blown psu?

Reaction score
hi i need some advice. i turn or tried to turn my pc on this morning and when i push the power button iheard a small bang a then my pc wont turn on now. i opened the case up and checked to see everything looked ok which it does,so i thought id check the fuses in the power cable to the psu, changed a few fuse and that didnt work, so i found a spare power cable to try,plugged that in and it came on for a sec then there was another bang and it looked like it came from psu.

my first thought was that my motherboard had blown as the power led light on the board didnt come on when there was power to it, but now i think it could be the psu, what do you think it sounds like?

sorry if the is mistake in my thread as im having to use my ps3 to go online and its hard work writing with the controler ,many thanks inadvance leow.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you heard a bang, then it does sound like it will be the PSU :(

If you examinded inside the PC and no capacitors on the motherboard have blown, then you can be pretty sure it's the PSU.

Reaction score
oh thanks for the quick reply i do hope its the psu will be be cheaper to replace.imgoing round a m8s soon to test the psu ,ill up date on my progress

Reaction score
hi again well ive checked my pc at my m8 house and plugged in a new psu and it lit up the motherboard so, ive ordered a new psu :), quick question ive only had the psu about 4 years, the one b4 i had YEARS, i no that i use my computer ALOT more these days with the internet and downloading, but is 4 years a good life on a psu?

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Depends if its a cheapie PSU or not what brand is it..

Also be careful as when a PSU blows it normally takes other parts out on its way, you'll have to check the Mboard hasn't blown and that it P.O.S.T.S, and then check hard drives and graphics cards as all these could have been affected by the PSU going bang..

Good luck..

Reaction score
oh god u have worried me again now, i did check the capacitors on the motherboard and there all ok. i really dont wont anything else to have gone.

the psu is antec i didnt pay cheap but its not the the top of the range ones, around £40 at the time

Reaction score
hi just to let u no , it was my psu, ive fitted a new one and im up and running now, thanks for the help

leow

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Glad you sorted it and that it took nothing else out with it...:nod:

Ask a Question