Slow PC startup

Reaction score
I noticed that my windows is starting up longer than before. This happened after I got some sort of disk error - the partition suddenly became unknown partitions. I backed up my files, formatted my harddisk and reinstalled my windows.

Before the disk error Iit only takes about 5 - 8 seconds for my windows to startup, now it takes about 25 -30 seconds. T_T

can anybody help me with my problem? thanks.

PC specs:
Pentium 4 2.8 GHz
256mb Geforce fx video card
512mb ram
windows XP
Directx 9.0c

Reaction score
A regular cause of a slow startup is the accumulation of junk that ends up in the taskbar and startup file. With a fresh windows install and any other programs that may have been restored i'm guessing theres plenty in that startup file that doesn't need to be there.
Mine currently has around 30 items in it, but only 3 are checked and in use. I boot within 5secs (35 with all items checked)

You can access this by choosing RUN from your start menu and typing msconfig. Select the startup tab and uncheck anything that you don't need. **DO NOT remove anything unless you are sure it is not required**

Alternatively, does scandisk now show bad HDD sectors on your drive? Where sectors have become unreadable/damaged in the startup area of your drive which slows the initial bootup.

Ask a Question