, but
could very well be true. However, the senior programmers need to know that
flat lining is NOT the answer for the users of these groups, IMO.

--

Kelly said:
Thanks for your reply, David. But if you meant senior as to what that
implies here, I am decades away, if not and if so said is true, how sad, but
could very well be true. However, the senior programmers need to know that
flat lining is NOT the answer for the users of these groups, IMO.

I think the trouble is that they tend to see things from the POV of the
Admin of a large corporate network. There flatlining back to an image
probably makes sense, for safety and standardisation. But NOT for an
end user of a stand alone machine (or small family/SB workgroup)

David Candy

There is obvious culture change being imposed on MS employees. They probably attend 1 security seminar a week or something for the last two years.

..