QuickLaunch woes with multiple platforms

Bob

Is there a way to have the QuickLaunch area of the TaskBar dynamically
adjust its shortcuts depending upon what platform the user is logged onto?

I typically keep Microsoft Office shortcuts in the QuickLaunch (Excel,
Outlook and Word). As well as IE, ShowDesktop and Windows Explorer.

The problem is I have:

x86 and x64 machines
Office 2003 and 2007
XP and Vista.

....and that leaves me at four possible places for the Office shortcuts to
target and Vista version 2 roaming profiles to deal with.

If the QuickLaunch were tied to the machine (such as %AllUserProfiles% is),
then it would be stable. But with Roaming User Profiles and/or Redirected
Folders in place, the %AppData% moves with the user and the shortcuts in the
QuickLaunch consequently will only work on one platform.

I wrote a script to copy the proper icons in place depending upon the
machine logged onto, but I'm wondering if there is a better way? If not, my
script generally works okay, so I'll live with it if there is nothing
better.

Adams Qu [MSFT]

Dear Bob,

Thank you for posting here.

From your problem description, I understand that you would like to know
whether there is a method to adjust QuickLaunch area of the TaskBar
dynamically depending on the platform the user logged on. If I have
misunderstood about your concern, feel free to let me know.

I would like to first provide you with the following information:
If you would like to adjust QuickLaunch area of the TaskBar dynamically
depending on the platform, one method for us is customizing the Domain
default User Profile. As the Domain Default User Profile path for Vista is
different from Windows XP/2000, we can customize each default profile
individually to adjust QuickLaunch area of the TaskBar on different
platform. Below are the default User Profile paths for the different
platforms:

\\<Domain controllers>\NETLOGON\Default User (for XP, 2000 workstations)
\\<Domain controllers>\NETLOGON\Default User.v2 (for Vista workstations)

Note: Windows Vista creates a user profile when a user logs on to a
computer for the first time and does not have a roaming user profile. This
newly created profile originates from a default user profile. Domain joined
computers will search for a default network profile. The default network
profile is the default profile that is stored in the Default User folder
found in the Netlogon share of domain controllers.

Windows Vista cannot read a default network profile created from Windows
Server 2003 or Windows XP. Therefore, you need to create a new default
network profile using Windows Vista. You can customize the corresponding
Domain default User Profile to adjust the QuickLaunch bar to meet your
request.

For the detail steps, we can refer to the following website:

Managing Roaming User Data Deployment Guide - Manage roaming data using
Roaming and Mandatory Profiles
http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/fb3681b2-da39-4944-93a
d-dd3b6e8ca4dc1033.mspx?mfr=true

Regarding the issue you have experienced, we can try to deploy the "Folder
Redirection" policy to redirect the %AppData% folder in the Vista
Roaming.v2 Profile folder to the "Application Data" folder in the original
User Roaming folder (Windows XP) so that the original settings can be read
by the Vista machine. We can use this step to see if it helps.

For the detail steps, we can refer to the step "Configure the Application
Data folder to interoperate between Windows Vista and Windows XP" in above
article.

NOTE: Computers running Windows Vista cannot read roaming user profiles
created from Windows XP. This creates a problem for users who have a
roaming user profile but must roam from Windows Vista and Windows XP
computers. Windows Vista Folder Redirection makes this possible.

Folder Redirection allows you to redirect all the well-known folders that
ship in a Windows Vista user profile. This ability allows you to share a
folder in your Windows XP user profile with a folder in your Windows Vista
profile. For example, you can share the Favorites folder between Windows
Vista and Windows XP. You redirect the Favorites folder in Windows Vista to
the same location where the Windows XP synchronizes the Favorites folder in
the roaming user profile.

Hope above information is helpful. If anything is unclear in my post,
please don't hesitate to let me know.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Adams Qu
MCSE, MCDBA, MCTS
Microsoft Online Support

| From: "Bob" <[email protected]>
| Subject: QuickLaunch woes with multiple platforms
| Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 10:46:37 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| Is there a way to have the QuickLaunch area of the TaskBar dynamically
| adjust its shortcuts depending upon what platform the user is logged onto?
|
| I typically keep Microsoft Office shortcuts in the QuickLaunch (Excel,
| Outlook and Word). As well as IE, ShowDesktop and Windows Explorer.
|
| The problem is I have:
|
| x86 and x64 machines
| Office 2003 and 2007
| XP and Vista.
|
| ...and that leaves me at four possible places for the Office shortcuts to
| target and Vista version 2 roaming profiles to deal with.
|
| If the QuickLaunch were tied to the machine (such as %AllUserProfiles%
is),
| then it would be stable. But with Roaming User Profiles and/or
Redirected
| Folders in place, the %AppData% moves with the user and the shortcuts in
the
| QuickLaunch consequently will only work on one platform.
|
| I wrote a script to copy the proper icons in place depending upon the
| machine logged onto, but I'm wondering if there is a better way? If not,
my
| script generally works okay, so I'll live with it if there is nothing
| better.
|
| --
| Thanks,
|
| Bob

Adams Qu [MSFT]

Dear Bob,

Thank you for posting back.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to
post back.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Adams Qu