Programming in Linux

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm thinking about using Linux for a project I'm doing at the moment, but I don't know much about the programming aspect of it. Is it easy enough to code for using the standard languages?

I doubt anything similar and as easy to use a Visual Basic exists for it, but if it does that would be able to handle the project without a problem!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Excellent, thanks for that Mucks :) Looks like it will have to be C++!

Reaction score
linux is simply made for those who want to dabble with languages :D

one language is much the same as another, C++ is great for some things but my advice would be to start with a language that umm does something interesting right out the box,, something like PHP - install apache on your linux pick up the php manual http://www.php.net/docs.php and off you go, you can make a simple web counter for instance,. there's loads of php scripts round the 'net for free to pull code from :)

Sil

Reaction score
This thread is worth of resurrection ;)

You can program in soooooo many languages it will make your head spin....... and NO need to buy anything to do it ;) Thats the beauty part :D :D

http://www.usalug.org/phpBB2/index.php?c=3

Some of the languages you can program include:

Bash (and several OTHER shell scripting languages)
Awk & Sed
Perl
Python
PhP
Ruby
Java
C
C++

and that's not all of them ;) Compilers are usually already installed by default for c and c++ , and downloading and installing compilers for java and others is relatively painless. If you ever wanted to learn programming.... Linux makes it easy to get started ;)

Ask a Question