Problems with Uninstalling Software

Hi!

A month or so ago I tried to connect a Logitech QuickCam to my computer
without installing the software first - I thought the computer would "detect"
it and look for the appropriate software (camera borrowed from a friend).
When it didn't work, I then downloaded the software from the Logitech site,
but when I tried to install the software, part way through installation a
grey box popped up with "Uninstalling Devices" and a few seconds later it
crashed and came up with "Device Removal Module has encountered a problem and
needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Send Error Message....
etc" I thought it might have been because I didn't install the camera
properly.

So... yesterday I went out and bought my own brand new camera, with
installation disk. This time, I read the instructions and didn't plug the
camera in first. Installation started fine, then SAME problem! Part way
through, the grey box appears (with the "Installer" icon) saying
"Uninstalling Devices" and then it crashes and I get the "...Sorry for the
inconvenience" message.

I went to Control Panel and tried to use Add/Remove Programs to get rid of
the previous version of QuickCam software that I downloaded (8.4.7), but got
a weird message:
SetupDll\SetupDll.cpp (462)
PAPP: Logitech QuickCam
PVENDOR: Logitech (http://www.logitech.com)
PGUID: C43048A9-742C-4DAD-90D2-E3B53C9DB825
$9.1.0.429
@Windows xp Service Pack 2 (2600) IE 6.0.2900.2180

When I clicked OK, it came up with another message and "Error Code: -5001"

I've tried the Logitech site, and some of their suggestions. I treid
"Booting Clean" and then re-installing, I've tried deleting all the .tmp and
..chk files and then re-installing, but EVERY time, I get to the grey box with
"Uninstalling Devices" and it crashes!!!!

Please help!

Regards,
Janine

Brian A.

Start here:
Using the Technical Support Tools
http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com...nNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9Ng**&p_li=&p_topview=1

or if link breaks: http://snipurl.com/vv5w

How Do I Uninstall and Reinstall the QuickCam Software
http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com...nNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9NA**&p_li=&p_topview=1

or if link breaks: http://snipurl.com/vv5r

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Brian A.

I'm suggesting he let a professional help him remotely. I have been doing
this for 13 years - This is going to be the last time I ask you not to make
disparaging posts about me. Seriously.

Brian A.

Newsgroups are not about solicitation by those that help, they're about
helping the user in resolving their issue with the assistance of all involved in
the newsgroup. I always have and always will alert a user to any possible
ramifications to certain situations. Some appreciate it and others don't, for
those that don't, Thppppppppppppppppppppp!

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Ken Blake, MVP

FutureTechSys.com said:
I'm suggesting he let a professional help him remotely. I have been
doing this for 13 years - This is going to be the last time I ask you
not to make disparaging posts about me. Seriously.

I'll echo what Brian said.

This has nothing to do with desparaging posts about you or about anybody
else. This is a peer-support newsgroup. Answers to people's questions belong
*here*, and not in private E-mail. One of the best things about newsgroups
is that all answers are subject to everybody else's scrutiny. If somebody
gets something wrong. it gets corrected by somebody else. Or somebody else
may suggest an easier way to do something, say it in a better way, clarify a
point, etc.

It doesn't matter how many years' experience you have. *Anybody* can make a
mistake, and we all occasionally do. I have many more years' experience than
you do, and I occasionally make mistakes. *None* of us is perfect.

It would be extremely foolish of Janine or anybody else to take the kind of
suggestion you offered. If you are truly here to help, and not just promote
yourself, be a good newsgroup citizen and do it the way the rest of us do
it--by answering questions here publicly, where they are subject to scrutiny
(and disagreement or correction if necessary) by everyone else.

And over and above all that, nobody knows that you have 13 years' experience
or that you are what you say you are. All we know is what you say. It's a
crazy world out there and there *are* malicious people who delight in
screwing up other people's computers. Don't take that as disparagement or an
accusation; that's probably *not* your intent, and you probably truly want
to help. But it's always a possibility and it would be foolhardy to ignore
that possibility. For the same reason I always recommend that nobody run an
executable file sent to them by a stranger in a newsgroup--not even if it
comes from me.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Then I apologize if I jumped the gun. I guess I just got a little on the
defensive side. However, being that a majority of the business my company
does is remote support, I don't really like that you would suggest that it
would be "extremely foolish" for someone to accept remote help. If I were
some random person on the internet, fine.. but my company has an established
website complete with all of our contact info. Anybody is welcome to email,
visit, or call to verify I am who I say I am. We all offer help in different
ways, and that happens to be our specialty. Things I know the answer to
right off the bat, I provide the answer to. If it's something we'd need to
see to fix, then thats the route I usually go.

John Jay Smith

I have helped people remotely for free and made sure everything was
documented on the newsgroups
so others can benefit from the experience.

All you guys are right (if there is good intention involved).

Newsgroups must contain the solution along with the answer.. and sometimes
more
help is needed than just posting a reply. Often remote help is far better...
since you can understand the problem better and correct it fast.

I also go one step further and teach the person with the question what
was wrong and why it happened.

The goal is dual. To assist the one, and the many.

But hey.. there are not many people that have a golden heart like I do....

So care must be given on who you give access to mess around with your pc

Brian A.

You're totally missing what's being said. It is extremely foolish for any
user to just open the door to any Tom, Dick and/or Harry when they don't know
who they are or what they're about. When people need help they either look
around for it or they go to someone they know and trust.
Any person with smart sense won't retain someone that solicits their service
or wares that they don't know, didn't ask for or didn't seek out. That's not
saying the solicitor isn't capable or competent, they very well may be, yet the
one with the problem doesn't know that.

We all help out others remotely, and I'm not speaking of ng's or forums. For
some it's their means of income while others do it simply to help out, and there
isn't anything bad about it. What is bad are the many that come down the road
with offers that are only meant for ill intentions, and many can't tell the good
from the bad and the ugly.

For those reasons and many more unmentioned ones, it doesn't matter if someone
has been in business an x number of years, or has a nice big shiny truck and
"always" greets everyone with a smile. If they get retained by being forward
with solicitation, that makes the retainee and extremely foolish person.

And as for your statement:
<quote>
If I were some random person on the internet, fine.. but my company has an
established website complete with all of our contact info. Anybody is welcome
to email, visit, or call to verify I am who I say I am.
</quote>

You are some random person on the internet, no different than the rest of us,
unless you're hiding from us that you have a personal relationship with everyone
on the net. The simple fact that your establishment has an established web site
doesn't mean every Peter, Paul and Mary know of you. There are hundreds, and
I'm being conservative, well established sites on the net that are not on the
UPnUP, so having an established site means squat. Calling you, emailing and/or
visiting the site falls in the same category, squat if the person doesn't know
you. Only thorough research on any company along with comparisons to other
companys, should anyone decide to open a door to those they don't know.

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

John Jay Smith

You are right, and it is easy to deceive if someone wants to...
since humans are the weakest link in the security of any given system.
Not that I think that Chris would ever do such a thing....

but it is kind of risky.... if you go to a companies site that has all the
data posted on a site,
fine... but random internet people may be out looking for sneaky ways of
deception.

I have never heard about a case like this, but I can imagine something like
this happening.

I have to say however... that the people who I have helped on the
internet....
later become my friends forever, most of the time....

I guess its my style that shows them that I truly care, and all I want to do
is help....
and I do this only because I want to help others... no other reason.

Some words of wisdom, specifically for you Brian:

So Brian your words of caution may be correct, but too much fear is ALSO the
wrong
way to go. You seem to have fear governing your internet activities, don't
do this don't do that....
I bet you have 2 firewalls and update your antivirus daily... and freak out
with the notion that
you could go online without a firewall because there are all those "bad
guys" out to get you.

Man loosen up.... I believe that is the WRONG way to go, even though it
seems logical at first...
Im not saying to be a fool.. But to be afraid of everything and everyone is
a problem that keeps you
back from other things. May it be discovery, learning, or even making
friends....

Could I extend this to non-computer-internet related things? Sure I can....

The law of attraction clearly states that if you focus on bad things
happening, even if you don't want them, you attract them to you.
Fear is a negative feeling that enhances this attraction 100 times,
so let go of the fear, be wise, but don't be afraid so much it hinders your
growth.
When you say I afraid that a hacker will hack me, you imagine someone
hacking...
and that image in your mind brings it closer to you. Sorry but this is how
things truly work.

Who you trust is more complex than following a rule of the thumb....and
although it is good to be careful...
you must not confuse care with the fear to live and enjoy and learn and
expand.

Brian A.

John said:
You are right, and it is easy to deceive if someone wants to...
since humans are the weakest link in the security of any given system.
Not that I think that Chris would ever do such a thing....

but it is kind of risky.... if you go to a companies site that has all the
data posted on a site,
fine... but random internet people may be out looking for sneaky ways of
deception.

I have never heard about a case like this, but I can imagine something like
this happening.

I have to say however... that the people who I have helped on the
internet....
later become my friends forever, most of the time....

I guess its my style that shows them that I truly care, and all I want to do
is help....
and I do this only because I want to help others... no other reason.

You were doing ok up to, and only up to this point. Anywhere past this point
you became alien, WTF planet are you from anyway. You have not a clue in the
world about me, and I'm not sure you have one of yourself now. You are so off
course a GPS couldn't help in finding you. Fear is not in my vocabulary, not
out on the comfort of the streets or my home. What makes you think I'd fear
something that can't even physically attempt to harm me? Sheesh!
If you call ahead of time, maybe the couch will be fluffed and warmed up for you
so there's no delay in your chat time.

Words of wisdom, Yeah Right! Trizzle Trazzle Truzzle Trome, Time for you to
get on home.

Anyone who wants to read his self diagnosis can do so, it's not snipped, it's
below my sig.

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

OOPS! Seems I've started quite a "discussion". Sorry I didn't get back to you
earlier - I posted at midnight, and didn't get a chance to try out the
solutions until tonight.

I couldn't get the Technical Support Tools to work - I followed the
instructions to the letter, tyring all the methods listed, but couldn't get
them to launch from the disk.

The other solution wouldn't work either, as it suggested using the
"Add/Install Programs", which I've already tried, and which gave the strange
error message I typed in my original post.

Any more suggestions? All help gratefully accepted.

Cheers,
Janine
(Australia)

Brian A.

No Oops! on your part, you are not the cause for the discussion.

Back to the issue on hand.

Boot to Safe Mode > Device Manager.
Look for any/all duplicate devices listed as Storage Volume.
Remove any/all cameras if listed.
Check the USB Controllers for any cameras listed.
Remove any/all cameras if listed.
Close out of DM.

Go to the Control Panel if you ar not already there.
Open Add/Remove Programs.
Uninstall anything related to cameras if listed.
Close out back to the Desktop.

Open Explorer, expand the tree to each folder below and delete the contents of
the folders.
c:\documents and settings\your user name folder\local settings\temp

c:\windows\prefetch

c:\windows\temp

When finished Reboot and try to reinstall the drivers/software for the camera.

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

John Jay Smith

Shut up fool

Brian A. said:
You were doing ok up to, and only up to this point. Anywhere past this
point you became alien, WTF planet are you from anyway. You have not a
clue in the world about me, and I'm not sure you have one of yourself now.
You are so off course a GPS couldn't help in finding you. Fear is not in
my vocabulary, not out on the comfort of the streets or my home. What
makes you think I'd fear something that can't even physically attempt to
harm me? Sheesh!
again. If you call ahead of time, maybe the couch will be fluffed and
warmed up for you so there's no delay in your chat time.

Words of wisdom, Yeah Right! Trizzle Trazzle Truzzle Trome, Time for you
to get on home.

Anyone who wants to read his self diagnosis can do so, it's not snipped,
it's below my sig.

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

John Jay Smith

Sorry... I was going to give this guy a full reply.. but he wouldnt
understand it anyway..
so I deleted what I wrote and just wrote shutup fool....
It seems that he had no clue what I was talking about....

<snip to save you a a millionth of a trillionth of a second of download
time>

Ken Blake, MVP

FutureTechSys.com said:
Then I apologize if I jumped the gun. I guess I just got a little on
the defensive side. However, being that a majority of the business
my company does is remote support, I don't really like that you would
suggest that it would be "extremely foolish" for someone to accept
remote help.

No, I said nothing about someone accepting remote help. That's not what is
"extremely foolish." There's a world of difference between someone going to
a support company looking for and accepting remote help, and that person
accepting remote help from a stranger on a newsgroup

If I were some random person on the internet, fine..

That's exactly the point. You *are* a random person on the internet. Just
because you say you are with a particular company doesn't make it so. And
it's not realistic to expect someone looking for help here to take the
trouble to verify whether you are or not.

Moreover, and most important, you are subject to error just as the rest of
us are, and therefore your answers shoulds be subject to the scrutiny of the
rest of us. Because you may not be who you say you are, and because even if
you were, your answers could well be wrong or incomplete, it would be
extremely foolish of someone to take you at face value and believe
everything you say.

Brian A.

John Jay Smith

why cant someone make up a false support company page and
trick people into believing he is a serious buisnessman?

Its the internet! You can do anything.... lol

Scams are everywhere.. you get emails that are from paypal
calling you to "update" your information.... lol.. fake of course...

Your logic does not apply.. since you dont know what is real and what is
not.

Only if you go from word of mouth or selece a very well known support site
you can be sure....

But I believe people in the US after 9-11 have a great fear of everything...

just stay in your house.. lock the door and unplug the computer... oh

stop breathing too because there might be bugs in the air.