Print Spooler keeps stopping on a new Dell Latitude running XP SP2

Newbie

Hi,

I have a weird problem with a few brand new laptops Dell Latitude D810 and
D410. They have XP SP2 and the print spooler keeps stopping for no reason.
As soon as a printer is added, or during the process of adding a printer,
the spooler gets stopped. Not sure what's causing it and the Event Viewer
doesn't show any useful information other than it tells the spooler service
has been stopped x times.

I'm not sure where to start so hopefully someone may have an answer to this,
thanks.

P.S. Could hardware be causing this?

Simon

Tom Che [MSFT]

Hi Simon,

Thanks for posting here.

From your post, my understanding of this issue is: When you try to install
a printer to some brand new Dell laptops with Windows XP SP2, the Printer
Spooler service stops. If this is not correct, please feel free to let me
know.

Based on my experience, you may refer to the following steps to
troubleshooting:

1. When the service stopped, can you start it again? You may try to
restart it from Services.msc snap-in or just run command "net start
spooler". If the service cannot be restarted successfully, please go to
next step.

2. Some old printer drivers are not compatible with XP SP2, and the
incompatible driver may cause similar issue. Therefore, please download
and install the latest driver (make sure it's compatible with SP2) for the
printer from the Web site of the printer manufacture. Then test this issue.

If the issue still occurs with compatible driver, please go to next step.

3. Clean the printer subsystem completely and then reinstall the printer
with latest driver:
WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that
may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot
guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor
can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

Using this method will remove all of the printer drivers installed on the
system. You need to install the latest printer driver in order for the
printer to work.

a. Log into the system as an administrator, click Start >> Run, input
regedit and click OK to run regedit.exe.

b. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print, click
Registry->Export Registry File on the menu, and export the current key to a
REG file for backup. (Note: You may double click on the REG file in
Windows Explorer to restore the original settings)

c. Go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environment\Window
s NT x86\Drivers, and then remove both the Version-2 and/or Version-3 keys.

d. Remove ALL SUB KEYS under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers. (Note:
DO NOT REMOVE THE PRINTERS KEY.)

e. Go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environment\Window
s NT x86\PrintProcessors, delete any processor that is not the following:

winprint

f. Go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Providers, delete
any provider that is not one of the following:

Internet Print Provider
LanMan Print Services

g. Refer to
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors],
delete any monitor that is not one of the following:

BJ Language Monitor
Local Port
PJL Language Monitor
Standard TCP/IP Port
USB Monitor
Windows NT Fax Monitor
AppleTalk Printing Devices
LPR Port

h. Exit the registry editor.

i. Remove all files from the following directories:

%windir%\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\2
and/or
%windir%\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3

j. Reboot and install the latest printer driver.

If the issue persists, please let me know the brand and model of the
printer for further assistance.

Hope this helps! Please try the suggestions above and let me know the
results at your earliest convenience. I look forward to hearing from you
soon.

Have a nice weekend!

Sincerely,

Tom Che

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Newbie

Hi,

I'll try the registry fix later on today when I can get a hold of the
laptop. It seems though, it's not related to drivers as I've tried
installing even a dummy printer picked from the list of available printers
in XP, still no good. I can always restart the service but as soon as I try
to do anything to do with printing (bringing up the Print selection page
from within programs, or browsing through the printer selection would make
the spooler to stop).

Event Viewer doesn't show useful information as it tells the spooler has
beens stopped for x times, but nothing more. Would DrWatson help to
troubleshoot?

Thanks,

Simon

Tom Che said:
Hi Simon,

Thanks for posting here.

From your post, my understanding of this issue is: When you try to install

rights.

--------------------
From: "Newbie" <[email protected]>
Subject: Print Spooler keeps stopping on a new Dell Latitude running XP
SP2
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 15:50:42 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support

Hi,

I have a weird problem with a few brand new laptops Dell Latitude D810 and
D410. They have XP SP2 and the print spooler keeps stopping for no reason.
As soon as a printer is added, or during the process of adding a printer,
the spooler gets stopped. Not sure what's causing it and the Event Viewer
doesn't show any useful information other than it tells the spooler service
has been stopped x times.

I'm not sure where to start so hopefully someone may have an answer to this,
thanks.

P.S. Could hardware be causing this?

Simon

Tom Che [MSFT]

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your response, and sorry for my delayed reply due to the weekend.

If the issue persists after Registry modification as my previous reply,
based on my further research, there is a KB article (KB810894) may help
you, it said this issue may also occur if the correct installation and
functionality of a newly installed printer is affected by an existing
third-party printer driver or service.

For example, this issue may occur if the LexBCE custom printer driver from
Lexmark is installed on your computer before you add another printer.

For more information, please visit the following Microsoft Web site:

Error message: Spooler subsystem app has encountered a problem and needs to
close
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/810894

I also copy and paste the method here just for your convenience.

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system.
Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from
using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

1. Start the computer in Safe mode and logon with administrator.

For additional information about starting your computer in Safe mode, click
Start, click Help and Support, type safe mode in the Search box, press
ENTER, and then click the Start Windows in Safe mode topic.

2. Start Windows Explorer, and then delete all files and folders in the
following two folders:
o c:\windows\system32\spool\printers
o c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86

3. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then press
ENTER.

4. Navigate to and then click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environment\Window
s NT x86

View the list of subkeys. There should be only the following subkeys:

- Drivers
- Print Processors

5. If there are any keys other than those listed in step 4, follow these
steps:

a. On the File menu, click Export.

b. In the File Name box, type a descriptive name for this key -- for
example, type WindowsNTx86regkey -- and then click Save.

You can use this backup of the

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environment\Window
s NT x86

registry key to restore the key if you experience any problems after you
complete this procedure.

c. Delete all keys other than those listed in step 4 .

6. Navigate to and then click the

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors

registry key. View the list of subkeys. There should be only the following
subkeys:

- BJ Language Monitor
- Local Port
- PJL Language Monitor
- Standard TCP/IP Port
- USB Monitor

7. If there are any keys other than those listed in step 6, follow these
steps:

a. On the File menu, click Export.

b. In the File Name box, type a descriptive name for this key -- for
example, type WindowsNTx86regkey -- and then click Save.

You can use this backup of the

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors

registry key to restore the key if you experience any problems after you
complete this procedure.

c. Delete all keys other than those listed in step 6.

8. Disconnect the printer cable from the computer, and then restart the
computer.

9. Reconnect the printer cable to the computer, install the printer
according to the manufacturer's installation instructions, and then try to
print a test page.

Hope this helps! Please try the suggestions above and let me know the
results at your earliest convenience. I look forward to hearing from you
soon.

Have a nice week!

Please note that the newsgroups are staffed weekdays by Microsoft Support
professionals to answer your non-urgent, break/fix systems and applications
questions. Our goal is to provide 24 hour response to all questions.

If this response time does not meet your needs, please contact Customer
Service and Support (CSS) for more immediate assistance. For more
information on available CSS services, please click here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607

Tom Che [MSFT]

Hi Simon,

I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any updates
or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let me
know. I am glad to be of assistance. :)

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

Tom Che
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.

This and other support options are available here:
BCPS:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

Support page: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx.

Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 08:14:05 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support

Hi,

I'll try the registry fix later on today when I can get a hold of the
laptop. It seems though, it's not related to drivers as I've tried
installing even a dummy printer picked from the list of available printers
in XP, still no good. I can always restart the service but as soon as I try
to do anything to do with printing (bringing up the Print selection page
from within programs, or browsing through the printer selection would make
the spooler to stop).

Event Viewer doesn't show useful information as it tells the spooler has
beens stopped for x times, but nothing more. Would DrWatson help to
troubleshoot?

Thanks,

Simon

Tom Che said:
Hi Simon,

Thanks for posting here.

From your post, my understanding of this issue is: When you try to install

From: "Newbie" <[email protected]>
SP2
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 15:50:42 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support

Hi,

I have a weird problem with a few brand new laptops Dell Latitude D810 and
D410. They have XP SP2 and the print spooler keeps stopping for no
reason.
As soon as a printer is added, or during the process of adding a printer,
the spooler gets stopped. Not sure what's causing it and the Event Viewer
doesn't show any useful information other than it tells the spooler
service
has been stopped x times.

I'm not sure where to start so hopefully someone may have an answer to
this,
thanks.

P.S. Could hardware be causing this?

Simon

Tom Che [MSFT]

Hi Simon,

I have not received any responses from you lately, and I am just wondering
if you require further assistance or if the issue has been resolved.
Please let me know if there is anything that I can do for you on it. I