Connecting to Vista with RDP causes old desktop icons to appear

Simon Collier

I have two Vista machines, both using Vista Business.

"Machine 1" had many large files on the desktop (iso files I downloaded,
etc). I deleted them all.

I logged onto Vista "Machine" 1 from my home XP machine using Remote
Desktop. It took a long time to log on, like there was a large roaming
profile loading. When it came up, the old icons were back. When I logged in
locally at work the next day, I deleted all the files from the dekstop again
and forgot all about it.

I installed Vista onto a second machine. Then I logged on from home to
"Machine 2" using Remote Desktop. Oddly, the unwanted icons from the FIRST
desktop appeared on my new desktop. Also, my Live Messenger contact list was
duplicated (that's very annoying). I came into work today and deleted them
all again.

I do not have roaming profiles enabled, though I DO have folder redirection
setup for My Documents/ My Pictures/ My Music.

I'm baffled. I don't know where these old desktop icons are stored, or why
my Live Messenger contact list doubled itself up. I just did a search of the
file server that holds user directories, etc and there are no .iso files on
there. I'm baffled.

Note sure if this is relevant: We log into a Kerberos Realm when we log into
Windows, this sometimes complicates user accounts.??
(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/howto/kerbstep.mspx)

Thanks in advance for any help!
Simon

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Simon,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, does the issue only occur when you log into a Kerberos
Realm when you log into Windows?

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: "Simon Collier" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Connecting to Vista with RDP causes old desktop icons to appear
| Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 14:13:58 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| I have two Vista machines, both using Vista Business.
|
| "Machine 1" had many large files on the desktop (iso files I downloaded,
| etc). I deleted them all.
|
| I logged onto Vista "Machine" 1 from my home XP machine using Remote
| Desktop. It took a long time to log on, like there was a large roaming
| profile loading. When it came up, the old icons were back. When I logged
in
| locally at work the next day, I deleted all the files from the dekstop
again
| and forgot all about it.
|
| I installed Vista onto a second machine. Then I logged on from home to
| "Machine 2" using Remote Desktop. Oddly, the unwanted icons from the
FIRST
| desktop appeared on my new desktop. Also, my Live Messenger contact list
was
| duplicated (that's very annoying). I came into work today and deleted
them
| all again.
|
| I do not have roaming profiles enabled, though I DO have folder
redirection
| setup for My Documents/ My Pictures/ My Music.
|
| I'm baffled. I don't know where these old desktop icons are stored, or
why
| my Live Messenger contact list doubled itself up. I just did a search of
the
| file server that holds user directories, etc and there are no .iso files
on
| there. I'm baffled.
|
| Note sure if this is relevant: We log into a Kerberos Realm when we log
into
| Windows, this sometimes complicates user accounts.??

(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/howto/kerbstep
.mspx)

| Thanks in advance for any help!
| Simon

Simon Collier

Hi Ken:

Sorry for the delay.

Yes, the issue only occurs when I logon using the Kerberos Realm
credentials. When I logon using the domain account, it does not happen. (So
REALM\user1 is mapped to DOMAIN\user1. When I logon as REALM\user1 the old
files come over, when I logon as DOMAIN\user1 they do not.)

Thanks!
Simon

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hello Simon,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, does the issue only occur when you log into a Kerberos
Realm when you log into Windows?

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
rights.

--------------------
| From: "Simon Collier" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Connecting to Vista with RDP causes old desktop icons to appear
| Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 14:13:58 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| I have two Vista machines, both using Vista Business.
|
| "Machine 1" had many large files on the desktop (iso files I downloaded,
| etc). I deleted them all.
|
| I logged onto Vista "Machine" 1 from my home XP machine using Remote
| Desktop. It took a long time to log on, like there was a large roaming
| profile loading. When it came up, the old icons were back. When I logged
in
| locally at work the next day, I deleted all the files from the dekstop
again
| and forgot all about it.
|
| I installed Vista onto a second machine. Then I logged on from home to
| "Machine 2" using Remote Desktop. Oddly, the unwanted icons from the
FIRST
| desktop appeared on my new desktop. Also, my Live Messenger contact list
was
| duplicated (that's very annoying). I came into work today and deleted
them
| all again.
|
| I do not have roaming profiles enabled, though I DO have folder
redirection
| setup for My Documents/ My Pictures/ My Music.
|
| I'm baffled. I don't know where these old desktop icons are stored, or
why
| my Live Messenger contact list doubled itself up. I just did a search of
the
| file server that holds user directories, etc and there are no .iso files
on
| there. I'm baffled.
|
| Note sure if this is relevant: We log into a Kerberos Realm when we log
into
| Windows, this sometimes complicates user accounts.??

(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/howto/kerbstep
mspx)

| Thanks in advance for any help!
| Simon

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Simon,

Please test the issue in Safe Mode with Network to see if the issue still
occurs in this mode.
Start your computer in safe mode
<http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/323ef48f-7b93-4079-a48a
-5c58eec904a11033.mspx>

Also you may boot into Clean Boot mode using MSCONFIG to monitor the issue
again.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: "Simon Collier" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Connecting to Vista with RDP causes old desktop icons to
appear
| Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 15:26:21 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| Hi Ken:
|
| Sorry for the delay.
|
| Yes, the issue only occurs when I logon using the Kerberos Realm
| credentials. When I logon using the domain account, it does not happen.
(So
| REALM\user1 is mapped to DOMAIN\user1. When I logon as REALM\user1 the
old
| files come over, when I logon as DOMAIN\user1 they do not.)
|
| Thanks!
| Simon
|

| | > Hello Simon,
| >
| > Thank you for using newsgroup!
| >
| > From your post, does the issue only occur when you log into a Kerberos
| > Realm when you log into Windows?
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| > ====================================================
| > rights.
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Simon Collier" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Connecting to Vista with RDP causes old desktop icons to
appear
| > | Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 14:13:58 -0600
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
| > |
| > | I have two Vista machines, both using Vista Business.
| > |
| > | "Machine 1" had many large files on the desktop (iso files I
downloaded,
| > | etc). I deleted them all.
| > |
| > | I logged onto Vista "Machine" 1 from my home XP machine using Remote
| > | Desktop. It took a long time to log on, like there was a large roaming
| > | profile loading. When it came up, the old icons were back. When I
logged
| > in
| > | locally at work the next day, I deleted all the files from the dekstop
| > again
| > | and forgot all about it.
| > |
| > | I installed Vista onto a second machine. Then I logged on from home to
| > | "Machine 2" using Remote Desktop. Oddly, the unwanted icons from the
| > FIRST
| > | desktop appeared on my new desktop. Also, my Live Messenger contact
list
| > was
| > | duplicated (that's very annoying). I came into work today and deleted
| > them
| > | all again.
| > |
| > | I do not have roaming profiles enabled, though I DO have folder
| > redirection
| > | setup for My Documents/ My Pictures/ My Music.
| > |
| > | I'm baffled. I don't know where these old desktop icons are stored, or
| > why
| > | my Live Messenger contact list doubled itself up. I just did a search
of
| > the
| > | file server that holds user directories, etc and there are no .iso
files
| > on
| > | there. I'm baffled.
| > |
| > | Note sure if this is relevant: We log into a Kerberos Realm when we
log
| > into
| > | Windows, this sometimes complicates user accounts.??
| > |

(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/howto/kerbstep
| > mspx)
| > |
| > | Thanks in advance for any help!
| > | Simon
| > |
| > |

Simon Collier

Hi Ken:

Two points:

1. This issue only occurs when connecting with Remote Desktop, therefore I
cannot test in Safe Mode.

2. I was wrong about one of the points I made: I do not logon to Machine 2
with Kerberos Realm credentials; only Machine 1. Therefore, I think the
Kerberos Realm logon is a red herring. This appears to be more of a Windows
XP / domain user profile issue (?).

Thanks!

Simon

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hi Simon,

Please test the issue in Safe Mode with Network to see if the issue still
occurs in this mode.
Start your computer in safe mode
<http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/323ef48f-7b93-4079-a48a
-5c58eec904a11033.mspx>

Also you may boot into Clean Boot mode using MSCONFIG to monitor the issue
again.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
rights.

--------------------
| From: "Simon Collier" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Connecting to Vista with RDP causes old desktop icons to
appear
| Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 15:26:21 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| Hi Ken:
|
| Sorry for the delay.
|
| Yes, the issue only occurs when I logon using the Kerberos Realm
| credentials. When I logon using the domain account, it does not happen.
(So
| REALM\user1 is mapped to DOMAIN\user1. When I logon as REALM\user1 the
old
| files come over, when I logon as DOMAIN\user1 they do not.)
|
| Thanks!
| Simon
|

| | > Hello Simon,
| >
| > Thank you for using newsgroup!
| >
| > From your post, does the issue only occur when you log into a Kerberos
| > Realm when you log into Windows?
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > ====================================================
| > rights.
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Simon Collier" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Connecting to Vista with RDP causes old desktop icons to
appear
| > | Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 14:13:58 -0600
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
| > |
| > | I have two Vista machines, both using Vista Business.
| > |
| > | "Machine 1" had many large files on the desktop (iso files I
downloaded,
| > | etc). I deleted them all.
| > |
| > | I logged onto Vista "Machine" 1 from my home XP machine using Remote
| > | Desktop. It took a long time to log on, like there was a large
roaming
| > | profile loading. When it came up, the old icons were back. When I
logged
| > in
| > | locally at work the next day, I deleted all the files from the
dekstop
| > again
| > | and forgot all about it.
| > |
| > | I installed Vista onto a second machine. Then I logged on from home
| > | "Machine 2" using Remote Desktop. Oddly, the unwanted icons from the
| > FIRST
| > | desktop appeared on my new desktop. Also, my Live Messenger contact
list
| > was
| > | duplicated (that's very annoying). I came into work today and
deleted
| > them
| > | all again.
| > |
| > | I do not have roaming profiles enabled, though I DO have folder
| > redirection
| > | setup for My Documents/ My Pictures/ My Music.
| > |
| > | I'm baffled. I don't know where these old desktop icons are stored,
or
| > why
| > | my Live Messenger contact list doubled itself up. I just did a
search
of
| > the
| > | file server that holds user directories, etc and there are no .iso
files
| > on
| > | there. I'm baffled.
| > |
| > | Note sure if this is relevant: We log into a Kerberos Realm when we
log
| > into
| > | Windows, this sometimes complicates user accounts.??
| > |

(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/howto/kerbstep
| > mspx)
| > |
| > | Thanks in advance for any help!
| > | Simon
| > |
| > |

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Simon,

Does the issue also occur when you boot into Clean Boot mode using
MSCONFIG? What about other different user profiles?

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: "Simon Collier" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Connecting to Vista with RDP causes old desktop icons to
appear
| Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 09:08:45 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| Hi Ken:
|
| Two points:
|
| 1. This issue only occurs when connecting with Remote Desktop, therefore
| cannot test in Safe Mode.
|
| 2. I was wrong about one of the points I made: I do not logon to Machine
2
| with Kerberos Realm credentials; only Machine 1. Therefore, I think the
| Kerberos Realm logon is a red herring. This appears to be more of a
Windows
| XP / domain user profile issue (?).
|
| Thanks!
|
| Simon
|

| | > Hi Simon,
| >
| > Please test the issue in Safe Mode with Network to see if the issue
still
| > occurs in this mode.
| > Start your computer in safe mode

<http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/323ef48f-7b93-4079-a48a
| > -5c58eec904a11033.mspx>
| >
| > Also you may boot into Clean Boot mode using MSCONFIG to monitor the
issue
| > again.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| > ====================================================
| > rights.
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Simon Collier" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Connecting to Vista with RDP causes old desktop icons to
| > appear
| > | Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 15:26:21 -0600
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
| > |
| > | Hi Ken:
| > |
| > | Sorry for the delay.
| > |
| > | Yes, the issue only occurs when I logon using the Kerberos Realm
| > | credentials. When I logon using the domain account, it does not
happen.
| > (So
| > | REALM\user1 is mapped to DOMAIN\user1. When I logon as REALM\user1 the
| > old
| > | files come over, when I logon as DOMAIN\user1 they do not.)
| > |
| > | Thanks!
| > | Simon
| > |
| > |

Kerberos

| > so

| > appear
| > | > |
| > downloaded,
| > | > |
Remote
| > roaming
| > logged
| > dekstop
| > | > |
| > list
| > deleted
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > or
| > search
| > of
| > files
| > | > |
| > log
| > | > |

(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/howto/kerbstep
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Simon,

I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any updates
or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let me
know.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: (e-mail address removed) ("Ken Zhao [MSFT]")
| Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 06:02:06 GMT
| Subject: Re: Connecting to Vista with RDP causes old desktop icons to
appear
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| Hi Simon,
|
| Does the issue also occur when you boot into Clean Boot mode using
| MSCONFIG? What about other different user profiles?
|
| Thanks & Regards,
|
| Ken Zhao
|
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| ====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| ====================================================
rights.

| --------------------
| | From: "Simon Collier" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Re: Connecting to Vista with RDP causes old desktop icons to
| appear
| | Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 09:08:45 -0600
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
| | cannot test in Safe Mode.
| |
| | 2. I was wrong about one of the points I made: I do not logon to
Machine
| 2
| | with Kerberos Realm credentials; only Machine 1. Therefore, I think the
| | Kerberos Realm logon is a red herring. This appears to be more of a
| Windows
| | XP / domain user profile issue (?).
| |
| | Thanks!
| |
| | Simon
| |
| |

| | > Please test the issue in Safe Mode with Network to see if the issue
| still
| | > occurs in this mode.
| | > Start your computer in safe mode

<http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/323ef48f-7b93-4079-a48a
| | > -5c58eec904a11033.mspx>
| | >
| | > Also you may boot into Clean Boot mode using MSCONFIG to monitor the
| issue
| | > again.
| | >
| | > Thanks & Regards,
| | >
| | > Ken Zhao
| | >
| | > Microsoft Online Support
| | > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
| | >
| | > Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| | > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| | > ====================================================
| | > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| | > that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| | > ====================================================
| | > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| | > rights.
| | >

| | > --------------------
| | > appear
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| happen.
| | > (So
| | > old
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |

| Kerberos

| newsreader
| | > so

| | > appear
| | > | > |
| | > downloaded,
| | > | > |
| Remote
| | > roaming
| | > logged
| | > dekstop
| | > | > |
| home
| the
| contact
| | > list
| | > deleted
| | > | > |
| | > | > |
| stored,
| | > or
| | > search
| | > of
| | > files
| | > | > |
| we
| | > log
| | > | > |

(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/howto/kerbstep
| | > | > |
| | > | > |
| | > | > |

| | > |
| | > |

| |
| |

Simon Collier

Sorry for the delay. I will tyr this! Not sure what you mean by "clean
boot"? Diagnostic mode? Or will that disable remote desktop access?

Thanks!
Simon

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hi Simon,

Does the issue also occur when you boot into Clean Boot mode using
MSCONFIG? What about other different user profiles?

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
rights.

--------------------
| From: "Simon Collier" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Connecting to Vista with RDP causes old desktop icons to
appear
| Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 09:08:45 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| Hi Ken:
|
| Two points:
|
| 1. This issue only occurs when connecting with Remote Desktop, therefore
| cannot test in Safe Mode.
|
| 2. I was wrong about one of the points I made: I do not logon to Machine
2
| with Kerberos Realm credentials; only Machine 1. Therefore, I think the
| Kerberos Realm logon is a red herring. This appears to be more of a
Windows
| XP / domain user profile issue (?).
|
| Thanks!
|
| Simon
|

| | > Hi Simon,
| >
| > Please test the issue in Safe Mode with Network to see if the issue
still
| > occurs in this mode.
| > Start your computer in safe mode

<http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/323ef48f-7b93-4079-a48a
| > -5c58eec904a11033.mspx>
| >
| > Also you may boot into Clean Boot mode using MSCONFIG to monitor the
issue
| > again.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > ====================================================
| > rights.
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Simon Collier" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Connecting to Vista with RDP causes old desktop icons
| > appear
| > | Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 15:26:21 -0600
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
| > |
| > | Hi Ken:
| > |
| > | Sorry for the delay.
| > |
| > | Yes, the issue only occurs when I logon using the Kerberos Realm
| > | credentials. When I logon using the domain account, it does not
happen.
| > (So
| > | REALM\user1 is mapped to DOMAIN\user1. When I logon as REALM\user1
the
| > old
| > | files come over, when I logon as DOMAIN\user1 they do not.)
| > |
| > | Thanks!
| > | Simon
| > |
| > |

Kerberos

| > so

| > appear
| > | > |
| > downloaded,
| > | > |
Remote
| > roaming
| > logged
| > dekstop
| > | > |
| > list
| > deleted
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > or
| > search
| > of
| > files
| > | > |
| > log
| > | > |

(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/howto/kerbstep
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Simon Collier

Hi Ken:

Can you please describe to me what Clean Boot is, and how I can accomplish
this? I need Windows to accept Remote Desktop connections, so Diagnostic
Mode does not work.

Thanks.
Simon

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hi Simon,

Does the issue also occur when you boot into Clean Boot mode using
MSCONFIG? What about other different user profiles?

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
rights.

--------------------
| From: "Simon Collier" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Connecting to Vista with RDP causes old desktop icons to
appear
| Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 09:08:45 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| Hi Ken:
|
| Two points:
|
| 1. This issue only occurs when connecting with Remote Desktop,
therefore
| cannot test in Safe Mode.
|
| 2. I was wrong about one of the points I made: I do not logon to
Machine
2
| with Kerberos Realm credentials; only Machine 1. Therefore, I think the
| Kerberos Realm logon is a red herring. This appears to be more of a
Windows
| XP / domain user profile issue (?).
|
| Thanks!
|
| Simon
|

| | > Hi Simon,
| >
| > Please test the issue in Safe Mode with Network to see if the issue
still
| > occurs in this mode.
| > Start your computer in safe mode

<http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/323ef48f-7b93-4079-a48a
| > -5c58eec904a11033.mspx>
| >
| > Also you may boot into Clean Boot mode using MSCONFIG to monitor the
issue
| > again.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > ====================================================
| > rights.
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Simon Collier" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Connecting to Vista with RDP causes old desktop icons
| > appear
| > | Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 15:26:21 -0600
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
| > |
| > | Hi Ken:
| > |
| > | Sorry for the delay.
| > |
| > | Yes, the issue only occurs when I logon using the Kerberos Realm
| > | credentials. When I logon using the domain account, it does not
happen.
| > (So
| > | REALM\user1 is mapped to DOMAIN\user1. When I logon as REALM\user1
the
| > old
| > | files come over, when I logon as DOMAIN\user1 they do not.)
| > |
| > | Thanks!
| > | Simon
| > |
| > |

Kerberos

| > so

| > appear
| > | > |
| > downloaded,
| > | > |
Remote
| > roaming
| > logged
| > dekstop
| > | > |
from
the
| > list
| > deleted
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > or
| > search
| > of
| > files
| > | > |
when
we
| > log
| > | > |

(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/howto/kerbstep
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Simon,

Here is the Clean Boot troubleshooting steps:

Note: You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the
Administrators group to follow these steps. If the computer is connected to
a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from follow these
steps.

1. Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press
ENTER.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type
your password, or click Continue.
2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then clear the Load
system services and Load Startup Items check boxes. You cannot clear the
Use Original Boot.ini check box.
3. On the Services tab, select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box,
and then click Disable All.
4. Click OK, and then click Restart to restart the computer.
5. After Windows starts, determine whether the symptoms still occur.
Note: Look closely at the General tab to make sure that the check boxes
that you cleared are still cleared. Continue to step 6 if all of the check
boxes are cleared. If the Load System Services check box is the only
disabled check box, the computer is not clean-booted. If additional check
boxes are disabled and the issue is not resolved, you may require help from
the manufacturer of the program that puts a check mark back in Msconfig.

If all of the check boxes are cleared, and the issue is not resolved, you
may have to repeat steps 1 through 5. However, you may also have to clear
the Load System Services check box on the General tab. This temporarily
disables Microsoft services (such as, Networking, Plug and Play, Event
Logging, and Error Reporting) and permanently deletes all restore points
for the System Restore utility. Do not do this if you want to keep your
restore points for System Restore or if you must use a Microsoft service to
test the issue.

6. Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press
ENTER.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type
your password, or click Continue.
7. On the General tab, select the Load system services check box, click OK,
and then click Restart to restart the computer. If the issue continues, the
issue is with one of the System services. If the issue does not continue,
repeat this step for the Load Startup Items check box. After the issue
occurs, the last item that you selected is the item where the issue is
occurring.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: "Simon Collier" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Connecting to Vista with RDP causes old desktop icons to
appear
| Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 09:27:12 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| Hi Ken:
|
| Can you please describe to me what Clean Boot is, and how I can
accomplish
| this? I need Windows to accept Remote Desktop connections, so Diagnostic
| Mode does not work.
|
| Thanks.
| Simon
|

| | > Sorry for the delay. I will tyr this! Not sure what you mean by "clean
| > boot"? Diagnostic mode? Or will that disable remote desktop access?
| >
| > Thanks!
| > Simon

| >> Does the issue also occur when you boot into Clean Boot mode using
| >> MSCONFIG? What about other different user profiles?
| >>
| >> Thanks & Regards,
| >>
| >> Ken Zhao
| >>
| >> Microsoft Online Support
| >> Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
| >>
| >> Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| >> <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| >> ====================================================
| >> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| >> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| >> ====================================================
| >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| >> rights.
| >>

| >> --------------------
| >> appear
| >> |
| >> Machine
| >> 2
| >> Windows
| >> |
| >> |
| >> |
| >> |

| >> still

<http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/323ef48f-7b93-4079-a48a

| >> issue

| >> so

| >> | > |
| >> | > |
| >> happen.
REALM\user1
| >> the
| >> | > |
| >> | > |
| >> | > |
message

| >> Kerberos

| >> newsreader
| >> no

| >> | > | > |
| >> | > | > |
| >> Remote
When
| >> | > | > |
| >> home
| >> from
| >> the
| >> contact
| >> | > | > |
| >> | > | > |
| >> stored,
| >> .iso
| >> | > | > |
| >> when
| >> we
| >> | > | > |

(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/howto/kerbstep
| >> | > | > |
| >> | > | > |
| >> | > | > |

| >> | > |
| >> | > |

| >> |
| >> |

> [...]

| 7. On the General tab, select the Load system services check box, click
OK,
| and then click Restart to restart the computer. If the issue continues,
the
| issue is with one of the System services. If the issue does not continue,
| repeat this step for the Load Startup Items check box. After the issue
| occurs, the last item that you selected is the item where the issue is
| occurring.
|
| Thanks & Regards,
|
| Ken Zhao
|
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| ====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

| |
| | Can you please describe to me what Clean Boot is, and how I can
| accomplish
| | this? I need Windows to accept Remote Desktop connections, so
Diagnostic
| | Mode does not work.
| |
| | Thanks.
| | Simon
| |
| |
| |
| | > boot"? Diagnostic mode? Or will that disable remote desktop access?
| | >
| | > Thanks!
| | > Simon

| so

| | >> |