Printing to Network Printer

BigK

I am unable to get network printing to work in vista beta 2.

I install the printers (I have two, an Epson Color R200 and a Samsung
SCX-4016)
One has a driver in Windows (the Epson) and the other (Samsung) does not so
I downloaded and tried to use the XP driver in compatibility mode.

They install ok and act like they are printing the test page, but after it
says it has printed then nothing happens.

I have made sure that I can write to the computer.
I've enabled printer sharing in the firewall.
But nothing.

I forgot to mention I am trying to print via a wifi network. The computers
all have static IP addresses. I can see the shared printers on the XP
machine and have been able to print to it in both XP and Ubuntu Linux from
this very same computer.

Raven Mill

I had the same problem and had to go in to the PORT settings to create a new
custom port. At that point, I was able to print to the printer, though it
takes about 90 seconds for the document to go through and actually start
printing. And, in the printed document settings, I had to set the priority
up some or it would simply not do much for about 10 minutes. I hope that
this is simply a driver setup issue and it will work better when the product
is released.

--
Takali S. Omega Sr
Host of TechTAK on KFAR 660am

|I am unable to get network printing to work in vista beta 2.
|
| I install the printers (I have two, an Epson Color R200 and a Samsung
| SCX-4016)
| One has a driver in Windows (the Epson) and the other (Samsung) does not
so
| I downloaded and tried to use the XP driver in compatibility mode.
|
| They install ok and act like they are printing the test page, but after it
| says it has printed then nothing happens.
|
| I have made sure that I can write to the computer.
| I've enabled printer sharing in the firewall.
| But nothing.
|
| I forgot to mention I am trying to print via a wifi network. The
computers
| all have static IP addresses. I can see the shared printers on the XP
| machine and have been able to print to it in both XP and Ubuntu Linux from
| this very same computer.

BigK

Raven Mill @techtak.com> said:
I had the same problem and had to go in to the PORT settings to create a
new
custom port. At that point, I was able to print to the printer, though it
takes about 90 seconds for the document to go through and actually start
printing. And, in the printed document settings, I had to set the
priority
up some or it would simply not do much for about 10 minutes. I hope that
this is simply a driver setup issue and it will work better when the
product
is released.

How did you set up the port?

Raven Mill

| "Raven Mill @techtak.com>" <ravenmill<nospam> wrote in message
| | >I had the same problem and had to go in to the PORT settings to create a
| >new
| > custom port. At that point, I was able to print to the printer, though
it
| > takes about 90 seconds for the document to go through and actually start
| > printing. And, in the printed document settings, I had to set the
| > priority
| > up some or it would simply not do much for about 10 minutes. I hope
that
| > this is simply a driver setup issue and it will work better when the
| > product
| > is released.
|
| How did you set up the port?

First off, you have to know a bit about setting up a printer port.

I simply created a new port from a working printer config and then went to
ADD printer. I'm not a great one to ask this of, but I simply typed in the
TCP/IP IP of the printer and everything else went easily a default...

BigK

I simply created a new port from a working printer config and then went to
ADD printer. I'm not a great one to ask this of, but I simply typed in
the
TCP/IP IP of the printer and everything else went easily a default...

Do you mean the IP address of the computer it is connected to?
192.169.1.xx?

Raven Mill

Ahhh...now you're talking about a SHARED printer...that's a whole different
ball of wax. It's also a bit more difficult as the host computer should be
where the driver is. (Though, if you're using x64 it doesn't need to...not
sure about x86)

okay...from Vista, double click on the printer's host computer in the
network...then double click on the printers icon.

you should see the shared printer there, double click on that.

You'll be asked a few questions and from there you'll need a driver for it
that works with Vista. I have an Epson R1800, a Xerox Phaser 8550, and a
Brother MFC 5840CN. All of these accepted the XP Pro x64 driver or the
Server 2003 x64 driver on Vista. It all depends on your printer...

If you need further help from there, tell ya what, join the techtak chatroom
(at techtak.com) and hollar for Takali (that's me) and if I'm there at the
moment, I'll walk ya through the 2 ways I had to do this...it's a bit
different for each printer, but I think I can get ya worked out. The only
thing you need to do from that, if I help you is make a post here of which
printer you have and how others with that printer can get it done. For some
reason, it looks as though I'm the big printer guy here, so I might as well
start helping folks, as that was the biggest problem I had and actually
overcame.

--
Takali S. Omega Sr
Host of TechTAK on KFAR 660am
Give a man fire and he's warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he's warm
for the rest of his life.

|> I simply created a new port from a working printer config and then went
| > ADD printer. I'm not a great one to ask this of, but I simply typed in
| > the
| > TCP/IP IP of the printer and everything else went easily a default...
|
| Do you mean the IP address of the computer it is connected to?
| 192.169.1.xx?

BigK

Thanks for your help. Really appreciate it.

I did as you suggested (instead of going through Add Printer)
And when it opened the printer I have a message in the title that says:
"EPSON Stylus Color R200 Series on EMACHINES Access Denied, unable to
connect"

Then another dialogue box says "StatusMonitor3 Environment Check stopped
working and was closed"
Next line in that box says, "A problem caused the service to stop working
correctly. Windows will notify you if a solution is available."
I click close and nothing happens.

Again thanks.

Len Segal

From a previous Beta (I think it was Server 2003), I found the exact same
problem with a Samsung printer. It was a printer driver problem . . .
Samsung seems to have some serious issues with their drivers! I've since
scrapped the Samsung printer (jam-o-matic with less than 300 pages thru the
laser printer and no warranty support when it happened) so I can't test out
my theory, but I'd be willing to bet on it.

Setting the IP address for the printer as a Port to use seems to work best.
Vista works fine this way with my Lexmark laser.

A trick I learned from a former boss in tech supt was to setup a printer as
"using LPT1" (and this was in a college with 1500 computers networked and
probably 400 network printers). When you are done, go back and set it to the
proper Port for your setup. Damned if that doesn't work each and every time.