mother board blown?

Reaction score
Hi i need some help with my pc. his morning i had a thunder storm a i think its blow my pc as it wont turn on. ive had a psu blow up on me b4 so ive been to maplins and got a new psu, ive plugged it in and the led light on the motherboard lights up indicating that its getting power,but when i press the power button nothing happens, my mother board is a asus commando p5 socket 775 and it has a post lcd screen on the back and that displays 00000 , 1111111, mmmmmmm, wwwww not sure if that means anything, is the motherboard had it ? has something else gonne ? please any advice would be appreciated, im having to use my ps3 to right this so sorry for any mistakes leow

Reaction score
I am unsure what that error means if it means anything I did a serch for it but could not find anything.

Do you have another system to test the parts in to find out what parts work and what dont, have you made sure everything is seated correctly in the side the pc? Although I would expect it to be the motherboard.

Reaction score
no i dont have another system to try the different parts. is that the only way im goona be able to find out which is not working? why wont the psu fan run even tho i can see power to the mother board ? also what is the chance of it just been the mother board ? am i gonna be that unlucky that it could be my processor graphics card hard drive which has gone

Reaction score
i might be able to test my parts in a m8s computer but his a bit worried that i will damage his computer. is there any risk in puttint my thunder stormed parts onto his mother board ?

Reaction score
leow said:
no i dont have another system to try the different parts. is that the only way im goona be able to find out which is not working? why wont the psu fan run even tho i can see power to the mother board ? also what is the chance of it just been the mother board ? am i gonna be that unlucky that it could be my processor graphics card hard drive which has gone

There is no real way of knowing what is and what isn't blown until you swap out each part and tset them individually...As for the fan running. The fan on my PSU comes on and off, it doesn't run continualy..

Reaction score
is it safe to try my parts in my m8 pc. Cuz if it buggers his up i aint gonna be alive :) i plan to test graphic card hard drive memory and hopefully processor

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
leow said:
is it safe to try my parts in my m8 pc. Cuz if it buggers his up i aint gonna be alive :) i plan to test graphic card hard drive memory and hopefully processor

You should be in no danger testing GFX card, memory, HDD . You should be ok with the cpu too but I would leave that till the very last.

I'm not sure about the fan not spinning on the new PSU, I recon it should spin even if slowly unless it is a real posh one with a passive mode. What PSU did you get?

user.gif

Reaction score
Another suggestiom would be to contact Asus support and ask them what the error code is that you are seeing on the LCD screen on your Mobo..They might be ableto tell you what it means...:thumb:

Reaction score
Generally when the PSU fan doesn't spin it's due to a short.
Remove everything from the case (including the psu), and set it up on a desk 1 bit at a time.
1st setup should be... PSU, Mainboard, CPU, 1 stick of RAM, Video Card.
Use a screw driver or something to tap the contacts for the power pin on the mainboard.
If it powers up then turn it off and add other bits.
If it doesn't I'd suggest replacing the mainboard as it's most likely to have burnt out something and is causing a short within itself.

Reaction score
hi ive installed a new motherboard and it turns on :) the first switch on it booted up no prob got into windows and it started installing software for the motherboard i guess once it had done that after 5 min it asked to restart so i did. B4 i turned it back on i put the side panel no and put it back into its slot all back to normal

Reaction score
turned it back on now and it turns itself off every time i try turning it on. Whats happen? It was working fine till i put it all back to normal

Reaction score
hi again sorry for the double reply was using my phone to write. right im using my pc atm and it hasnt turned off for about 5 min so far, ive got the side panel off atm, and the only things ive got plugged in r power cable mouse keyboard dvi cable and ethernet cable, is there any ideas why it was turning itself off ? overheating not sure what to think ? thanks again for helping

Reaction score
leow said:
hi again sorry for the double reply was using my phone to write. right im using my pc atm and it hasnt turned off for about 5 min so far, ive got the side panel off atm, and the only things ive got plugged in r power cable mouse keyboard dvi cable and ethernet cable, is there any ideas why it was turning itself off ? overheating not sure what to think ? thanks again for helping

Glad to hear you have made progress. :) I suggest that you recheck all the connections in the system and make sure everything is seated as it should be. This should fix it.

Reaction score
right the pc has been on for 2hrs plus and with restarts, and it works fine havent put it all together yet, im hoping it was something coming loose.

RIGHT worse prob now :( ive got a portable seagate freeagent go hard drive and it has all my photos and music, and i cant access it now, when i first plugged it in it would come on for 10 15 sec then the lights would turn off, un plugged it a few times and put it in, and now it stays on but windows doesnt dectect it show it and i cant access it to get all my stuff off PLEASE HELP this is worse than my first prob, its all to do with that bloody thunder storm

Ask a Question