Problems Printing After XP Upgrade from 98SE

I have a client whom I recently upgraded to XP from 98SE. Their primary
application is a DOS application, and their primary printer is a shared
Laserjet 6p. They are on a peer to peer network.

After the upgrade, at first, test pages printed from all workstations as
expected. Upon attempting to print from the DOS application (Foxpro 2.5 I
believe), A print job would show up in the queue, then disappear without
printing, then more jobs would be added continuously. Hundreds of jobs would
stack up very quickly.

I resolved the problem by deleting the print queue and the drivers from the
server then re-installing. This solved the problem for about one week, then
the problem re-appeared.

I then tried using the newest driver on the HP web site. The same problem
occurred. Next I deleted the queue and drivers again and re-added using the
XP driver again. This solved the problem but I don't know for how long or
what causes it to re-appear.

E Ortega

Do this:

1. share the printer on the host computer (make sure the share name is
short,ex: LASER)
2. Log on to the client computer, click START | RUN and type CMD
3.Type NET USE LPT1: \\HOSTCOMPUTERNAME\LASER /PERSISTENT:YES (you must do
this for every user on the client computer not just the administrator).

Hope this helps.

E Ortega

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

First, I want to appreciate all valuable input above. Thanks!

For your issue, based on my research, by default, most MS-DOS-based
programs print directly to either the LPT1 port or to the LPT2 port.
However, the output is not automatically routed across a redirector to a
print share unless you use one of the following methods.

Method 1 (Ortega has mentioned)
===============
Use the net.exe command to establish a persistent connection. To do this,
use the following syntax at a command prompt
net use lptx \\printserver\sharename /persistent:yes
where x is the number of the printer port that you want to map, where
printserver is the print server that is sharing the printer, and where
sharename is the name of the printer share.

For example, to map LPT1 to a printer shared as Laser1 on a print server
that is named Pserver, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
3. Type net use lpt1 \\pserver\laser1 /persistent:yes, and then press
ENTER.
4. To quit the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER.
Note: In Windows XP, non-administrative users cannot map an LPT port to a
network printer path when the LPT port exists on the computer as a physical
parallel port.
313644: Non-administrators cannot remap an LPT port to a network printer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313644/

Method 2
===============
Print directly to the printer share by using the following syntax at a
command prompt
print /d:\\printserver\sharenamedrive:\path\filename
where printserver is the print server sharing the printer, where sharename
is the name of the printer share, and where drive:, path, and filename make
up the complete path of the document that you want to print.

For example, to print a document that is named letter.doc from the root
directory of drive C to a printer shared as Laser1 on a print server that
is named Pserver, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
3. Type print /d:\\pserver\laser1 c:\letter.doc, and then press ENTER.

The following command-line message appears:
C:\letter.doc is currently being printed
4. To quit the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER.
Because Novell NetWare's CAPTURE command is not supported in Windows XP,
use the following command to map the LPT port to a Novell NetWare print
queue:
net use lptx \\server\queue
If the LPT port is redirected successfully, you receive the following
message:
The command completed successfully.
To disconnect persistent LPTx connections, use the following syntax:
net use lptx /delete

More detailed information, please refer to the article:
314499: How to print to a network printer from an MS-DOS-based program in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314499

I hope the information helps!

Best regards,

Ken Zhao
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.

This and other support options are available here:
BCPS:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

Support page: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx.

| From: =?Utf-8?B?amU3Mzgz?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Problems Printing After XP Upgrade from 98SE
| Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:07:02 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
|
| Thanks, but it's a printer connected to LPT1: of the host machine.
| --
| JE
|

| "Byte" wrote:
|
| > May find some help here.
| > Print From DOS with WindowsXP
| > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm
| > --
| > Some days you're the windshield,
| > some days you're the bug.
| >

| > "je7383" wrote:
| >
| > > I have a client whom I recently upgraded to XP from 98SE. Their
primary
| > > application is a DOS application, and their primary printer is a
shared
| > > Laserjet 6p. They are on a peer to peer network.
| > >
| > > After the upgrade, at first, test pages printed from all workstations
as
| > > expected. Upon attempting to print from the DOS application (Foxpro
2.5 I
| > > believe), A print job would show up in the queue, then disappear
without
| > > printing, then more jobs would be added continuously. Hundreds of
jobs would
| > > stack up very quickly.
| > >
| > > I resolved the problem by deleting the print queue and the drivers
from the
| > > server then re-installing. This solved the problem for about one
week, then
| > > the problem re-appeared.
| > >
| > > I then tried using the newest driver on the HP web site. The same
problem
| > > occurred. Next I deleted the queue and drivers again and re-added
using the
| > > XP driver again. This solved the problem but I don't know for how
long or
| > > what causes it to re-appear.
| > >
| > > Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
| > > --
| > > JE

Ken,
I've done the net use /persistent=yes, and I can get everything to print.
The real problem is that after printing perfectly for a while, it seems like
until a power down possibly, then jobs enter the que, but don't print.

In addition to not printing, the jobs multiply. For example if you delete
all of the jobs from the queue and print a test page from XP, from either the
workstation that is directly connected to the printer, or one that is using
it accross the network, as soon as the test page enters the queue and goes to
the printing state, another one enters the queue in the spooling state.

Eventually the queue fills with hundreds of jobs that do not print.

I resolved the problem yesterday by: clearing the queue, deleting the queue,
removing the driver from the server, re-starting the workstation and let it
discover the printer and load the software on it's own.

This morning I was called and told that it has the same error! I talked the
staff through the above steps and it works fine again.

Manually installing the printer failed to fix the problem yesterday. It had
to be installed automatically to work. Also the new driver on HP's site did
not work.

Once again, the problem isn't that I can't ever get it to print, but rather
it works for a while and then goes nuts.

I hope this clarifies exactly what's happening.

Thanks

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Jeff,

I am sorry to hear that the problem re-occurs after you clean the queue of
print jobs.

Reviewing your original post, I notice you are using a shared printer. At
this point, please help me double-confirm the following information:

1. What is the exact OS system that connected to the printer directly?

2. Can you print any local print jobs correctly in the system which
connected to the printer directly?

3. Does the issue occur on only one Windows XP client or all other Windows
XP clients?

4. To isolate the DOS application influence, please help me confirm if you
can print any documents from other applications correctly (i.e. Word,
Excel, and Notepad).

5. If possible, I also suggest you try the following suggestions to test:
1) Remove the printer to another machine to make a test.
2) Replace the printer with other printers to see if the issue also occurs
on other printers.

6. Use Clean Boot to eliminate third party interference
To isolate the influence of additional applications, please boot the system
into a Clean Boot environment to see whether this problem continues:

1. Unplug all the unnecessary devices, with only the keyboard, the mouse
left.
2. Click Start, click Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in
the Open box, and then click OK.
3. In the Startup tab, click the "Disable All" button.
4. In the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" checkbox,
and then click the "Disable All" button.
5. Click OK and restart your computer.

310560: How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560

For more detailed troubleshooting steps, please refer to the articles:
314085: Troubleshooting general printing problems in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314085

314073: How to troubleshoot network printing problems in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314073

If you have any update or results, please feel free to post back.

Thanks & Regards,

> [...]

| > This and other support options are available here:
| > BCPS:

https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
| > Others:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

| > If you are outside the United States, please visit our International
| > Support page: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx.
| > =====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: =?Utf-8?B?amU3Mzgz?= <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: RE: Problems Printing After XP Upgrade from 98SE
| > | Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:07:02 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
| > |
| > | Thanks, but it's a printer connected to LPT1: of the host machine.
| > |
| > |
| > | "Byte" wrote:
| > |

| > primary
| > shared

| > as
| > 2.5 I
| > without
| > jobs would

| > from the
| > week, then

| > problem
| > using the
| > long or

| > |

Ken,
As of this morning, everyone is still printing fine. The problem started
immediately after the upgrade to XP, but I was able to resolve it. It
returned approximately 1 week later, but I was able to resolve it in the same
way.

1. The workstation that hosts the printer is running XP Pro SP2. It was
recently upgraded from 98 SE.

2. When we are experiencing the problem, local and remote jobs fail in the
same manner.

3. All Windows XP clients that are using the printer experience the same
problem.

4. Once the problem occurs, it affects all print jobs, local and remote,
from DOS applications or Windows applications including test pages.

5. If the problem reoccurs, I'll definately move the printer to another
workstation, but if I do that, I'll have to create the queue and re-share it
from the new pc. These are the same steps taken to resolve the problem now so
I'm sure that it will alleviate the problem at least for awhile.

6. Since the problems survives re-boot, I'll probably try this before step 5.

JE

Ken Zhao said:
> [...]

| > This and other support options are available here:
| > BCPS:

https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
| > Others:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

| > If you are outside the United States, please visit our International
| > Support page: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx.
| > =====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: =?Utf-8?B?amU3Mzgz?= <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: RE: Problems Printing After XP Upgrade from 98SE
| > | Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:07:02 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
| > |
| > | Thanks, but it's a printer connected to LPT1: of the host machine.
| > |
| > |
| > | "Byte" wrote:
| > |

| > primary
| > shared

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for further clarification!

For your specific issue, at this moment, I also want to provide the
following steps to clean the printer subsystem completely on the
workstation that hosts the printer, and then reinstall it again.

Step1.
=============
1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
2. In the right pane, right-click Print Spooler service to select Stop.

Step2. Clean the printer subsystem completely
=============
WARNING:
a) Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may
require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee
that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be
solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

b) Using this method will remove all of the printer drivers installed on
the system. You need to reinstall the printer drive in order for the
printer to work.

1. Log into the system as an administrator, click Start >> Run, input
regedit and click OK to run regedit.exe.

2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print, click
Registry->Export Registry File on the menu, and export the current key to a
REG file for backup. (Note: You may double click on the REG file in Windows
Explorer to restore the original settings)

3. Go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environment\Window
s NT x86\Drivers, remove both the Version-2 and Version-3 keys.

4. Remove all sub keys under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers. (DO NOT
REMOVE THE PRINTERS KEY.)

5. Go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environment\Window
s NT x86\PrintProcessors, delete any processor that is not the following:

winprint

6. Go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Providers, delete
any provider that is not one of the following:

Internet Print Provider
LanMan Print Services

7. Refer to
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors],
delete any monitor that is not one of the following:

BJ Language Monitor
Local Port
PJL Language Monitor
Standard TCP/IP Port
USB Monitor
Windows NT Fax Monitor
AppleTalk Printing Devices
LPR Port

8. Exit the registry editor.

9. Remove all files from the following directories:
C:\WINNT\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\2
C:\WINNT\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3

Step3.
=============
Please reboot and install the printer driver again to test the issue again.

Hope the suggestion helps!

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Newsgroup Web Interface Upgrade
Please complete a one-time registration process on your first visit to the
Partner Portal beginning July 11, 2005 at 9 A.M. PST by entering the secure
code mspp2005 when prompted. This secure code will be valid for 6 months
after which you will need to update your registration by entering the new
secure code. We will post announcements in the newsgroups prior to
expiration. Once you have entered the secure code mspp2005 , you will be
able to update your profile and access the the partner newsgroups. Please
update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current link
will redirect until November 1, 2005.
Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more
information, please go to:
https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001
4662

--------------------
> [...]
| > |
| > | I resolved the problem yesterday by: clearing the queue, deleting the
| > queue,
| > | removing the driver from the server, re-starting the workstation and
let
| > it
| > | discover the printer and load the software on it's own.
| > |
| > | This morning I was called and told that it has the same error! I
talked
| > the
| > | staff through the above steps and it works fine again.
| > |
| > | Manually installing the printer failed to fix the problem yesterday.
It
| > had
| > | to be installed automatically to work. Also the new driver on HP's
| > |
| > | Once again, the problem isn't that I can't ever get it to print, but
| > rather
| > | it works for a while and then goes nuts.
| > |
| > | I hope this clarifies exactly what's happening.
| > |
| > | Thanks
| > |
| > | --
| > | JE
| > |
| > |
| > | "Ken Zhao [MSFT]" wrote:
| > |

| > this,

| > server
| > physical

| > sharename
| > make

| > that
ENTER.

Windows
| > XP,

| > in

| > so
| > phone
| > all

https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
| > https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

International
http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx.
| > rights.

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

Their

Ken,
I'll try this this week when I get back to see this client. I just wanted to
leave an update here. After getiing it to work last Monday by the steps that
I mentioned before, the printing worked for the entire week.

This morning after being powered off all weekend, the problem came back.
Since I was getting them going over the phone, I just used the workaround
that I came up with and it worked. I'll try the complete removal that you've
posted when I get there this week, and we'll see if the problem comes back.

Thanks for all of your help.

--
JE

Ken Zhao said:
> [...]

rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: =?Utf-8?B?amU3Mzgz?= <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: RE: Problems Printing After XP Upgrade from 98SE
| > | Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 06:59:05 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
| > |
| > | Ken,
| > | I've done the net use /persistent=yes, and I can get everything to
print.
| > | The real problem is that after printing perfectly for a while, it
seems
| > like
| > | until a power down possibly, then jobs enter the que, but don't print.
| > |
| > | In addition to not printing, the jobs multiply. For example if you
delete
| > | all of the jobs from the queue and print a test page from XP, from

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Jeff,

Please feel free to try my suggestions and if you have any results, also
please feel free to let me know.

Hope that helps!

> [...]

| > will redirect until November 1, 2005.
| > Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
| > microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more
| > information, please go to:

https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001
| > 4662
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: =?Utf-8?B?amU3Mzgz?= <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: RE: Problems Printing After XP Upgrade from 98SE
| > | Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 07:34:03 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
| > |
| > | Ken,
| > | As of this morning, everyone is still printing fine. The problem
started
| > | immediately after the upgrade to XP, but I was able to resolve it. It
| > | returned approximately 1 week later, but I was able to resolve it in
| > |
| > | 1. The workstation that hosts the printer is running XP Pro SP2. It
was
| > | recently upgraded from 98 SE.
| > |
| > | 2. When we are experiencing the problem, local and remote jobs fail
in
| > the
| > | same manner.
| > |
| > | 3. All Windows XP clients that are using the printer experience the
same
| > | problem.
| > |
| > | 4. Once the problem occurs, it affects all print jobs, local and
remote,
| > | from DOS applications or Windows applications including test pages.
| > |
| > | 5. If the problem reoccurs, I'll definately move the printer to
another
| > | workstation, but if I do that, I'll have to create the queue and
re-share
| > it
| > | from the new pc. These are the same steps taken to resolve the
problem
| > now so
| > | I'm sure that it will alleviate the problem at least for awhile.
| > |
| > | 6. Since the problems survives re-boot, I'll probably try this before
| > step 5.
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > | --