The Beginner’s Guide to Nano, the Linux Command-Line Text Editor

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
The Beginner’s Guide to Nano, the Linux Command-Line Text Editor

When getting used to the command-line, Linux novices are often put off by other, more advanced text editors such as vim and emacs. While they are excellent programs, they do have a bit of a learning curve. Enter Nano, an easy-to-use text editor that proves itself versatile and simple. Nano is installed by default in Ubuntu and many other Linux distros and works well in conjunction with sudo, which is why we love it so much.

A clear and informative article on one of the basic tools. :cool:

Reaction score
Oh thanks for that Abarbarian I have not used command line yet, at the moment haven't needed to use it as still learning the basics of running a Linux distro:thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Another article on NANO with some good clear information for new users.

https://www.linux.com/learn/sysadmin/introduction-text-editors-get-know-nano-and-vim

Nano
Nano has been my editor of choice for a very long time. Because I don’t code nearly as much I used to, I typically have no need of the programming power found in vi. Most often, I simply need to create a Bash script or tweak a configuration file. For that, I turn to the simplicity of Nano.

Nano offers text editing without the steeper learning curve found in vi. In fact, nano is quite simple to use. I’ll walk you through the process of creating a file in nano, editing the file, and saving the file.

:cool:

Reaction score
Thanks for that Abarbarian not sure I understood much of that, I think I picked the right Distro with Mint Cinnamon as a beginner with Linux though.:thumb:

Ask a Question