Which speed 6200 should i use?

Reaction score
I've got an oldish computer, problem is at the time it was when it was an AGP slot, so i'm looking for a nvdia 6200 graphics card, there's two types there's a 256mb one and a 512mb one. The specs of my machine are as follows:

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+ 2.21 GHz
1.00GB memory DDR
32 bit operating system.

When i've looked for the card the slight thing that i'm wondering is where it says 512mb DDR2 when advertising the memory on the graphics card and also where it says supports 64 bit, will the 512mb card be OK for mine or would i need to go for the 256mb one? Its just i have been told that where it says that for the card specs, that is what is on the card and won't affect your computer. They are both the same price i have seen them for, i'm also going to ask about on here is anyone has one.

But before do just would like to clear the above up, don't want to end up with the wrong one.

Thanks

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
welcome to PCR

there are/were several types of AGP, if you can give us the name/make/model motherboard, we could better steer you.

Pop over to this thread and choose one of the System Information Tools we recommend ... Speccy should be all you need. ;)

:user:

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
there are/were several types of AGP, if you can give us the name/make/model motherboard, we could better steer you.

Pop over to this thread and choose one of the System Information Tools we recommend ... Speccy should be all you need. ;)

Thanks for that program its very handy, here is the info you requested is there anything else you need or is that OK?

Motherboard
Mode lASRock K8Upgrade-VM800
Version 1.00
Chipset Vendor VIA
Chipset Model K8M400 (VT8380)
Chipset Revision 00
Southbridge Vendor VIA
Southbridge Model VT8237
Southbridge Revision 00
BIOS
Brand American Megatrends Inc.
Version P1.80
Date 10/14/2005

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
The graphics card you are looking for, must match the AGP8X/4X slot, 1.5V

you can find more info on your MB from ...

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?model=k8upgrade-vm800

... I think you are aware that your system is quite "old" so I would advise not to go mad, price wise, with the card you do purchase. Take your time.

Thanks for the advice on that, i've seen one quite cheap in PC world and Curry's for £39.99 which i suppose it quite cheap for AGP card considering i'm finding it very hard to get one elsewhere for that price, i am hoping to have another computer soon but not sure when, but my target was around £40 anyway, as you said its an old computer so i'm not going mad on prices.

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
The graphics card you are looking for, must match the AGP8X/4X slot, 1.5V

you can find more info on your MB from ...

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?model=k8upgrade-vm800

... I think you are aware that your system is quite "old" so I would advise not to go mad, price wise, with the card you do purchase. Take your time.

Thanks muckshifter for the advice, got the 6200 512mb x8 card and works a dream, only cost £39.99p aswell, which i suppose ain't bad for an AGP card considering hard to get one and everywhere else was charging over that.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Wolfenstein said:
Thanks muckshifter for the advice, got the 6200 512mb x8 card and works a dream, only cost £39.99p aswell, which i suppose ain't bad for an AGP card considering hard to get one and everywhere else was charging over that.
Nice, glad you're pleased ... gave the system an extended lease of life. :D

Ask a Question