R.I.P. my psu I think

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Went to fire up good ol ASGARD after giving up on the linux install on XXXX and , nothing , zero , nowt .
Swapped power lead for a working one so I know thats not the problem . The psu lights do not come on and there is no sound coming out of it at all . It has two light on it and two switches , fiddled and still nothing .
I get a green light on the mobo though , is this powered by the coms battery ? or is some power getting through from the psu ?
Is there an internal fuse in the psu that I can check or replace??
The psu is an Enermax 400 and has been running for about 18 months about 70% of that time has been spent Boinc'ing .
Bought the thing in April 2006 but did not get around to using it till August 2006 .
I'm guessing that it is out of warranty . I'm not very impressed , thats a very short life span for a pretty expensive psu .

So do you recon its dead and is there any way I can test it ??

Don't forget , if you are giving me instructions , to make em simple as I'm technophobicaly impaired .

laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
oh dear sorry to hear of that me old china. When is the funeral? :(

Have you tried it in another machine?

I think that green light on your board comes from the ATX connection into your board which is of course powered by the PSU.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Best way to check is to attach another PSU and see if that works :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I get a green light on the mobo ... is some power getting through from the psu ?
Yes!

Is there an internal fuse in the psu that I can check or replace??
No!

... is there any way I can test it ??
Take the PSU out of the case. Short the Green and any Black of the 20/24 pin power connector ... the PSU should respond with the fan spinning.

For the tech impaired, see attached pic. ;)

Enermax usually offer a 3year warranty ... :thumb:

user.gif

Attachments

• PS-TROUBLE.gif
    PS-TROUBLE.gif
    11.5 KB · Views: 208

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Actually, some PSU's do have internal 20mm glass fuses, but very few.

Do what Mucks says, shorting green + black.

If you have a voltmeter to read ATX connector voltages, all the better.

Reaction score
DO NOT open the psu casing unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Residual current-dangerous.

Also, opening the casing usually means breaking the warranty seal thus invalidating the warranty.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ta fer speedy and super replies folks .

Knew about the dangers of sticking me fingers inside , similar to microwaves .

Have seen glass fuse in a very old psu I took to bits ages ago but did not know if it was possible to replace them ie where would you get one from etc etc .

Good tip about the shorting . I'm guessing that the psu does not need to be pluged into the wall socket for this ??

Drat , wrong make , bought from Quiet PC as a "B" grade and its an Elan Vital Greenerger not an Enermax . Don't know why I made that mistake .

I have another psu but it will be a pain to swap and try .

So I'll try the shorting , write to supplier to see if I can get a warranty jobby . Last of all try swapping . Will give a progress report in due time .

user.gif

:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well, of course you gotta plug the PSU into the mains to see if fan spins :D

It's true it's unlikely that you'll find a 20mm fuse but worth a look.

Most circuit boards now use cp's (circuit protectors) which are soldered into the pcb and look like a two legged transistor.

So unless you got a circuit diagram are fairly hard to locate and identify.

20mm fuses can be purchased from RS, Maplins, CPC/Farnell or any good Electrical Wholesalers. Pay no more than 25p (and that's a bit rich) per fuse.

Residual current is dc stored by big capacitors. This can take up to 24 hours to dissipate, so be careful.

I found this out the hard way when I used to fix tellies :blush:

Ouch.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ha ha of course it needs to be pluged in . Was just testing . Wanders of whistleing .

:blush:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Finally dragged myself away from the linux project and took a loook at Aasgard . Cor blimey what a lot of dust this thing gatheres up . It was only a month ago that it had a darn good clean . Its these pesky woodburners you know . So out came the hoover and the bike pump and the artists brushes . Job done time to try out Muck's tip . Found a paperclip and black and green wires , flicked the switch and hey presto fan spins . Good job I didn't take the psu out of the case , just disconnected the six cables . Put said six cables back in and powered up and away we go .
Thats the strangest thing .
Couldn't have just been the dust .
Oh well another tale from the outer limiits of human comprehension and the inexplicable machinations of the humble pc .

Thanks fer the help folk .

happywave.gif

Ask a Question