Windows XP Problem with c/windows/help

Reaction score
So about a month ago my browser started opening slowly. Now a week ago it has started to open really slow. Now it takes about 5 minutes to load. (admittedly my 4 year old does play on my pc a lot, nickjr games and such, I always catch the wife letting her play) I decided to try and figure out what the problem was. I first tried deleting cookies and the like. Nothing changed. I then moved onto running checkdisk and a defrag. Both of them froze up the computer within 10 minutes. I ran the chkdsk /r in cmd prmt, it finished in literally 5 seconds, after reboot.

I also tried to run a few different virus/malware programs. They would run fine until freezing upon c/windows/help/tours. Now every time I try to either open TOURS, or delete/rename/scan HELP, the computer freezes up. I can't even ctrl+alt+delete, that just goes to a blank screen. I have just assumed I will have to reformat, and I have prepared to do so. Anyone have any ideas? I hope I'm missing something obvious. I build my own computers, but still have a hard time with these types of issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am running xp 32 bit sp3.

Reaction score
Well forget it. I just decided to reformat and do a fresh install. Thanks for the views at least! :lol:

Reaction score
Hi Just seen your post. Have you run anything like Malwarebytes as it sounds like you have got a virus or worm, The other problem about XP is if your edition is not SP3 you will not be able to register it so I hope you have SP3 on a DVD/CD otherwise should you do a reformat you could be looking a new OS

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi and thanks. I did use Malwarebytes and it would always freeze up when scanning that specific file. Same with everything else. I just reformatted. Took maybe 35 minutes to get everything going again. Was able to get sp3 from Microsoft as well as activate my copy. I seemed to remember reformatting used to be a pain, guess not. :thumb:

Thanks again.

Ask a Question