Windows XP Print Spooler Crashes

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
I have looked all over for a reason, but have yet to find one.

Print Spooler keeps failing. Service starts, fails, restarts. This happens 2x with the third causing permanent service shutdown.

Windows XP Pro SP3 on domain with print server.

I have:

Run AV and Malware scan. (this appeared to happen after a minor infection of the AV2011 scammer)

Killed and deleted malware files (only one exe with 2 infected files, not uncommonn with this infection)

Run CleanSPL from the 2003 resource kit (clean print spooler of erroneous or corrupted drivers)

Removed the machine from the domain and back.

checked event logs (not much in the way of details except that the service has stopped

verified that my print server works from other clients. (i know the printers work and are available on the network)

Tested with both domain and local admin accounts (both on and off the domain)

Cleared startup and associated startup files to prevent conflict.

There are no printers installed on the machine. Not even a PDF printer. I open printers and faxes and there is only add printer. Since the spooler doesn't start, I cannot add a printer, even if it is a locally connected printer.

Thus far, everything I find talks about "remove/reinstall printer" or some variation. Since I have network printers and a print server, this isn't something that is necessary. I have removed the PDF and the like printers, but this has not resolved the problem.

I have a feeling that it is malware that could be stopping the spooler, I just cannot locate it. Anyone hear of something like this or combination of symptoms?

I ran Hijack this to check, but there does not seem to be anything out of the ordinary, or at least that I couldn't explain.

Reaction score
Hi,

Go to Start / Run and type in "services.msc" without quotation marks, then press Enter or click OK.

In the window that opens (Services) look for "Print Spooler" on the right

Right-click "Print Spooler" and select "Properties".

Click on the "Recovery" tab and change all 3 drop-down boxes to "Restart The Service".

Make sure the 2 text boxes underneath say "1" in them.

Click Ok until you are back at the Services window, close it and you're good to go.

Go back into the properties of the "Print Spooler" tab and be sure to click Start to restart the Print Spooler service and it will restart the service immediately.

The Print spooler depends on the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service. Is this service disabled? Go to services.msc look for RPC. Check state: Automatic

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Hi,

Go to Start / Run and type in "services.msc" without quotation marks, then press Enter or click OK.

In the window that opens (Services) look for "Print Spooler" on the right

Right-click "Print Spooler" and select "Properties".

Click on the "Recovery" tab and change all 3 drop-down boxes to "Restart The Service".

Make sure the 2 text boxes underneath say "1" in them.

Click Ok until you are back at the Services window, close it and you're good to go.

Go back into the properties of the "Print Spooler" tab and be sure to click Start to restart the Print Spooler service and it will restart the service immediately.

The Print spooler depends on the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service. Is this service disabled? Go to services.msc look for RPC. Check state: Automatic

Did that. This is why I know that the spooler is crashing. The service runs, fails, fail over, restarts. This continues until the 3-strike rule. Then it stops. The problem is, there is no error anywhere other than "service failed" in the system.

Ask a Question