RAM shows 4092mb should be 8192mb

Reaction score
I noticed today when i installed a SW:empire at war, that it only showed my memory as 4092mb of ram when iv got 4 x 2gb installed on my p5n-t deluxe mobo. so i quickly looked on pc probe II to check my memory and it came up showing 4092 aswell. So i checked what the bios was saying and it sayed 8192mb was installed i also checked the pc properties that vista was showing me and it came up showing 8 gig was installed. Which should i trust? my money was on the bios but i wasnt sure why either of the others would show it as half other than they don't recognise any ram higher than 4gig?

any help would be great thanks.

stu

Reaction score
macca400 said:
I noticed today when i installed a SW:empire at war, that it only showed my memory as 4092mb of ram when iv got 4 x 2gb installed on my p5n-t deluxe mobo. so i quickly looked on pc probe II to check my memory and it came up showing 4092 aswell. So i checked what the bios was saying and it sayed 8192mb was installed i also checked the pc properties that vista was showing me and it came up showing 8 gig was installed. Which should i trust? my money was on the bios but i wasnt sure why either of the others would show it as half other than they don't recognise any ram higher than 4gig?

any help would be great thanks.

stu

Trust Vista, perhaps that game can only support a max of 4gb.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I would think he must be running 64bit Vista if its seeing 8GB.

Reaction score
It looks like that to, if its showing 8GB. Sometimes you can edit a file in the cam to allow it to read more ram. Does it only happen in this game?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Nobody in particular said:
If you are running a 32 Bit OS, then it only recognises 3.25 GB.(only 64 Bit OS' support more than 3 GB of RAM)
No!! :rolleyes:

All 32bit OS can access 4GB memory ... what is "reported" can be misleading.

:user:

Reaction score
wizkid said:
It looks like that to, if its showing 8GB. Sometimes you can edit a file in the cam to allow it to read more ram. Does it only happen in this game?

pc probe II, the software that came with my mobo said it was 4gb aswell which worried me, as i would have expected the software asus gave me with the mobo to recognise the max of the board which is 8gb?? The game is only one i have noticed that has shown the ram as 4gb

I've done some digging, the game was only ever tested on 32 bit os so i doubt it supports more than 4gb. But this game is an expansion(starwars empire at war:forces of corruption) and the origional game copy( star wars empire at war) worked just fine with 8gb. it didnt show results from a hardware scan though. i've got the game to work by adding on an extra .xml file.

Im using vista 64

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
No!! :rolleyes:

All 32bit OS can access 4GB memory ... what is "reported" can be misleading.

user.gif

Ah right :wall:

Reaction score
macca400 said:
pc probe II, the software that came with my mobo said it was 4gb aswell which worried me, as i would have expected the software asus gave me with the mobo to recognise the max of the board which is 8gb?? The game is only one i have noticed that has shown the ram as 4gb

I've done some digging, the game was only ever tested on 32 bit os so i doubt it supports more than 4gb. But this game is an expansion(starwars empire at war:forces of corruption) and the origional game copy( star wars empire at war) worked just fine with 8gb. it didnt show results from a hardware scan though. i've got the game to work by adding on an extra .xml file.

Im using vista 64

Probably that game then cant read over 4gb, as for the ASUS software that is weird see if there is any updates for it as they might have made it read 8gb now. Whats the BIOS showing the ram as? ? I would go ahead and download this and see what it reports back.

Hope it helps

Reaction score
I'll see if the update helps.Thanks i'll give that a try.The bios is showing it as 8gb

Reaction score
Had a look on Asus everything seems up to date.
Untitled.jpg

Won't show me my total memory because it's a trial but my free memory is over is over 4gb. so im using around 1.5gb to run vista and all the background stuff.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
macca400 said:
cheers muckshifter that's come up as saying iv got 8gb in total:D
It may be an old program, but it's constantly updated AND is invaluable for the info it gives. ;)

Glad you's happy.

640k is more than enough for anyone

:wave:

Ask a Question