David H. Lipman

From: "C. Moore" <[email protected]>

| I am running Windows XP Home on a Toshiba notebook. I recently tried to add
| a printer and got an error message when clicking on Add a Printer which says;
| print spooler not running. I was advised elsewhere to go to Run, and run
| "net start spooler" which I did but it didn't resolve the problem. I am
| still getting the error message. Any suggestions?

What was the result of starting the Print Spooler Service ?

If you run; services.msc

And you scroll down to; Print Spooler

What is its state ? Is it; "Started" ?

C. Moore

Sir

I ran "services.msc" as you suggested, got the window, moved down to print
spooler, and there was nothing to the right of the title entry. I did notice
several other entries had "started" next to their title.

I then noticed in the left pane, I could click on "start service" (or some
words like that). So. I clicked it and got teh following error message.
"Could not start the Print Spooler service on local computer. Error 1068.
The dependency servive or group failed to start."

I hope this tells you something as I'm baffled.

The other respondant asked if this was the only printer installed on this
machine. There are no printers installed. This is our road notebook and has
never had a printer installed. One time when I had it connected to my home
network, Windows tried to install the desk top Lexmark printer that is
connected to the desk top. I stopped teh install and then removed it.

Thanks for any help you might offer.

C. Moore

C. Moore

Dear sir

Please read the reply I sent the other person who posted.

It may shed some light and it will answer your question.

Thanks

C. Moore

David H. Lipman

From: "C. Moore" <[email protected]>

| Sir
|
| I ran "services.msc" as you suggested, got the window, moved down to print
| spooler, and there was nothing to the right of the title entry. I did notice
| several other entries had "started" next to their title.
|
| I then noticed in the left pane, I could click on "start service" (or some
| words like that). So. I clicked it and got teh following error message.
| "Could not start the Print Spooler service on local computer. Error 1068.
| The dependency servive or group failed to start."
|
| I hope this tells you something as I'm baffled.
|
| The other respondant asked if this was the only printer installed on this
| machine. There are no printers installed. This is our road notebook and has
| never had a printer installed. One time when I had it connected to my home
| network, Windows tried to install the desk top Lexmark printer that is
| connected to the desk top. I stopped teh install and then removed it.
|
| Thanks for any help you might offer.
|
| C. Moore

That's why 'Net Start Spooler', which is the command line method to start the service,
failed to help.

Using the SERVICES.MSC gives you a GUI so you can see if its state. Its state was not
started becuse ir requires proper operation of the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) which the
spooler service is dependent upon.

Again Using SERVICES.MSC scroll down to 'Remote Procedure Call (RPC)' and determine its
state. If it is not started, start it.

Does it start ?
BTW: Both services should be started automatically.

pcbutts1

I have seen this before with Lexmark and Xerox print drivers.

Warning! be very careful using regedit.

open regedit (e.g. click Start, key regedit and press Enter)

Navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows
NT x86\Drivers.

Under this key, there will be the keys Version-2 and Version-3 (one or the
other of these may be absent - not a problem) the sub-keys under these
contain the printer driver configuration information.

Delete all the sub-keys inside Version-2 and Version-3, but not these keys
themselves

The Microsoft Knowledgebase article at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312052 lists some
other registry entries to delete, but this is not usually necessary.

Open a Command Prompt window type the commands
net stop spooler

Open Windows Explorer, navigate to %systemroot%\system32\spool\printers\ and
delete any files there. By default, this is where the print spooler stores
print files.

Navigate to C:\Windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86. Inside w32x86, there
may be folders with the names 2 and 3 delete all of the files and
sub-folders in each of the 2 and 3 folders, but not the folders themselves.
Inside w32x86, there may be other folders with different names delete these
folders also.

Restart the print spooler using the command
net stop spooler
net start spooler

Since you mentioned a Lexmark printer, these additional steps may be
necessary. The Lexmark printer installation process sometimes installs a
service that makes the print spooler service dependent on itself. If there
is a problem with Lexmark service or a Lexmark printer driver the print
spooler service may not start see
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324757.
The steps below make the print spooler service only dependent on the Remote
Procedure Call (RPC) service (RPCSS), which is normal. The print spooler
service dependencies are stored in the registry at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Spooler\DependOnService

The sc config command below resets the value of that entry.

Open a Command Prompt window

Type the command
sc config spooler depend= RPCSS (note the space after the = but not before)

Restart the print spooler

If you are uncomfortable working within the registry then there is a MS
utility called cleanspl.exe which is included in the Server 2003 resorce kit
that you can download from here
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&DisplayLang=en

Run that utility.

C. Moore

Mr. Butts

I must report no success.

I tried the regedit technique you spelled out. I had one problem; one of
the steps you specified was to use Windows Explorer and navigate to
%systemroot%\system32\etc. I could not find this entry. I searched for it
with no success. So those files didn't get deleted. Can you give me better
idea of where to look?

Other than that, I followed the directions exactally. I still get "spooler
not running"

I downloaded the utility you mentioned and ran it. It gave me the error
message "unable to enumerate files in
'\\notebook\C$\windows\system32\spool\printer' matching the filter '*spl' the
network location cannot be reached. This confuses me as this is a stand
alone notebook that isn't connected to the network.

I am reluctant to reload the OS as all I have is the Toshiba rescue disk
with all of the crap they include (demo ware, AOL, etc.)

Most frustrating! Any more ideas or suggestions?

Thanks ever so much.

Chuck Moore

pcbutts1

That would be C:\windows\system32\spool\printers. For this
\\notebook\C$\windows\system32\spool\printer' where are you running the
cleanspl program from?

C. Moore

When I down loaded the file from MS, it was a compressed (.EXE) file. When I
ran it, it installed itself in the program files S/D on the C drive in its
own S/D. Looking in that S/D I found the file cleanspl.exe, and double
clicked it. It started and ran OK with the results I mentioned before. Was
this incorrect?

Remember that I had performed the manual steps you suggested before I ran
cleanspl.

Is there some way to correspond with you directly as both the Win 2000 and
XP machines at home won't allow me to post replies? Thanks again.

Chuck Moore

Leythos

pcbutts1 said:
My email is valid, however my spam filter will block you until you reply to
the confirmation email it will send you.

And only a fool would work with someone like you, not posting their
solutions properly in Usenet, hosting files for download on your filthy
porno site that you sucker people too for downloading.

--

Leythos
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"