PSU went BANG!

Reaction score
Swithched on at plug prior to turning on PC - "BANG" unpleasant smell of burning, not happy!

So my question is, will the PSU blowing up have fried everything else? Is my PC a write off or can I simply replace the PSU? If so how easy is this? I was considering it before (previous thread) as my fan was getting noisy, I didn't expect it to blow up before I could do anything about it!

Assuming it is fried, is it possible to recover the hard drive and the data on it?

Heeeelllpppppppp!

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
the only way you will find out is if you try another PSU i guess.

by the way, was your PSU which went bang made by Q-Tec?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Loud as hell when they do that ...

As The Reefa said, you'll have to buy/try another PSU.

I've seen various degrees of severity ... from the whole system down to just the PSU. :(

Reaction score
I had a whole lot of PSU's do that to me on work experience, i didn't know what happened, as it blew all the fuses in the office.

Made me very nervous about testing more PC's after i had a PSU explode on me.

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Brain damage?

ChrisIMRIE said:
I had a whole lot of PSU's do that to me on work experience, i didn't know what happened, as it blew all the fuses in the office.

Made me very nervous about testing more PC's after i had a PSU explode on me.
Scared the hell out of me when mine went!

I could smell faint burning so I had my head next to the machine, sniffing, and it went pop when my ears were about 12" away from the case. At least my brains were a safe distance away, ie. At least 3 feet.:D

Reaction score
I had a psu blow once and it took the motherboard out but all the drives and stuff where fine but as muckshifter said it depends on the degree of severity, if your lucky it would have blown nothing, if your unlucky everything could be dead.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
you may be lucky because the system wasn't actually on, but you'll need to get a new PSU to test it all

my dad beeing an electrician cut a live wire when i was helping him once, it left a nice scorch mark on the ceiling and a hole in his cutters :mad:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Ouch! Was he ok?

yeah, scared the
eusa_silenced.gif
out of him though ;)

Reaction score
You may or may not be interested to know that having installed new psu everything seems to be working fine, infact better than before as its much quieter, having got my taking things out and putting new things in confidence I might look at some better fans (main one on case is main offender) as its still quite noisy, any recommendations?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
We are always interested to hear a happy ending ... :thumb:

Fans? ... the boys here will have some preferences, me, I just look for one that uses bearing. ;)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
zalman and pabst make really quiet fans, its good to know nothing got fried :thumb:

Ask a Question