Racing games

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
So I got this new fangled fancy steering wheel Link and what I'm asking is can anybody recommend some good racing games that work ok in Vista?

This wheel is solidly built and the software works well, all racing games recognised it and commands were easy to map.

But overall I'm disappointed, the only game that works well with it is GRID.

Here's a summary of games I tried:

On Vista machine:

GRID - works well, but took a helluva lotta time to get set up just right with finer settings, deadzones and the like. And I'm still getting used to it, it's odd after using a gamepad for so long. But I'm persevering.

Need For Speed Most Wanted - Didn't work properly

Need For Speed Underground 2 - Didn't work properly

Driv3r - Didn't work properly. In fact it slowed the game to a crawl.

On XP Machine:

TOCA Race Driver 3 - Corrupted the game, totally erroneus behaviour, had to uninstall the game, haven't yet reinstalled.

Colin McRae Rally 2 - Corrupted the game and wouldn't work at all.

Need For Speed Porsche 2000 - Worked, but not very responsive, unplayable.

Track Mania Nations Forever - wheel not recognised.

And that's all I've tried so far.

I have noticed that the wheel commonly sells for £74.00 and mine cost £60.00 from OCUK and that OCUK are now sold out with no ETA for any new stock. This worries me.

The wheel did look new, you can usually tell if it's a return or not, parts were in sealed polythene bags, no marks and it smelled new. I've only seen good reviews for this wheel but I do wonder.

I think I'm unlucky with steering wheels, here's my history of them:

A MoMo steering wheel, either Thrustmaster or Logi, bought reduced price from Comet, probably a return. Unresponsive, sluggish, useless. Returned for refund.

A Saitek wheel from Scan about £45.00, DOA, rma-ed, refunded.

Cheapie Logi with suction pads, no clamp, reduced from £28 to £15 at Staples. Totally rubbish. Returned and refunded.

And now this Thrustmaster. Solid build, clamp works well, just seems lots of racing games are incompatible.

Ok, most of my racing games are old and I have noted the only racing game to work with the wheel is a fairly new one. This brings me back to my original question - can anybody recommend any good new-ish racing games?

If this wheel has further problems I'm seriously thinking of trying for an rma with OCUK but I honestly don't think the wheels faulty, it just doesn't seem to work with older games.

If I do abandon the wheel I think I'm going to give up on racing games on the PC and just get a console and steering wheel, no problems there and there are loads more console racing games than PC racing games.

And while we're on the subject, in the past I have argued fiercely in favour of a PS3 over an X-Box.

But just lately I've been looking at X-Box and PS3 games and I think, overall, X-Box has a better choice of games.

Oh poo.Emabarrassing :blush:

But X-Box still prone to failure more than PS3 so I dunno.

And forum member Capt Zed linked to a news article that may mean the demise of the Blu-Ray format which kinda knocks the PS3's big advantage into a cocked hat.

Still wondering.

Ok, enough waffling - recommend me some racing games :)

Reaction score
GTR-EVOLUTION...There is a demo you can download first.

Requirements

Minimum requirements
- Operating Systems Microsoft Windows XP Home/Pro, Windows Vista*
- Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or 100% compatible
- Memory 1 GB RAM
- Hard Drive 3.7 GB free space
- 3D Accelerator DirectX 9 compatible graphics card with 256MB memory
- Sound Card DirectX 9 compatible
- Input Keyboard and Mouse
- DirectX Version 9

Recommended requirements
- Operating Systems Microsoft Windows XP Home/Pro, Windows Vista*
- Processor 3 GHz Intel Pentium IV or 100% compatible
- Memory 2 GB RAM
- Hard Drive 4.7 GB free space
- 3D Accelerator DirectX 9 compatible graphics card with 512 MB memory
- Sound Card DirectX 9 compatible
- Input DirectX 9 compatible Force Feedback steering wheel
- DirectX Version 9

Edit: I have the first GTR that came out some time ago, and this is real simulation..Everything from changing damper and rebound setting on suspension, to air ducting on brakes, brake bias, to fuel levels..etc...Its an awesome game...

Last edited:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I see that you tried TM Nations Forever on your XP (but wheel not recognised). Did you try that game on Vista? I have it on mine and it works well, (however, I use a game controller as I haven't got around to getting a wheel... yet.)

Thought dawning alert....Do you mean that a wheel would not work with it regardless of which system you play it on? If so, that's a pity, 'cause it would make it so much easier to stay on the track :D

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
And forum member Capt Zed linked to a news article that may mean the demise of the Blu-Ray format which kinda knocks the PS3's big advantage into a cocked hat.

Did you see the date of the article though - I'm sure it was well over 6 months old, and I've not seen this new technology about yet?

Download a game called "Live for Speed" Flops - Trial is free. It's meant to imitate real world physics - graphics aren't award winning but its bloody good fun.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
MadX:

I was aware of GTR-Evolution but it doesn't say if it's Vista compatible. Still, as there's a demo it's a contender, thank you :thumb:

TC: I will try TmNations Forever again on Vista but it didn't work for me last time I tried it, only on XP.

Chris: Must confess I'm a little sceptical of claims made about Blu-Ray's demise, it's only just becoming established.

Of course the big advantage of the PS3 is the fact it's also a Blu-Ray player which kind of accounts for half it's price.

But the cost of Blu-Ray DVD's means I wouldn't be in an awful hurry to be buying any. Maybe rent them, dunno.

Thanks for the 'Live For Speed' recommendation, can't argue with free, I'm about to search for it, thank you :thumb:

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
MadX:

I was aware of GTR-Evolution but it doesn't say if it's Vista compatible. Still, as there's a demo it's a contender, thank you :thumb:

Yeah its Vista compatible, but with limited support..

Reaction score
i've been playing burnout paradise city(the ultimate box) edition and love it.the graphics are fantastic..and you get a real sense of speed.It's more arcady in feel not very sim like but all the jumps and stunts you can do make for a very enjoyable time

http://www.criteriongames.com/packs/pc.php

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Saw a game cheap today, so bought it - Evolution GT - for six quid thinking it was the one MadX linked to above. It's not is it? :(

Oh well, I shall give it a go as it says it's Vista compatible.

Also got NFS Pro Street cheap, also Vista compatible.

I doubt if I'll try them tonight, it be 22:40 now but I'll let y'all know how I get on with them and the steerring wheel.

I also note NFS Carbon is quite a recent game - anybody have any experience of it?

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Saw a game cheap today, so bought it - Evolution GT - for six quid thinking it was the one MadX linked to above. It's not is it? :(

Oh well, I shall give it a go as it says it's Vista compatible.

Also got NFS Pro Street cheap, also Vista compatible.

I doubt if I'll try them tonight, it be 22:40 now but I'll let y'all know how I get on with them and the steerring wheel.

I also note NFS Carbon is quite a recent game - anybody have any experience of it?

Yeah I own NFS Carbon, seems to work ok on Vista although I never got the online playing sorted out, it just kept saying unable to create game session. However its still a great game. :thumb:

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:

No Uncle Flopps, definitely a very very different game..The one I linked you to is as I gave in my discription a proper simulation game...Think GTR is £17.00 from Amozon...I should know I have just ordered it...Evolution is a bit boring, not quite a simulator, easier to play with the keybord, in general crap....An dvery crap in that matter fo a system like yours in your sig...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Woohoo! Mr Mad - spot on :thumb:

If the demo of GTR - Evolution is anything to go by this is a superb game.

Graphics are good, though not top notch; this is a very realistic game, seems true to life and quite unforgiving.

If you enter a bend too fast the car doesn't spin out, mostly you just brake hard and keep on going in a straight line until you either stop or crash into a barrier.

But, best of all - this is the first game I've tried where the Thrustmaster FP430 steering wheel worked instantly and responsively without having to mess about extensively with ingame settings :thumb:

I'm getting a real sense of driving here, the demo supplies the big Brands Hatch circuit, not the smaller one like most driving games provide and down the long straight there's a real sense of speed.

You really have to concentrate, slow down for bends and practice will make perfect.

Unlike Arcade racing games you won't be doing well straight out of the trap. You have to learn and get familiar with all aspects of the game and your hardware before you will do well.

Very pleasurable indeed, I will almost certainly buy this game.

NFS Prostreet didn't work on my Vista machine with the Thrustmaster wheel connected, displayed same symptoms as Driv3r did, random fluctuations, menu scrolling by itself and other anomalies. Unplayable.

Driv3r, incidentally, worked ok before I connected the wheel and loaded the Thrustmaster software, so maybe Prostreet is suffering the same.

I shall try Prostreet on my XP machine without steering wheel, just gamepad, and report back.

I had actually unwrapped my copy of Evolution-GT so Makros would not take it back, so I shall try that in XP as well, just out of interest.

Reaction score
1. GTR2... (it has FIA GT 2003 and 2004 seasons.. One of the most realistic racing game for the pc...)
2. Race 07... (it has WTCC 2006, 2007 seasons... somethin like gtr2...)

These are the best game that i have that i think is the best to play with a wheel because they are f'king real....

Last edited:
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Thankee for the recommendations Kelv, I'll look into those 2 :thumb:

KelveMcQuay said:
1. GTR2... (it has FIA GT 2003 and 2004 seasons.. One of the most realistic racing game for the pc...)

GTR 2 is the predecessor to GTR-Evolution...

Glad ya like the game though and glad the wheel works...:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Have just installed NFS Prostreet on my AMD/XP SP3 machine and it works perfectly straight out the box.

I'm using a Logi Mk 1 cordless gamepad on that machine, haven't tried it with the steering wheel.

The symptoms Prostreet displayed on my Vista/Intel/Steering wheel setup were exactly the same as Driv3r and TOCA 3 showed, btw, so it seems the Thrustmaster F430 wheel does not like older games :(

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
did you try LFS flops?

No, I didn't.

The free part is a demo with one track and three cars and the full game costs £24.00.

And is it online only? As it says it's an online simulator.

The community looks good though and to give the publishers/developers credit they're owning up to the bugs in the game and giving progress reports on fixing them.

I may try it, not sure.

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:

Installed this last night on pretty low spec Vista machine..What fun it is to play..Using keyboard for controls as I have no wheel or pad to play with..Busy doing the training and I think I crashed about 5 times before I even got out the pits..Going to have to get myself a game pad tomorrow...Fun game though
:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Alright, in for a penny, in for a pound if Mr Mad and Mr Postill give it the thumbs up guess I better try it :)

Downloading now.

I did try Evolution GT and it is indeed a complete pile of poo. Boot Sale fodder.

It says 'ere you need another game to make Evolution-GTR work as it's an expansion, GTR 07 I think.

The pair of them are £17.00 at Steam for download which seems a fair price to me but it has a disclaimer that it has limited functionality within Vista. I'm assuming they mean GTR 07 is limited cos the Evolution-GTR demo is working fine within Vista.

I've never downloaded a full game before, believe it or not.

Now I know that once you've paid for a game, once you install Steam on a fresh install it will automatically (more or less) download and install all the games you've purchased with all updates.

But.

There's something rather comforting about having a DVD in a case sitting on a shelf ;)

Can you actually burn a disc from Steam game downloads, does anybody know?

Oh, there we go, download complete, 132Mb in 3 mins 6 secs (LFS).

Will probably wait til morning to try this.

Ask a Question