Problems with Startup

Reaction score
Using - Windows XP Home Edition (service pack 3)
Connecting - mobile broadband
AV - AVG Free
Spec - Pentium 4 2.4 GHz 512 mb ram

Hi, Can anyone help???

I've started having problems when switching the p.c. on. It has started switching itself off, well, re booting I think you would probably call it and can quite often take 5 or six attempts before starting up properly. It sometimes opens up another screen where i have to confirm the processor speed before going any further.

I'm not really that technically minded as you can probably tell but would be grateful of any help at all.

Thanks

Reaction score
Additional Info

I've just received the following after the p.c. eventually started up - 'The sound card is not properly installed in the system'. The sound seems to be working fine.

I didn't start to get this message until after the original issue began.

Thanks.

Reaction score
hi feckit,

The p.c. is about six years old give or take and to date, other than a power unit which I replaced myself, has been really reliable. It isn't under warranty.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi,

Sounds like you could have a settings problem in the BIOS,

Go in the BIOS at startup and set it to default settings, try that, also there will be a round battery the size of a 2 pence piece on the motherboard, this will probably need replacing after 6 years, this is called a CMOS battery and keeps the BIOS settings.

If none of these work then try flashing the BIOS as it maybe corrupt.

Hopefully some of the more brainy guys will come to the rescue, although with a PC being 6 years it could be just about anything.

Ask a Question