Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family Error 39/VGASave Problem

Reaction score
I have a Acer Aspire 5738Z with the below spec:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 2999 Mb
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 0 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 295242 MB, Free - 5092 MB;
Motherboard: Acer, JV50
Antivirus: Prevx 3.0, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

I am not 100% but I think(?) that prevx may have found some false positives and deleted them (I have used Prevx for years and have always trusted it hence the willingness to jsut delete anything it found. I have already tried to undo the cleanup etc but to no avail.

The problem I have is that under Device Manager the Display Adapter is showing a yellow exclamation mark against the two entries for "Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family". With an error 39 (Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing). When I try to change the display settings (as the resolution has changed for the worst) I cannot change the resolution. Display Settings> Advanced Settings>Adapter Type>Properties shows VGASAVE.

I suspect PrevX may have removed a file needed by the drivers (binary, I/O?) as I have downloaded the latest drivers from Intel (using ther utility) and tried the safe mode route of unistalling and reinstalling the drivers etc bt nothing works.

Other things I have tried are:

System restore - no restore point set. Stupidly turned it off when I needed a bit of extra space and didn't switch it back on

sfc scannow (cant see anything in there that is causing a problem?)

chkdsk /f & /r

Tried looking for and deleting upper and lower filters against display in regedit but no value found.

My last resort is to use Acers eRecovery system but was wondering if I could avoid that as I think that even though it doesn't delete user files it does delete programs and throws all personnal data in a backup folder on C: which I'd rather avoid if at all possible?

Any suggestions please?

Reaction score
I would start by trying to rollback the driver. If that fails, maybe try here (I think) to download and install a new driver from Intel. If that doesn't work, I would start looking at other drivers for the rig and see if it helps. Good luck!

Reaction score
Hi, I have downloaded and ran setup for the VGA driver noted below, used the last one in the VGA list:

Intel8.15.10.189225.3 MB10/19/2010

However, I get an error message saying "this computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software. Setup will exit."

The spec from Acers website is:

Intel® Pentium® mobile processor T4200 (1 MB L2 cache, 2 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 35 W), or T3200/T3400 (1 MB L2 cache, 2/2.16 GHz GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 35 W), supporting Intel® 64 architecture
Mobile Intel® GL40 Express Chipset
Acer InviLink™ Nplify™3, 4, 802.11b/g/Draft-N Wi-Fi CERTIFIED® network connection, supporting Acer SignalUp™ wireless technology
Acer InviLink™4 802.11b/g Wi-Fi CERTIFIED® network connection, supporting Acer SignalUp™ wireless technology

I also note that in the "Installatin Read Me.txt" for the driver you sugested it says that system requirements are for a GL40 Express Chipset which according to the details from Acers website (above) it has. So why the error message noted above?

Thanks again in advance for your help.

Reaction score
There's this new feature in Acer downloading drivers site that allow a downloaded small program to check and update drivers .. It's very handy and useful . This feature will appear in a blue line on the main downloading page .

Ask a Question