Windows XP Problem installing Win 98

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Yes, I know you're wondering 'why would he want to install Win 98?' but bear with me.

This is the machine's setup:

Asus M2V AM2 motherboard, Via chipset
AMD 64 3200 2Ghz CPU
1Gb (2 x 512Mb) Kingston PC6400 DDR2 Memory
Asus Nvidia GS7300 512Mb pci-e video card
On IDE 1 - A hard disk caddy with five swappable hard disk trays; A DVD-ROM drive
On IDE 2 - 2 x 80Gb Hard Drives
A floppy disk drive
350W Jeantech PSU

This was an upgrade from the last of my socket A systems which, together with a new PSU (old one had no 4 pin 12V socket) came to £187.00, whch I thought was quite reasonable, especially as I look to be getting about £80.00 - £90.00 back from selling off the old bits.

However, I digress, I can't seem to install Windows 98.

I have Win XP Pro installed fine on one of the swappable hard disks and PC Linux OS 2007 on another, both of which run OK (although I'm having a problem with LAN and Audio drivers with Linux, but I'll deal with that in another thread).

I also ran an evaluation copy of Vista Ultimate on it briefly, no problems.

So, the machine would appear to be functioning ok.

I formatted a 20Gb hard drive to FAT 32 using Paragon Disk Manager booting from a floppy.

Booted from a Win 98 boot disk and put the Win 98 CD in the DVD ROM drive.

F: >> F:setup gives me the following ('scuse last pic, I didn't use a flash, and it's bit blurred)

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

I've never seen that message before, ever - anybody got any ideas?

First thing I done was update the BIOS and I've also used a Win 98 disk in perfect condition, cos the one I was using is a little bit scratched. Didn't make any difference.

I'm stumped - anybody any ideas?

The reason I want to install Win 98 is purely for old games, btw, it's good to be able to swap about between 5 OS's without having to worry about the mbr getting hosed.

I'm wondering whether the motherboard's architecture might be a prob? The buses, perhaps?

Still, what I need is a solution, any help apreciated :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ok, guys, forget this one, here's a reply I got over at my other forum, together with my response.

It's kinda self-explanatory:

Grogan said:
Of course you're going to have trouble installing Windows 98 on modern hardware. It doesn't even know how to talk to your disk controllers. It also doesn't speak PCI Express (which is not just your video card) Updating the bios won't help.

You are likely to be unsuccessful... even if you did manage to get it to install it'll likely just blow up in your face, soon after every install. I'd doubt that Windows 98 chipset drivers are available for that system and it's probably not even possible to support PCI-E.

I did suspect that may be case, as hinted at in my comment about the board's bus architecture.

Guess I'll be giving up on that one then :(

Thanks, OrganG, for your comments, it makes sense.

Eventually, when I can earn enough for a flat screen TV, this machine will lose the caddies and become a media centre, probably with Vista cos of the Media Centre thingies.

Maybe then I'll put the feelers out for an old junker, socket A, Pentium 3, whatever, just to run Win 98 on, cos I do have a really excellent selection of old games that will only run on Win 98. I still getta lot of enjoyment playing them games :)

In the meantime, I'll also keep an eye out for anybody throwing out an old machine.

Again, Mr G - thanks.

Reaction score
Could you not run Windows 98 within VMWare & install the games to the virtual pc??

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
feckit said:
Could you not run Windows 98 within VMWare & install the games to the virtual pc??

You know, I'm really not sure, that was the first thing I thought of, tbh, I will have to look into it.

Thanks for reply :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It would work a treat under VMWare (or MS Virtual machine) - I've done it myself to run "Constructor" :)

Ask a Question