2GB kingston RAM
6600 vanilla(PCIE)
160GB SATA drive
SB Audigy2
Intel P4 board.
3 extra case fans

now i bought a :
P4 3.4Ghz dual core
asus board with built in wifi(i forgot the model# as im in the office as im writing this).
7600 GS (PCIE)

im just wondering if the 400W PSU will be enough to supply power to the old and new parts????

thanks for the help.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
what make is the old PSU ? if its a decent make you should be ok, if not get a decent 450w

Reaction score
it doesnt really have a manufacturer,its one of those generic ones i think.
i opened my case and i didn't see any sticker or markings of any manugfacturer.

so a 450W should do ok.

im looking at these PSU online:
Enermax 485w Twin Fan EG495P-VE7
P4 Dynamo 450w 24pin LGA775 Twin Fan
Task 945TX 450w 2 crystal fan w/ LED
Task 955TX 550w GOLD series
CoolerMaster 430w

which one should i get?? is there a better manufacturer than the ones mentioned above??

Reaction score
thanks.will go out and get myself the enermax CPU after work.

i decided to build a whole new rig. im kind of excited coz this will be the very first PC that i will bulid out from scratch....

keep you guys posted and will post again for more questions... thanks again :)

Reaction score
hello its me again :)

got some of the parts of a local pc shop calld pcexpress.
in addition to the processor and the graphix card i bought i bought this additional stuff

SB audigy value(its cheap and 24bit so i guess its enough,,,, is it???)
got 2 120mm coller master modding fans
an 80mm fan
a 160 gb seagate baraccuda (ist the fastest i could find)
a 7600 GS 256 ddr2 128 bit

i also boght the enermax PSU you suggested.

will find the time this saturday to put it all together.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
personally i wouldn't have bothered with the soundcard as the onboard sound is more than adequate on most motherboards IMO

good idea to get some extra fans with the increased performance its always a good idea to upgrade the cooling as well :thumb:

a hard drive is a hard drive, they are all pretty much the same

i have the same graphics card you've just got (BFG version) and i must say for the price it performs suprisingly well and considering its SLI capable as well i'm definately getting a second when i have the cash :D

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
SB Value?
i suggest getting at least a Audigy 2 ZS, or better yet a X-fi soundcard :D

Reaction score
the reason i dont use the on board sound adapters on mother boards is that i had a bad experience with it on my other PC.... like when i play games it will slow down and the sound is delayed by a few seconds.then when i added a souond card it all worked well..

well i would really love to get the Xi Fi card as a like playing games on my PC but unfortunately i cant afford it at the moment.. maybe after the holliday season.

got all the parts needed for now, will put it together in a little bit. i will take some pictures too and post it here for other new users to see :)

Reaction score
ohhh this might be off topic but i read an article on the games forum about the GEFORCE 8800 as the first gfx card compatible with DX10...

what about the the older cards???? will it be compatible with DX10 ???

i read the specifications of my 7600 GS and it says its for DX9....

Covenant

Proud Cruncher
Reaction score
The card will be compatible with DX10 but won't take advantage of all the extra bits and pieces that a proper DX10 card will.

Covenant

Reaction score
thanks for the reply covenant.late reply though,i went on a little vacation.

anyways almost done with my new computer.

just encountered a small problem.the memory that i bought did not fit the memory slot on the mobo.i was furious and was pointing my finger with the guy that sold me the motherboard.
got it fixed anyway and found out its my fault and bought new memory for DDR2 board.i never knew there was a difference on the number of pins.got 2GB of Corsair value on the PC and set it to use the dual channel mode.
be bposting pics later when DSL at home comes up.been having problems since the Taiwan earthquake.
thanks for the suggestions.

PS.
im concerned with the temperature im getting on my CPU.im getting 60-62 celcius on my CPU.what can i do to bring the temperature down????

Covenant

Proud Cruncher
Reaction score
62c is high. Excuse me for asking the obvious but is the HSF fitted correctly ie nothing is fouling the HS to stop it sitting proerly on the cpu, and is there paste (but not too much) between the cpu and cooler?

If everything is as it should be, then it might be worth checking for a bios update that fixes incorrect temp readings.

Reaction score
i already updated the BIOS yesterday but still same reading.the bios update was just that so it will detect my processor correctly.im using the default HSF that came with the processor box.and if i remember correctly i followed the instructions on how to mount it making sure that i dont touch the inlaid paste on the heatsink.i mounted the HSF before the motherboard to the casing.

i have a fan on the side panel blowing directly over it bit it seems its not helping.i already tried with the air conditioning on but just lowers it to 56-58C.:(

i was thingking of replacing the HSF asembly but i dont have experience handling thermal pastes.any advise will help a lot... thanks :)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
The intel stock heatsinks aren't much cop - get yourself a Zalman CNPS7700-CU and use some Artic Silver 5 thermal compound :thumb:

Reaction score
thanks addyweb.i was browsing online earlier for a replacement and there's a lot of HSF's out there.i think i saw that HSF kind earlier.now that arctic silver 5 is good.i read some user review on it.
its just that i dont know how to use it,like how much will i sue on the HSF or the processor.if someone could guide me i'de really apreaciate it :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Regarding the X-Fi...

Just got one myself, (Xtreme Music) had it for a few days now, The card and the audio is great.......The drivers suck......Big time. :(

Its a shame, if Creative would make drivers to complement the quality of the X-Fi then it would be a great product.

Why do you need 700MB for an audio driver!?!?!? :confused:

I decided to use the drivers that you download from the creative site. Not the sh*t on the disk. Its a cut down version called the audio console. You don't get all the eye candy, and some of the functions are missing. But its only 45MB and it works.
user.gif

P.S, Dont get the Xtreme Audio, it isn't a true X-Fi!
nod.gif

Reaction score
thanks V_R:)
that article is really helpful.so just a small amount will do and you have to twist the heatsink to spread it evenlt.i'd imagine its going to be thinner that onion skin when it dries up...:nod:

i'm printing it right now while im still in the office.just want to ask this that should be enough right just a teeny weeny drop should do it???? sorry if it might seem im doubting the article but this will be the first time im doing this so i just want to be sure...
some words of assurance and encouragement would help too;)

thanks again.will post my progress soon...:thumb:

Ask a Question